Tusk/G-Force Axle install

esseclipse

put the tires on and it seems to spin a little better... tight, but spins... maybe just needed some rotations.... love the axle though, can't beat the price and warranty... seems to be excellent quality

also, the spacer in the carrier is suppose to be loose.... the Clymer's manual talks about how your can manipulate the spacer so that you can drive the opposing side bearing out of the carrier.... another thought, if the bearings aren't seated properly the oil seal will extend out of the carrier and will not be flush with the lip

or maybe it has to do with it being 19 freaking degrees in CT right now and the grease has the consistency of peanut butter!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I just got one of these axles and am having trouble seating the C rings in the groove.  Any tips on getting the C rings seated in the grooves?  Also, I screwed up the inner bearing spacer that goes between the bearings.  I couldn't get it to slide over the new axle, so I left it out.  I also screwed up the bearings installing them.  I plan to run the damaged bearings for a short time while I get a new set and a new inner spacer.  The bearings seal got cut when installing it.  They turn smoothly, but I know they will get dirt in them and wear out quickly.  Will running them temporarily without the inner spacer damage anything?  What function does the inner spacer serve?  The main thing I need to know is how to get the C clips down in the grooves.  Thanks for any help or info.

I just got one of these axles and am having trouble seating the C rings in the groove.  Any tips on getting the C rings seated in the grooves?  Also, I screwed up the inner bearing spacer that goes between the bearings.  I couldn't get it to slide over the new axle, so I left it out.  I also screwed up the bearings installing them.  I plan to run the damaged bearings for a short time while I get a new set and a new inner spacer.  The bearings seal got cut when installing it.  They turn smoothly, but I know they will get dirt in them and wear out quickly.  Will running them temporarily without the inner spacer damage anything?  What function does the inner spacer serve?  The main thing I need to know is how to get the C clips down in the grooves.  Thanks for any help or info.

The purpose of the spacer is to keep the bearings from collapsing in on eachother... Without the spacer there is nothing to stop you from overtightening it... When the axle nut is torqued properly the spacer hits the inner races of both bearings stopping them from collapsing... Best thing to do is get rid of the stock carrier and buy a billet one with TAPERED roller bearings... They are way stronger, and will out last the stock type bearings by far. The only difference in set up, is you have to set the preload on the bearings, like a wheel bearing on a truck or old RWD car.

You can make an inner tune out if a piece of pipe. I've made a couple in different lengths. Seems to be some discrepancy in the lengths when goin to different axles. Think I made them out of schedule 40 iron pipe. Prob could buy a length from lowes or smthn and cut it to fit.

• Like 1

Got the C clips down with a srewdriver and small hammer.  Now the problem is I have it installed just like the directions say and the same as the pictures earlier in this thread, but is has about a 1/4 inch loose gap and the axle slides back and forth.  Any suggestions?  Wonder if RockyMountain will take it back.  Unless something changes my mind, I am pretty unhappy with it right now.

• 3 weeks later...