Piston Stop

I was wondering what you guys think about using piston stops for rebuilds ? I really like useing it , but dont know if it is possible to punch a hole or bend a piston crown . If I am doing a tear down and going back with new pistons it doesnt matter . But on the reassemble I get a lil worried and try not to crank down on it to much . So is it safe to use for all torque numbers involved in a complete rebuild ,wich I think the highest one is 58 ft./lbs. for the crank or sprocket ? Also if I am cranking down on the sprocket will the gearing increase the pressure actually being put on the piston ?

herse a pic and description if you dont know what I am talking about .

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=140&navTitle=Tools%2FShop&webCatId=22&prodFamilyId=28650

I'm assuming your talking about putting something in the cylinder for the piston to put against. I wouldn't recommend going that. They make tools for holding flywheels and clutch baskets.

I do have a flywheel/clutch holder . Its just some times its a pain to use it if the motor is on the bench .

:jesterlaugh: You already have the "correct" tool to do the job, why chance it? A caveman like me just uses a penny or rag between the gears to do same thing. :jesterlaugh: Loosen sprocket nut before you even take chain off.

X2 on this one

I was wondering what you guys think about using piston stops for rebuilds ? I really like useing it , but dont know if it is possible to punch a hole or bend a piston crown . If I am doing a tear down and going back with new pistons it doesnt matter . But on the reassemble I get a lil worried and try not to crank down on it to much . So is it safe to use for all torque numbers involved in a complete rebuild ,wich I think the highest one is 58 ft./lbs. for the crank or sprocket ? Also if I am cranking down on the sprocket will the gearing increase the pressure actually being put on the piston ?

herse a pic and description if you dont know what I am talking about .

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=140&navTitle=Tools%2FShop&webCatId=22&prodFamilyId=28650

Piston stops are meant to be used to stop the engine in the same position when you turn it clockwise and then counter-clockwise while setting up a degree wheel, That ia the only thing they are for. To keep things from turning you should use a flywheel/ hub holder, or a rag, or the Motion Pro tool that fits between the gears, or if you have to, a penny or some other soft metal. If you are putting metal between the gears, I would not use an impact as it is still possible to break a tooth off.

Edited by bansheesandrider

I agree with big red, I've never used a flywheel holder I just use my impact gun and as long as you use a impact socket you don't have to worry about rounding off any bolts

I have used them for marking TDC on outboard flywheels. You turn the flywheel to 30btc, screw in stop, rotate f/w clockwise then mark f/w, rotate counterclockwise till stop then mark f/w, measure with something flexable between marks find exactly the middle of string to find TDC on the flywheel then adjust pointer to that mark. The ones I have are plastic from the threads down and will mushroom if you try to put any real force on them, fyi.

The one I use now is a dial indicator you thread in the plug hole....makes finding tdc a lot quicker and easier.

:jesterlaugh: You already have the "correct" tool to do the job, why chance it? A caveman like me just uses a penny or rag between the gears to do same thing. :jesterlaugh: Loosen sprocket nut before you even take chain off.

You can't use the penny trick because they are not completely copper.I recommend a piece of .080 solder wire.Its soft enough to conform to the backlash between the gears.Or sometimes i use a copper banjo bolt washer..