MattSCSS LED lights

#1JUANstunna

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right.

I am working on your helmet mount right now. I think it'll work good.

As far as the mounts go, I'll have pictures of them once I get them.

fucking sweet. I have 30 watts to play with on the R stator from what ive read. My current plan is 2 lights on the bars and 1 on the helmet. If i want more then im going to put all 3 on the bars then get 2 for the helmet and run them off a battery pack. I want to burn peoples eyes out in the dunes. :rotflmao:

fucking sweet. I have 30 watts to play with on the R stator from what ive read. My current plan is 2 lights on the bars and 1 on the helmet. If i want more then im going to put all 3 on the bars then get 2 for the helmet and run them off a battery pack. I want to burn peoples eyes out in the dunes. :rotflmao:

Philbert, that's effing ridiculous. One on the helmet, two on the bars I think would be sweet as hell. Question though, where would you mount the light on your helmet? On the side or right on the top? The first mount I make will kinda be a one-off thing, so I'll send it to you and see how you like it.

Also, through my research, I've found several different kind of mounts, some screw into the helmet, and some use adhesives... Which would you people prefer? I feel as though the mounts could be smaller in total size with screw in ones, but I don't know how comfortable people would be with drilling holes in their helmet.

Philbert, that's effing ridiculous. One on the helmet, two on the bars I think would be sweet as hell. Question though, where would you mount the light on your helmet? On the side or right on the top? The first mount I make will kinda be a one-off thing, so I'll send it to you and see how you like it.

Also, through my research, I've found several different kind of mounts, some screw into the helmet, and some use adhesives... Which would you people prefer? I feel as though the mounts could be smaller in total size with screw in ones, but I don't know how comfortable people would be with drilling holes in their helmet.

That sir is the 50million dollar question. If i were doing just 1 light i think it would have to go on top or it would feel awkward having it hang off one side. I am worried it would feel unballanced. Now if i were going to use 2, i would put 1 on each side right next to my jaw. I plan on mounting them on my old helmet and only using it at night, so if drilling it doesnt compromise the safety of the helmet im ok with it. However how can we be sure of that. Im thinking Stick on with some 3M is probably going to be the preferred route. How does trail tech mount their helmet lights? Im thinking probably sticky stuff.

The other million dollar question is which beam style to go with . Im thinking 2 driving beams on the bars and 1 spot on the helmet, maybe a driving up there 2, but im not sure.

Side note: If i can find a small lipo or equivalent battery pack that weighs about the same as the light then i would stick the battery on one side of the helmet and a single light on the other. would be cool as then i would not need a tether to the battery pack. That may be an option as well

Trail Tech has two different ones. They have both adhesive, and screw on. I'll see if I can get my hands on some of the strongest double sided adhesive 3m makes, and see just how strong it actually is.

If I go with the adhesive, I would just mount yours on top of your helmet, you can always change it down the road if you want another light. As far as lens style, I'd stick with Euro on all of them, in the dunes, you never really need to throw light further than 300 feet, before the next transition. I can get you a coiled cord in any length you want, so you can either mount the battery to a chest protector, or if you ride with a backpack, drop it in there.

matt, for a helmet mount, how about using a bolt that would be the same size as the bolts that hold the visor to the helmet?

That's not a bad idea, Nick, I'll look into that. My only concern is that different brands use different bolts, but I'll definitely look into it.

I'm leaning towards the 3M adhesive as of now. I've been doing some research, and some of these double sided tapes have a 150lb static load per sq inch... that's fucking nuts.

Just got my new LED lights from Matt today. These are some nice looking lights. Hopefully in the next few days I can get them hooked to a power source and test them out.

Matt even made them idiot proof and put a + on the positive side of the terminal

photobucket-2764-1326824506481.jpg

2012-01-17_13-20-26_287.jpg

I'll take some pictures when I hook them up to see how bright these little things are. I don't have a DC conversion on my Banshee yet so the pics will be off of a static power source.

Get them running yet?

photobucket-3119-1329521768200.jpg

photobucket-5914-1329521805075.jpg

photobucket-902-1329521787710.jpg

I got my lights mounted today and as soon as it gets dark I'm going to try and take a few more pics. If all goes well tomorrow I'll do the DC conversion. As for now I'm just hooking them up to a battery to aim them and see how bright they are. Once the conversion is done I'll see if I can get it fired up since it's been sitting since September.

The pictures are kinda shitty but my phone is all I have to use.

The pics are from my Droid. I really like the color they project. It's a very clear white color.

photobucket-4605-1329532689104.jpg

No flash, and exposure was longer. No lights just ambient light.

photobucket-5734-1329532666557.jpg

No flash, and exposure was longer. Two LED's

The ATM across the street is about 80 ft. from the front of my Banshee.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else?

matt told me last night that his helmet mounts are just about ready. I will be putting 1 of his lights on my helmet and 2 or 3 on my bars as soon as they are ready to ship. Ill get some pics up as soon as they are mounted.