do i have to run race fuel?

akelly000

What determing factors come into play when deciding on the octane of fuel I need to run? It seems to be soley based on compression. True??

Yes compression is the reason you do not want the charge to detonate to early so you use higher octane gas because it burns slower.. I believe 150 is pretty much the limit on pump gas but I could be wrong. Mine has 135 and I run 21cc domes. Hope this helps..

Higher octane fuel, while it does burn slower, is actually needed to run higher compression motor because it is more stable. It helps stop detonation because it is actually harder to ignite with compression and heat......but it does burn at a slower rate.

I believe that the pump fuel is usually good (depending on your setup) for up to about 155-160 psi......however there have been cases where people on here have been able to get away with pump fuel on JUST a little bit more compession...

All of you need to read this. The only thing slow burning in this thread is your brains.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Octane_rating

im running 24cc domes and im at 160psi. i rode it a trip and dont see any deto with 93 pump gas. but some guys would say im still over the limit.

exactly. there is so much more than cranking psi that determines what to run.

mine is around 150 on 91 and i beat it like it owes me money.

Yes compression is the reason you do not want the charge to detonate to early so you use higher octane gas because it burns slower.. I believe 150 is pretty much the limit on pump gas but I could be wrong. Mine has 135 and I run 21cc domes. Hope this helps..

i might be mistaken but isnt it bad when gas "Detonates" or what some idiots call pre det? isnt gas suposed to ignite not detonate?

Edited by coryv4