Need ADVICE please ... breaking in my new Top End

Hi guys ... everyone has been so great helping me get my Banshee in great running order! Now I need some help on how to properly break in my new Top End.

I have: Duncan High Rev Pipes, K&N filter (no lid), milled head .030 over, new reeds, 27.5 Pilot Jet, 330 Main Jets, 110 Octane Fuel, etc....

SO ~ I decided to Bore my Cylinders 10 over, new Pistons & rings and a medium Port to match. I am just finishing putting it back together & want to RIDE!

Now I want to make sure I break it in -- and not blow it up! :)

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!!

Mimi

My break in usually consists of running through the gears around mid RPM for about 45mins to an hour. Good idea to retorque your cylinder and head nuts after you had some heat in the motor.

I always run mine through 3 heat cycles just crankk it bring it to temp than let cool off thats what works for me

i break mine in by starting it let it idle for 5 mins blip the throttle acouple times then kill it repeat again then the 3rd time i take it around my field quarter throttle 3rd gear then the final time i shift through all the gears 3/4 throttle then its ready to go i always let the cyls get cold to the touch inbetween heat cycles

Your goal is to seat the rings. To do this requires constantly changing environments inside the cylinder. You want pressure on both sides of the ring (accomplished by accelerating and decelerating) When you first fire it up, make sure it is at operating temp before putting any load on it. Now, letting it sit there and idle at the same rpm for 10 minutes is probably the worst habit. Vary the rpm from 2000-3000rpm and blip the throttle during that time. Now that it is up to operating temp, shift into first gear and put a light load onto the engine and make sure to vary the throttle, rpm, and load. I never run high enough to hit the powerband the first run. Let it cool and start up again, same procedure for warm up. Then progressively get more aggressive with the motor as you run it. I jet rich and never run wide open until you check jetting. The best way I can explain how to ride it is "light mx riding". When you first enter a track and you take a survey lap just to get a feel for the layout and you blip the throttle, shift gears, vary rpm, and engine brake down slopes. This will be your best bet. You can monitor your progress with a compression gauge. I usually run one tank of gas through it riding like that before I start the plug chop.

I did about 3 heat cycles... then ran her for a few hours on the trails. Runs GREAT!!!

She starts on the first or second kick ... but I am getting a littl more white smoke then I expected to see. Is this normal??

Also --- I rented a compression tester --- and tested it after the heat cycles but before riding it --- and it only shows 30 psi ..... How is this possible?? Is it a bad tester??

HELP!!!!

If you want a hard running bike you need to run it hard from the start. running it at mid rpm like was mentioned would be the worst thing for it. AKheathen has it figured out.

you need to kick until the needle stops moving on a compression test.