421 Serval setup!

figjam

Hi guys! I recently bought the 421 Serval package from Andy at M&M.. Now I want to start buying the rest of the parts, but seems like there's a problem around every corner. I trail and dune (which is what this motor is meant for as far as I know). I'll give you a list of what I want in this serval:

35mm Pwks with 6" 10deg K&N pods

intakes ???? honestly don't know which intakes to go for

vforce 3 reeds

HD Clutch - I was thinking driveline... don't know if it will be enough

Billet Basket - I was thinking Mattoon Machine

Shift star mod

Drum shift mod

At the moment the pipes I have are dmc 916 and pro circuits (I know it will probably hold this bad boy back, but I don't intend on porting it right now)

I run 22" dirt tires so will try stock gearing first, but I'm considering 15/40 - any recommendations welcome.

Now my problem is the whole shifting dilemma. I honestly don't want a lockup. I've read here that guys run servals successfully without lockups, please share with us how you do it. I recently rode a 7mill serval with a lockup and I don't want a lockup, neither a override. The owner says he can't run it without the lockup. Will it be able to shift under load or shift while keeping the throttle pinned.

I've spoken to a few guys on here, but I know there's a lot of serval owners out there! Please any critique and recommendations are more than welcome. I live in South Africa and don't want to import the wrong parts as it gets really expensive. So I need to buy the right parts the first time!

Thanks guys

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i didnt even know they made a 7mm serval.

pipes will hold you back on the stock port serval, but you have them, just run them for now.

intakes ? dunno, they all do the same thing.

vf3 will be fine.

clutch, im running a slingshot lockup, fast clutch with stock springs. why are you against a lock up ?.

modded trans is a must, see if camatv can cut you one. its not an override, its just cut so you can slam up and down gears, without a miss shift. if you wanna WOT change gears get an override.

mattoon basket will be fine.

pwk 35's will be fine.

youlll need a pingel to feed your carbs.

If you don't want the lock-up, then maybe consider a good clutch with heavy springs and a hydraulic clutch lever.

lms1977 is running a 10mm serval, hopefully he can add to the discussion.

I will be using the FAST clutch with a Magnum billet basket, soft springs and the mattoon lock-up. 33PWK's, Sniper inframes, 6" K&N pods, VFII, dual pingel. Still thinking about the tranny mod...

We bought the first 2x 7mm servals from Jeff at FAST... We both planned on building trail motors, and what an awesome trail motor this is, torque, torque, torque.... For this reason I stayed away from a override, to many bad stories about WCR extremes....

The motor has a complete cut tranny, gears and dogs where machined, modded shift star, the drum is cut to fit a bearing, everything is on bearings.... It will shift under normal load or even higher rpms it will still shift like butter, the moment you put a severe load on the motor like in the sand or climbing a steep hill and pin it, or maybe a drag race, it will not shift, you have to really pull the clutch in (almost take time to do it) and then change the gears... If you just blip the clutch it won't freaken shift for nothing, I am not even talking about quick shift or clutch less shifts.... The only thing that will make this motor shifts quick and easy is a override.... The biggest problem is not to get it in the next gear, its to get it out of the gear its in....

I recently heard HJR has a FULL 1 - 6 override, dunable, not sure how long he has been cutting them, so has no feedback on these yet....

We bought the first 2x 7mm servals from Jeff at FAST... We both planned on building trail motors, and what an awesome trail motor this is, torque, torque, torque.... For this reason I stayed away from a override, to many bad stories about WCR extremes....

The motor has a complete cut tranny, gears and dogs where machined, modded shift star, the drum is cut to fit a bearing, everything is on bearings.... It will shift under normal load or even higher rpms it will still shift like butter, the moment you put a severe load on the motor like in the sand or climbing a steep hill and pin it, or maybe a drag race, it will not shift, you have to really pull the clutch in (almost take time to do it) and then change the gears... If you just blip the clutch it won't freaken shift for nothing, I am not even talking about quick shift or clutch less shifts.... The only thing that will make this motor shifts quick and easy is a override.... The biggest problem is not to get it in the next gear, its to get it out of the gear its in....

I recently heard HJR has a FULL 1 - 6 override, dunable, not sure how long he has been cutting them, so has no feedback on these yet....

So you let 3 out of 60 extreme dunable that didn't work out of the hundreds greg has cut/nodded scare you away? Lmao we should also stop running wiseco pistons since a few has failed in the past... greg does top notch work