Clutch side crank seal

acroadam

I'm gonna be replacing my clutch side crank seal this winter due to bad seal. Anyways, I was reading in my clymers hand manuel the steps to disassembly the the bottom end. Now, Im just replacing my crank seal, I'm not over hauling, just a simple seal replacement, do I need to do all the steps in the book, like, remove transmission, clean the cases in soapy water, all that is good stuff, but I'm not needing to do that. So if anyone has replaced there crank seal in the past, what steps did you do? Thanks. Adam

I'm gonna be replacing my clutch side crank seal this winter due to bad seal. Anyways, I was reading in my clymers hand manuel the steps to disassembly the the bottom end. Now, Im just replacing my crank seal, I'm not over hauling, just a simple seal replacement, do I need to do all the steps in the book, like, remove transmission, clean the cases in soapy water, all that is good stuff, but I'm not needing to do that. So if anyone has replaced there crank seal in the past, what steps did you do? Thanks. Adam

no just remove the fly wheel stator plate and everything on the clutch side. remove cylinders and pistons and split the case replace both clutch and stator side seal but 1211 on it and seal it back up

no just remove the fly wheel stator plate and everything on the clutch side. remove cylinders and pistons and split the case replace both clutch and stator side seal but 1211 on it and seal it back up

Ya that's what I thought too. Is there anything you would do since the case is split, besides replacing my seals? Thanks. Adam

Ya that's what I thought too. Is there anything you would do since the case is split, besides replacing my seals? Thanks. Adam

good time to check all the bearings on the tranny and crank make sure none of your gears are chipped or warn might be a good time to toss in some new shift forks so your not splitting your case again anytime soone

i'd recomend a trans upgrade. clutch upgrade and figure out why the seal went bad in the first place then i'd probably have the crank true'd and welded and check everythign out in the cases.. oh and clean everything and wash out all the old clutch material thats in there ( that grey black nasty you will see all over the place).

its a motor not a facuet in the sink or a piece of siding on your house. do it right or you'll be in there again.

i'd recomend a trans upgrade. clutch upgrade and figure out why the seal went bad in the first place then i'd probably have the crank true'd and welded and check everythign out in the cases.. oh and clean everything and wash out all the old clutch material thats in there ( that grey black nasty you will see all over the place).

its a motor not a facuet in the sink or a piece of siding on your house. do it right or you'll be in there again.

Good idea. Iam limited on money. Im gonna do it right. How would you up grade the transmission? Also, what cleaning solvent is good to use for cleaning inside the cases?

Heres my entire rebuild... Might wanna consider the timing plate mod and shift star mod while u have it apart.... I have vids on the shift star mod and timing plate mod just check my channel. I can only put two links here...

modified shift star, modified shift shaft, maybe an pro-shift arm and spring......depending how much power you eventually plan on making you may want to get your trans cut by a sponsor to allow it to engage better (with higher powered bikes they stock trans will suddenly give you a "false neutral" because the dogs in the trans can't mesh that fast)

They say to remove the tranny and wash the cases in soapy water so you get ALL the oil out of it so the Yamabond 4 will stick to the metal and seal it up properly, so you don't have an air leak and melt pistons. If your crank is not welded, I would ABSOLUTELY do that, make sure ALL the bearings are smooth, make sure the shift forks are not wore or blue. Those are the things to worry about that the cases need to be split for. The other stuff that was mentioned can be dealt with later without splitting the cases.

Heres my entire rebuild... Might wanna consider the timing plate mod and shift star mod while u have it apart.... I have vids on the shift star mod and timing plate mod just check my channel. I can only put two links here...

I've been watching your videos, good stuff man. Very helpful

They say to remove the tranny and wash the cases in soapy water so you get ALL the oil out of it so the Yamabond 4 will stick to the metal and seal it up properly, so you don't have an air leak and melt pistons. If your crank is not welded, I would ABSOLUTELY do that, make sure ALL the bearings are smooth, make sure the shift forks are not wore or blue. Those are the things to worry about that the cases need to be split for. The other stuff that was mentioned can be dealt with later without splitting the cases.

Ya I was gonna send my crank off to get welded too. What solvent can I use to clean off my crankshaft, and transmission?