paint or powder for trail bike

remi_357

Looking to add some color to my banshee. It is used mostly for trails. What's the better of the two? Paint or powder? I'm already set up to paint and would have to buy the gun and oven to powder coat and would still be limited to small parts only. You think painted frame swingarm and a-arms would hold up?

Opinions?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking to add some color to my banshee. It is used mostly for trails. What's the better of the two? Paint or powder? I'm already set up to paint and would have to buy the gun and oven to powder coat and would still be limited to small parts only. You think painted frame swingarm and a-arms would hold up?

Opinions?

i painted mine a few months back, 5 rides since then and the frame/swingarm/a-arms were all chipping. i do nothing but trails and coal hills. if you want it to last just powdercoat

• 2 months later...

Powdercoat, no question. I've done two bikes and there are near infinite choices of colors. I chose black and white, boring.

If you need to touch it up, which you'll have to do a lot less than regular paint, use regular paint to touch it up. :shrugani:

Regular paint: Cheap but lots of prep to do it right and it isn't nearly as durable.

Powder: More money, less prep and more durable.

Bottom line: If you have the $, Powdercoat it!

Pc when you can.

I'm in the process of painting my a arms, since stock a arms can't be powder coated. Prep is everything. Quite tedious and time consuming. But I hope it will pay off in the end.

I sand blasted my arms. Primered with etch prime. Picked up a half quart of jet black. And my clear coat is going I be "chip guard". Pictures will be posted soon. Anything else on the bike that is able to be powder coated will be.

I don't know much about anodizing (spelling?). But that could be a option?

Bike in my sig is painted, and i will never do it again. I have a PC set up but my oven wasnt big enough, so I spent almost 300 bucks on the proper etching primer, base and clear, pearl and more clear etc. I wanted to do it myself and have painted quite a bit so what the hell. It just doesnt hold up near as well as a properly cured powder coat job. For what i spent i could have damn near had somebody pc my frame but oh well live and learn. Bike will be coming apart eventually and heading to PC. Yes powder will chip, yes it will scratch but not nearly as easily as paint. Now if not cured properly, pc will flake off, but thats another story. Go to a reputable PC shop and just get it done. You can not buy a decent setup for the cost of paying somebody to do a frame. NOw if you have a lot of work to do, then go for it im all for DIY. Just not into spending more just to say i did it myself, not anymore anyway. LOL

• 4 months later...

When you powder coat your frame spots I mea the engine is grounded to th the engine is grounded to the chassis somewher somewhere right I just po I just powder coated my bike and it runs like shit

If its not grounded, it wont run at all.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2