My Yfz hybrid

I had this yfz rolling chassis that i never did anything with, Since I had some time and no quad,I started this project.I had access to a yz465 and after some dimensions were taken.The process began.

With some machining to the engine case and swingarm.I was able to get perfect alignment for the sprocket and good relation to the swingarm bolt.I Used some aluminum 400 ex mounts up front to help with vibration and fabbed up a bottom mount that utilizes a banshee style engine isolater. I was able to modify the factory 450 head mount,so this engine has 4 solid mounting points.With the slightest tweaking of the factory 465 kickstarter ,it just clears the frame.Sent the frame out for PC black.

I had to use a 89-90 yz250 angled intake for the carb to clear the shock.Amazingly the mounting holes were the same.I opted for a 38 PJ over the factory mikuni roundslide and added an angled pod filter.I wanted to use the 39 pwk but the wall thickness is too thin on the intake bell to machine it down a bit so it fits the yz250 boot.

I tore the engine down to the cases.Replaced the crank,clutch shaft and main shaft bearings.I modded the shift star for smoother shifts and replaced all the seals.A new wiseco 86mm piston was installed along with some new reeds.

I had to machine some material from the head to get the squish right.Even though the cylinder was ported,it looks like the squish was never checked or the head was replaced at one time.The squish before machining was .085,now it checks .055.

I had to swap the head and tail lights for a 6V system.A standard single pole auto parts store lamp socket locked right into the existing hole,so a little work with some solder I managed to convert the lamp sockets to accept 6v 23.5 watt lamps along with 6v 5 watt tail lamp.I utilized a stock banshee lamp/kill switch so it appears to be factory.Tested the whole system with a 6V battery and everything works flawlessly and are bright enough for night riding.

These 465s were not huge on HP but made great torque,not to mention they can take a serious beating for an air cooled engine . The weight savings that I have by ditching the yfz engine,radiator,fan,electronics,airbox,oil tank,hoses and lines,battery will put the weight under 300lbs.

Im picking up the frame wed and will try to get it slammed together and get some pics with the plastics mounted,then i will tear it down the the bare minimum that is required to have the pipe built.I have corresponded with Gary at Sniper and as soon as its crated up,im sending it his way. Its not a banshee but its a 2 smoker yami

2wddkb5.jpg

dnop6t.jpg

262p8iq.jpg

2nldaf9.jpg

2ntzit.jpg

23iw2hi.jpg

2d6tls.jpg

6nrrcn.jpg

1z2g68p.jpg

2mxok0i.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

please tell me you didnt pull that from a good bike :( ?

Look at that engine in the before pics.The rest of the bike looked 10 times worse.It was a farm beater and started life as an IT465. I added the YZ cylinder and it has the IT wide ratio transmission.If it was a complete YZ to begin with,I would have probably just restored it,but the "it" was like the Malibu.They could run like Chevelles but they were not worth diddly squat $

I got a little further along with the project,I still need to route the electrical,install the chain,modify the cylinder head stay and get an angled pod filter instead of the straight one.

Minus the odds/ends and exhaust pipe,it is nearly complete. Im looking to get a set of 20" kt355 or Ohtsu for the rear.This thing is amazingly lightweight,I cannot wait to get it on the trails.

33w2l9e.jpg

244pkdl.jpg

2rnwxna.jpg

oh2wif.jpg

aak9x2.jpg

2ufspwm.jpg

fdc6bq.jpg

33542l5.jpg

2z6ru3t.jpg

4r6h4p.jpg

i really dig this!!

screw putting it in a stupid blaster this is 100 times a better idear.. better suspension better ergos it stops it wont be stupid to see a 6ft dude ride it around. etc..

also screw restoring an old ass clunker of a MX bike yea they are cool maybe the really cool ones that actually did something important but naw some old ass retarded trails it hell naw this was a great thing to revitalize it!

i dug this build untill i saw the rear resivour.. now come on redo that bs man!! just above the ressy mount it there and make a small braket for it or wait till after the pipe is done and put it there above the ressy.

the best thing to happen to a yfz is a blown motor and the owner selling the roller for cheap. these will accept all kinds of motors. yz250's, these air cooled banshee's etc.

i really dig this!!

screw putting it in a stupid blaster this is 100 times a better idear.. better suspension better ergos it stops it wont be stupid to see a 6ft dude ride it around. etc..

also screw restoring an old ass clunker of a MX bike yea they are cool maybe the really cool ones that actually did something important but naw some old ass retarded trails it hell naw this was a great thing to revitalize it!

i dug this build untill i saw the rear resivour.. now come on redo that bs man!! just above the ressy mount it there and make a small braket for it or wait till after the pipe is done and put it there above the ressy.

the best thing to happen to a yfz is a blown motor and the owner selling the roller for cheap. these will accept all kinds of motors. yz250's, these air cooled banshee's etc.

I have to wait until the pipe is built.If you look at the pic from the rear.There is not much room for the inframe pipe to snake through on the right side of the shock.I can't use the stock rezzy location from the factory yet .So i used what I had,The battery hold down bracket lined up with the frame holes and i was able to mount it up there without any hacking. If you notice,that is a banshee rezzy. There is plenty of room up front for the pipe,but not much where it goes through the frame.Until the pipe is routed,that is safest place for it.

Cam.I just wanted to get the BS stuff done before the winter comes.I don't mind spending the next 5 months dressing it up if all the hard work is already done.That kind of stuff needs time.

Edited by bigborebanshee

I think that mount is sweet lol. You are doing really nice work on that project it looks good man cant wait to hear how it rides. :headbang: