TM Designworks Chain Guide/Roller

muggzy

.. but that looks pretty drastic to me. Do you have any other type of slider available to try on it just to check to see if it's the swing arm or the slider?

Yeah, I thought that was too much deflection as well. And as I said above, I tried the stock guide off my original swinger and it fit just perfect. Definitely not the swing arm.

Its not a tensioner, its a guide. Call TM and ask them.

Did that too. Even used the word "tensioner" to descrie the deflection to the guy and he said "yeah that's how it should fit" then he continued on about how it has to be that way to accommodate all the different skid plate possibilities, blah blah blah. Dude just never stopped talking. I'm pretty good about hearing someone out but that got ridiculous. from the sound of him, they get a lot of calls on this part. He did say that if the roller goes, he'd give me two to replace it.

[...over the roller...]

Your right.. just looked at mine. Heres a couple pics.

Been running it for four seasons. Got bike new in July of 07(its an 06) and got prm skid plate and chain roller a month later. I know ill get crap, but its the original chain. Also got tm designworks case saver.

Got the TMD case saver and front swing arm guide too. Great stuff with no problems. That's the only reason I haven't sent the thing back (yet). Your post is much appreciated. BIG thanks! Could you try to get a more straight on shot of the guide from the side. If your tire is in the way, maybe one from the rear looking up the chain? I'd really appreciate it. I'm just not comfortable with how my chain will wear in the environment I ride in - lots of rocks and the mud's like grinding paste :( That's why I'm spending so much on this protective gear and the swing arm upgrade (it's stock length). I def don't wanna get stuck miles into the woods.

Ya man, ill get a straight on shot tomorrow of it.

It steps up a bit... Kinda forces the chain to wrap around the rear sprocket more.

I ride mud, dirt, sand, and snow. Haven't had a prob with it. And I'm not ultra meticulous about cleaning. Usually just spray with decreaser and rinse.

Big Thanks! I really appreciate it. This is the deflection I see in mine, actually a little more severe b/c the thickness of the chain means the travel through the guide is gonna be higher than I showed. If yours looks the same as mine, I'll try running the chain through it. Don't want to get it greasy if I'm gonna send it back :confused:

CaliperMtgSpacewChainline.jpg

So, did those pics help at all, or do I need to pull off the wheel?

Hey Chad Thanks!, Yeah they're a big help. The deflection in my chain is definitely more extreme. Had to work today so I didn't get to thank you right away. Thanks again bro. Now I gotta contact TMD and get them to exchange it for a simple slider. Guess that'll have to wait for monday. :headbang:

Edited by muggzy

ok to me the problem looks like the arm, the red slider is closer to the sprocket than the white one. also this can be fixed by sloting the rear hole in the arm or the slider.

just my .02

chris

Bingo! The red slider looks closer to the sprocket than Chad's white one so the chain's got to bend harder to get around to the sprocket. I've been thinking about drilling a new pair of holes in the slider; one straight behind the front one and the second behind and a little higher than the back one to bring the roller forward and down a bit. The only reason for the hesitation is that it bugs me. A $45 slider ought to fit.

The alternative is to return the roller for a slider which (i believe) isn't as high at the point where the chain goes over the roller. As I said in a previous post, the stock slider off my original swinger lines up perfectly.

Oh well if I drill, I'll post before and after pics. Will let you know tomorrow...

Bingo! The red slider looks closer to the sprocket than Chad's white one so the chain's got to bend harder to get around to the sprocket. I've been thinking about drilling a new pair of holes in the slider; one straight behind the front one and the second behind and a little higher than the back one to bring the roller forward and down a bit. The only reason for the hesitation is that it bugs me. A $45 slider ought to fit.

The alternative is to return the roller for a slider which (i believe) isn't as high at the point where the chain goes over the roller. As I said in a previous post, the stock slider off my original swinger lines up perfectly.

Oh well if I drill, I'll post before and after pics. Will let you know tomorrow...

Sweet glad i could help. :cheers:

Chris

WheelmanChassis