Need some advice please!

The names Steve just so you know.just bought a banshee from a buddy and its not running right ? when you hold your hand over the exhaust pipes the left pipe is smoking and blowing harder than the right ? i had just cleaned the carbs i know that's not it an less i don't have them adjusted right. but i have the air/fuel at about 2 turns out i have the slides synced. what else could it be? i am thinking either something with spark like its not firing all the time. could it be compression? what can it be at? it seems to run good when you rev it but when it idles it just doesn't sound quite right. NEED SOME ADVICE THANKS GUYS~!!!!

At this point it could be a million things. We need more info.

Have you pulled the plugs and checked to make sure you have spark on both sides?

Have you replaced the plugs? Maybe one is fouled.

Are the plugs wet and dark?

Does the bike idle and run ok?

Are you for sure getting gas to both carbs? Is the gas getting to the bowls?

Thanks guys ill check all that right away i have checked the the bowls and they are getting gas , the plugs are brand new i bought a whole box,ill check and see if there both getting spark and get back to you thanks.

Those plugs are gonna tell you everything you wanna know if your running it. Start with all those things Tyler said, then if your still drawing a blank do a compression check on both sides, if your good id do a leak-down. Don't wanna burn it up...

Thanks guys ill check all that right away i have checked the the bowls and they are getting gas , the plugs are brand new i bought a whole box,ill check and see if there both getting spark and get back to you thanks.

i check the spark and yes it is getting spark to both plugs . and the plugs are wet and dark brand ne plugs !

i check the spark and yes it is getting spark to both plugs . and the plugs are wet and dark brand ne plugs !

ok i changed my mind its not a spark issue when i hold the chock half way open the left side runns fine but when i take the chock off it soon losses the left cylinder what can this be please help its the side that has the chock on the carb please help thanks!!!!!!!!!????????

ok i changed my mind its not a spark issue when i hold the chock half way open the left side runns fine but when i take the chock off it soon losses the left cylinder what can this be please help its the side that has the chock on the carb please help thanks!!!!!!!!!????????

sounds like your runnin real lean..... you need to give us a list of mods that your bike has on it and we can tell you a rough idea around where your jetting should be before you melt a hole in your pistons....

Start by cleaning carbs real good. Presuming they are stock, do them one at a time as they are different. Float bowl with "BB" on front goes on left (choke) carb. Angled"cutaway" of slide faces air cleaner. :cheers:

I cleaned the carbs already i can check the bowls iam pretty sure the right bowl is on the right carb as i did them one at a time but ill check. it has twist throttle tores removed dg exhaust and stock carbs and reeds iam not sure what size jets are in it but i can check . if it was the jets then the right side would run leans and die out after a lil bit like the left you would think. could it be my reeds possibly? Also a lil peice of information when i put the carbs back on the bike i accidentally put the slides in the wrong carbs i know dumb hey, anyways the right cylinder was the one running weird if that helps and i did switch the carb slides back to normal and synced them as best i could as i did it by hand! any help ill check the carb bowls and get back to you

Good man, let me know what u find. For me it was that the gas that was in the engine had caused the float to stick. The bike wouldnt idle and the cylinder wouldnt even fire, but when i reved it up it ran good, but then shut right back off. another thing to check is the reeds, if its cracked then that can cause to much air and also one last thing. Make sure there is no air leaks starting from the carb to the engine. I also not only had a stuck float, but also a tiny crack that u could almost not even see on the underside of the intake boot. So from what i know that if u do have a air leak it can cause the carb from even working and not suck the gas and fuel mix into the cylinder. once i had that problem fixed it ran like a champ. Hope this helps. And do u have the stock spark plugs right? aftermarket ones, like hot or cold ones can cause it to not work right.

Good man, let me know what u find. For me it was that the gas that was in the engine had caused the float to stick. The bike wouldn't idle and the cylinder wouldn't even fire, but when i revved it up it ran good, but then shut right back off. another thing to check is the reeds, if its cracked then that can cause to much air and also one last thing. Make sure there is no air leaks starting from the carb to the engine. I also not only had a stuck float, but also a tiny crack that u could almost not even see on the underside of the intake boot. So from what i know that if u do have a air leak it can cause the carb from even working and not suck the gas and fuel mix into the cylinder. once i had that problem fixed it ran like a champ. Hope this helps. And do u have the stock spark plugs right? aftermarket ones, like hot or cold ones can cause it to not work right.

HEY THANKS ALOT MAN i just bought good used boots off eBay but i will check them over and do starting fluid spray check. and yes the plugs are the stock ones i have a manual and everything and i have a box of band new plugs so i know its not that. however iam going to take the bowls off and check the floats and make sure there at the right height. i am going to check the reeds to and make sure that there not cracked. i just got of of work its 730 am in Wisconsin right know and i have to work again tonight iam a third shifter so i wont be able to get to it tomorrow but i will check those things and get back to you!!!!! thanks again and if anyone one else has any suggestions let me know thanks!!! by the way i dont quiet understand e what you mean by the gas in the engine caused your float to stick if you could explain that would be helpful

Edited by ProSteveo

when gas ages it will turn into a type of gummy kind of varnish which can keep the floats from moving nice and easy. its never good to store anything for a long time without draining the fuel out of it.

[ I know this but thanks for the info its all new gas and every things been cleaned. i just got home ill check every thing today and get back to you all

• 2 weeks later...