Maintenance Work

MM379

Hey guys. I am trying to get some maintenance work done to get in some riding while this winter is so nice. When i bouthe it a +2 swing arm came with as well as some other parts. Turns out the +2 swing arm measures out to be a +4, so it looks like i'll be switching to the +4. The +4 needs bearings in the front so i got some from pivot works. Since i am going longer i figured it would be a good time to swap out the sprockets as they are worn and replace the chain. This brings me to my question. What should a person look for? I have seen o-ring, x-ring, and even a z-ring or non o-ring style chains. What is best? I went with the stock tooth set up on the front and rear sprockets and the only things done to it that i know of are different carbs, fmf exh, and the cool head. I found these two on dennis kirk and didn't know if they would be worth using.

520 FB

https://www.denniskirk.com/moose/520-fb-o-ring-chain.p110206.prd/110206120.sku

R4 520

https://www.denniskirk.com/renthal/r4-atv-z-ring-chain.p110258.prd/110258120.sku

Call FAST Racing. Jeff sells chain by the foot and can get you just what you need. 785-364-5325. Tell him the CEO of BansheeHQ told you to call.

Also, for future reference, Rocky Mountain ATV is a much better place to buy odds and ends bullshit than Dennis Kirk. Give them a try also.. www.rockymountainatv.com

The "X" "O" "Z" ring chain referres to the rubber ring in each link. If you take the ring out and cut it and look at the end of the cut it will have that shape "O" "X" "Z".

I personally like X ring , but have heard good things about the Z ring chains too... they do a better job and keeping dirt and crap out of the chain as well as keeping lube in.

The "X" "O" "Z" ring chain referres to the rubber ring in each link. If you take the ring out and cut it and look at the end of the cut it will have that shape "O" "X" "Z".

I personally like X ring , but have heard good things about the Z ring chains too... they do a better job and keeping dirt and crap out of the chain as well as keeping lube in.

Learn something new everyday- was actually wondering about this myself :headbang:

Joe

I would go non o- ring with high strength rating because the dyno says so.

You cant assume what type of riding hes doing!

For a good all around chain in snow, sand, dirt etc.....you need a ringed chain, for riding where a chain will be replaced regularly or where their are no contaminants, a non ringed chain is fine.

Thanks for all the comments and help. I knew about o and x ring chains before but never heard of a z ring. Tha riding i plan to do the most is dirt trails along with sand and a little riding in the snow if we ever get any up here. I wasn't really sure what was the best general chain to go with. Didn't know if there was a brand to stay away from or if one o-ring is the same as the next o-ring.

Now I have a problem...i think. Installed the +4 swing arm last night and now the rear fenders are about 4" above the tires. Now either i gained alot of weight in a short amount of time, or there is a promlem here. I think the second option. I don't know who made the arm because it was included in the sale of the atv, but it does seem to use the stock rear shock set-up. The rear shock nut is tightened down about half way on the threads against the spring. Does it need a heavier spring?

Now I have a problem...i think. Installed the +4 swing arm last night and now the rear fenders are about 4" above the tires. Now either i gained alot of weight in a short amount of time, or there is a promlem here. I think the second option. I don't know who made the arm because it was included in the sale of the atv, but it does seem to use the stock rear shock set-up. The rear shock nut is tightened down about half way on the threads against the spring. Does it need a heavier spring?

The shock link mounting point may be different on the long one. This is probably what's dropping your quad. You will probably have to get an adjustable one from somewhere. I think lonestar makes one. You might check on here for supporting vendors that have them.

Your tires now have more leverage on the shock. You may need to adjust the preload, go to a different spring or even a different shock.