MattSCSS LED lights

#1JUANstunna

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried it because Lazer Star states that their LEDs can run on AC no problem.

Do you have a link to which LED light Lazer Star sells that can operate on AC current? I have a writeup somewhere on here, but high power LED's cannot operate on straight AC current and last. I'm thinking that you are referring to their low power LED's, which do just fine on AC current.

I was really surprised too, I first read it in their catalog and went to their website then tried the one I had on hand. Did not want to fry them so I did not left them on for long.

http://www.lazerstar.net/index.php?main_page=faqs

"Q. If my quad doesn�t have a battery can I run LED�s?

A. Yes! Any of our LED�s will work on AC bikes, including the LX LED bars."

Dunno man !

I was really surprised too, I first read it in their catalog and went to their website then tried the one I had on hand. Did not want to fry them so I did not left them on for long.

http://www.lazerstar.net/index.php?main_page=faqs

"Q. If my quad doesn�t have a battery can I run LED�s?

A. Yes! Any of our LED�s will work on AC bikes, including the LX LED bars."

Dunno man !

Looks like they run a driver. It's not that uncommon, I've just never seen them actually sold that way. I have a few laying around that I did with drivers on them.

I haven't actually ever heard of those lights before. That's pretty cool, if only they could knock 80 bucks off of each one of them, I bet they'd actually sell.

I'd still do a DC Conversion with them though. The AC current that comes from these bikes is so dirty that I bet it'll eat up those drivers in short order. They're similar drivers that are used in household High Power LED lighting. I have a few GU10 LED bulbs that I used the drivers out of, and they worked great on a stock banshee, but still flickered at idle. Trail Tech's LED's did, and so did Baja Design's LED's.

Their prices are ridiculous.

Lazer Star always has been higher priced. They also tell you that the MR16 bulbs that you buy at Home Depot aren't the same ones they sell for their lights. The ones they sell are 3 or 4 times the price. :blink:

They make good quality stuff, but no better quality than you can get for 1/2 or 1/3 of the price elsewhere.

Looks like they run a driver. It's not that uncommon, I've just never seen them actually sold that way. I have a few laying around that I did with drivers on them.

I haven't actually ever heard of those lights before. That's pretty cool, if only they could knock 80 bucks off of each one of them, I bet they'd actually sell.

I'd still do a DC Conversion with them though. The AC current that comes from these bikes is so dirty that I bet it'll eat up those drivers in short order. They're similar drivers that are used in household High Power LED lighting. I have a few GU10 LED bulbs that I used the drivers out of, and they worked great on a stock banshee, but still flickered at idle. Trail Tech's LED's did, and so did Baja Design's LED's.

In all the DC conversion article I've read it doesn't mention if you absolutly have to run another regulator and / or a battery. I'd like to do without a batt.

Do you have anything close to those light ? http://www.lazerstar.net/brands/lx-led-light-bars/endeavour-3-watt-double-row-led-light-bar/endeavour-450-utility-led-flood-light-10-led?cPath=1054_1059_1089

I mean, the 900 lumens of the small ones is okay, but I'd like the bigger look. (Plus a bigger reflector is almost always better)

In all the DC conversion article I've read it doesn't mention if you absolutly have to run another regulator and / or a battery. I'd like to do without a batt.

Do you have anything close to those light ? http://www.lazerstar.net/brands/lx-led-light-bars/endeavour-3-watt-double-row-led-light-bar/endeavour-450-utility-led-flood-light-10-led?cPath=1054_1059_1089

I mean, the 900 lumens of the small ones is okay, but I'd like the bigger look. (Plus a bigger reflector is almost always better)

No, hardly anyone wants lights like that. Mine are 950 measured lumens.

You don't HAVE to run a battery, but pretty much any LED light, unless it's a cheap one, will flicker at lower RPM's, because their fire speed is much quicker than a halogen.

It's almost no more work, and maybe 15 bucks more for a battery. Just save yourself the headache, and run a battery...

Also, their numbers are impressive, but until I see some 3rd party proof that they produce what they say they do, personally, I wouldn't spend the extra on them. I recommend Rigid lights to anyone who's looking for something different than I sell. Trail Tech's LED products are pretty good as well. They're using the same Cree LED's that everyone does, yet claiming 10-15% higher light output. Just my observation.