TM Designworks Chain Guide/Roller

muggzy

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of converting my stock swingarm to a stocklength Lonestar swingarm with double-row round house style bearing carrier. I got this TM Designworks chain guide rt with a single roller and put it on the swinger. My concern is the height of the roller relative to the sprocket (41T). The location means the chain is going to have to go through a serious path disruption (sort of like a chain tensioner). Is this right ? I know TMD makes top notch stuff but how long should i expect this roller to hold up if this is correct?

2012-01-09_16-53-23_804.jpg

2012-01-08_15-05-18_585.jpg

That definately doesn't look right. I have a TM design on mine and there is no interuption of the chain path off the sprocket (41T). It looks like the wrong chain guide. Only difference is mine is only a slider, not the roller design. I also have 2 counter sunk screws along the bottom, not just one. Mine is lower and comes down on the front at closer to a 90 degree angle to the ground. What's your email and I can send you a picture.

SP

That definitely doesn't look right. I have a TM design on mine and there is no interuption of the chain path off the sprocket (41T). It looks like the wrong chain guide. Only difference is mine is only a slider, not the roller design. I also have 2 counter sunk screws along the bottom, not just one. Mine is lower and comes down on the front at closer to a 90 degree angle to the ground. What's your email and I can send you a picture.

SP

PM Sent. Yeah I spoke to someone at TMD and he assured me this was OK for the roller type guide. He hadn't seen a picture though and I'm not convinced. I like their stuff, it's top notch but looking at the turn the chain's gonna have to take passing through the roller is not sitting right with me. The mount on the swingarm is definitely not bent, but it looks like there's quite a lot of room to make that roller lower.

Has anyone else tried these rollers before?

Edited by muggzy

PM Sent. Yeah I spoke to someone at TMD and he assured me this was OK for the roller type guide. He hadn't seen a picture though and I'm not convinced. I like their stuff, it's top notch but looking at the turn the chain's gonna have to take passing through the roller is not sitting right with me. The mount on the swingarm is definitely not bent, but it looks like there's quite a lot of room to make that roller lower.

Has anyone else tried these rollers before?

Thanks for that pic Spurdy. Yeah that's how I'd expect the slider version to look/work and I can understand some deflection using a roller - after all, they are round and not flat, but this just looks too extreme. Anyone have experience with this chain guide?

Here's the web page. It does say for banshee and aftermarket swingers with standard banshee spacing...

http://www.tmdesignworks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67_184&products_id=333

I don't think the problem is with the guide, it is with the swingarm. I had a JP Racing swingarm, they got bought out by Lonestar about 18 years ago, and had the same problem with the guide mount on it. It was mounted to high and I had to modify the mount to make it work.

Swing arm's good. I just put the old chain guide on this new swinger and it lines up perfectly. Exactly the way it did on the old swing arm.

I had the same questions when i oredered mine like that from,them but have rode on it for about 3 months and had no problems.The reason it is so short is because the chain guide roller design is to be used for swingarms that are running a skid plate,the other design with two rollers is designed to be used without a skid plate. Here is the link to explain..... http://www.tmdesignworks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67_184&products_id=333

I got one. I don't see the problem in the pic.. ur not thinking of putting the chain between the mount and roller are you?

So you're saying the chain path is under the roller not overthe roller? That isn't the chain path on mine but I have an older style that is a slider.

SP