new motor broke piston (why?)

that was one hell of a jump from a 180 to a 140 especially being at sea level. i wonder if he did a leak-down on it. and i wonder if he chamfered the ports when/if he bored it. could be a number of things......just make sure that you stay on him about WHY it popped like that. i'd see if he'd be willing to repair it under a warranty on his work....and if he does/if he doesn't i'd still ask for my old parts back. here in michigan if you ask they must supply you with old parts unless too big to transport or if they are being sent back for manufacturer warranty research. if you get back the parts you can REALLY see all the damage and maybe we coudl help you out figuring what went wrong by the pics...

I would find a new builder!!! all bikes are different but 140 seems WAY too lean IMO

X2....I have similiar set-up running a 160 main at sea level & I have no problems. I doubt that you was to rich at 160 mains. Depending on the weather the smallest main I run is a 158 (summer 80*- 100*) & largest is 165(winter 20*- 40*). I can bet my shee on that you we're to lean after installing that 140 main. Have a site sponsor help you out with parts & tell them what you want & they will most def. get you back riding reliable again.

Edited by 252wheelieking

I would get a new builder. Give kevin at Herr Jugs Racing a call. He won't do you wrong. Great guy to deal with. The broken piston could be caused by excessive piston to cylinder wall clearance, detonation from a lean condition, porting the intakes of the pistons can also caus cracks and breaks. Post up pictures of your spark plugs, domes, and tops of the pistons and we might be able to help you out a little better. Those three things will tell you tons about how the motor was running.

that was one hell of a jump from a 180 to a 140 especially being at sea level. i wonder if he did a leak-down on it. and i wonder if he chamfered the ports when/if he bored it. could be a number of things......just make sure that you stay on him about WHY it popped like that. i'd see if he'd be willing to repair it under a warranty on his work....and if he does/if he doesn't i'd still ask for my old parts back. here in michigan if you ask they must supply you with old parts unless too big to transport or if they are being sent back for manufacturer warranty research. if you get back the parts you can REALLY see all the damage and maybe we coudl help you out figuring what went wrong by the pics...

[/quote

Well warranty is out of the question, we have been through that, along with some other shit he broke, like the clutch cover ear and in return leaked all my fluid out while riding and I paid another 160.00 for clutches and 450.00 for lock out and cover (since I was there). But thats another story and Ill calm down now. I talked to an actual builder that does this for a living and not a hobby about my bike and has said the exact same thing yall are talking about. Dont know if yall know him but he owns LRE in Breaux Bridge LA. he seemed to know his sht. If anyone knows him, reply , I need it. Oh, and I would like to put a good word in for WCR, I freakin love my transmission. Sorry I didnt buy from a sponsor on here, but it was too late till I found out, but there is always more to come. Yall know what Im talking about, thanks fellas

Same thing happened to a buddy of mine. He had a local builder do a Vito's 4 mill. After he broke a piston we discovered the builder re-using his old crank seals was the culprit, but like everyone else has said it could be anything.