backfiring - please read

hi, i just bought my little brother a banshee, it runs fine at idle, but will backfire every once in a while, and has no top end power, it will rev up, but not the way it should, i belive it is electrical because i switched plug wires and now it seems to be doing it in the other cylinder, i pulled the stator cover and the whole timing plate was loose, i tightened it up and set the gap on the pickup to .020, the pickup does look like it was hit by the flywheel a few times, but it does still run, the woodruff key is good, i am kind of thinking it is the pickup or the coil, can you pros tell me what you think and how to check the electical parts,, thanks in advance

have you done a compression check? i would start there. every bike i have ever seen that didn't want to rev and backfired was due to a wounded cylinder or way way to rich on the jetting.

yes it has 128 in each cylinder, it was doing it on the right side, i switched the plug wires and now it is doing it on the left side

yes it has 128 in each cylinder, it was doing it on the right side, i switched the plug wires and now it is doing it on the left side

un screw the plug boot from the wire and cut 1/4 inch off and reinstall the boot. they get corroded and start misfiring.

un screw the plug boot from the wire and cut 1/4 inch off and reinstall the boot. they get corroded and start misfiring.

thanks, i tried doing that but it is still the same, any other suggestions, my brother is driving me nuts and so is the banshee

i am very greatfull for the help

thanks, i tried doing that but it is still the same, any other suggestions, my brother is driving me nuts and so is the banshee

i am very greatfull for the help

what are the details about the bike? any power adders or anything on it?

my 2001 would barely want to run on the right cylinder when you started into the throttle.....but at the 1/2 way point it would come to life and almost try and toss you off the bike. wound up being the guy never increased the size of the pilot jet for the fmf pipes he put on.....he increased the mains....but not the pilots.

what are the details about the bike? any power adders or anything on it?

my 2001 would barely want to run on the right cylinder when you started into the throttle.....but at the 1/2 way point it would come to life and almost try and toss you off the bike. wound up being the guy never increased the size of the pilot jet for the fmf pipes he put on.....he increased the mains....but not the pilots.

it is a electrical, not carbs, if i switch the plug wires from one size to the other it will do it in each cylinder

it is a electrical, not carbs, if i switch the plug wires from one size to the other it will do it in each cylinder

crap that's right....i forgot you mentioned that one haha....sorry

you said your trigger probe got hit a few times by the flywheel right? i wonder if that has to do with it

crap that's right....i forgot you mentioned that one haha....sorry

you said your trigger probe got hit a few times by the flywheel right? i wonder if that has to do with it

i am starting to think that, do you know if and how there is any way to test it

hey man i had this same problem at one point. i replaced my coil under the tank, and problem solved. see if you can borrow one off a running bike and try that.

its gotta be between the coil and spark plug if it switches sides like that. the coil is where it splits so if its segregated to one cylinder (plug/wire) thats gotta be it.

Edited by thrill-billy85

don't know if you checked yet but if the PARK BRAKE sticks it will not allow it to rev up don't know if it backfires but friend had problem with his and thats all it was. I am sure you can unplug the connection also if thats it so it don't happen again.