ipad or ipad 2

Ok so my lil girl turns 6 in may and im wondering if it would b a good gift for her to learn on or for games was thinking an ipod but this thing sound amazing...think its a good idea for a young kid?

Ok so my lil girl turns 6 in may and im wondering if it would b a good gift for her to learn on or for games was thinking an ipod but this thing sound amazing...think its a good idea for a young kid?

I have the original iPad, and it was great for a few weeks. The major frustrations I found with it, is it does not work with Flash, no way to lock the screen while a movie is playing (sucks for kids who constantly want to touch shit). I have never used the iPad 2, but I haven't turned mine on in about a month or so... browsing the internet is kinda difficult, and I always hated the fact that it constantly opens new windows, rather than tabbed browsing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have herd if they the battery goes dead then you have to reinstall any apps, or files that did not come installed from the factory. It is like it looses its memory. That is with the Ipad. I dont know about the Ipad 2.

I have been looking at the Motorola Xoom powered by android honeycomb

• 6 months later...

Well the major difference between ipad and ipad 2 is the dual core processor...I guess the later one should be 2x fast..and another difference is the face time front and back camera..I personally own the ipad1 and I can tell for sure that it never lags or slows down...so I am not sure if there is any need for that dual core processor..I mean there is nothing wrong with having it..but its not that crucial for a idevice thats all..

also it kind of looks awkward to take photos on a massive device like the ipad...if you have a decent camera phone or the iphone, I gues u wont be needing it either..so other than these 2 features, ipad 2 does not really have any other major tricks up in its arsenal...tho still I would choose the ipad 2 over the ipad1 only if both of them was available.. but I dont think its worth the wait...and ipad 1 is no slouch by all means.. hope this helps..:)

I bought my wife an iPad 2. It's pretty amazing. I would recommend getting the 3G option so you can surf the net when away from wi-fi. Don't know if it would be appropriate for a six year old. Guess it would depend on the child.

Wheat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have herd if they the battery goes dead then you have to reinstall any apps, or files that did not come installed from the factory. It is like it looses its memory. That is with the Ipad. I dont know about the Ipad 2.

wow that sucks. ive never been a apple guy because of crap like that.

Not true at all...

Honeycomb sucks. Just wait. Ice Cream Sandwhich is coming out for Tablets soon. (Google comes up with the OS names, not me...)

Asus Tranformer Prime tablets will be king ding a ling in Android tablet world soon.

Apple makes a nice device, their customer service is the shit. I'm just not an apple fan. Too locked down, etc.

Android is where it's at for me. I stole a few HP Touchpads for firesale pricing (99 for a 16GB). They are not expandable, but for 100 bucks it was the best technology purchase I've ever made.

WebOS is a great tablet OS, it just lacks a good browser and app support. Now that it's been given over to open source developers...that may change.

You can also install Android on the touchpad and dual boot either OS.

For me, there's more things you can do with Android. I don't like the cell models, I have my phone setup for a WiFi hotspot if WiFi is not available.

Just one more cost they stick you with to the tune of $20 to $50 per month.

Not true at all...

Honeycomb sucks. Just wait. Ice Cream Sandwhich is coming out for Tablets soon. (Google comes up with the OS names, not me...)

Asus Tranformer Prime tablets will be king ding a ling in Android tablet world soon.

Apple makes a nice device, their customer service is the shit. I'm just not an apple fan. Too locked down, etc.

Android is where it's at for me. I stole a few HP Touchpads for firesale pricing (99 for a 16GB). They are not expandable, but for 100 bucks it was the best technology purchase I've ever made.

WebOS is a great tablet OS, it just lacks a good browser and app support. Now that it's been given over to open source developers...that may change.

You can also install Android on the touchpad and dual boot either OS.

For me, there's more things you can do with Android. I don't like the cell models, I have my phone setup for a WiFi hotspot if WiFi is not available.

Just one more cost they stick you with to the tune of $20 to $50 per month.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I rooted my android phone primarily for the free wifi hotpot via wifi tether but I never new how many doors it opened. A rooted android phone is far better than anything apple can put out. We bought our daughter a ipod touch 4g and I looked into jailbreaking it but the only thing that's available is a tethered jailbreak which means you have to re jailbreak every tome it gets rebooted or it'll get stuck at the boot screen. What kind of crap is that?! Apple sucks.

ummm, it is true if your battery complete dies and you let it stay dead it will lose everything.

and by everything, i mean you have to reinstall itune back onto the ipod. had it happen to me on my itouch.

Sorry Zilla...I respectfully disagree. I lost my itouch 3 for months. It was dead as dead could be...

I let it charge once I found it for a day.

Everything was there just like I left it, although slow since it had to catch up to all my work email.

And no...it wasn't plugged into my computer/iTunes. It was plugged into an AC Charger.

so you saying mine didn't lose everything then?

No.

I'm saying mine didn't.... I've got three iPod touches in the house (G/F, mine and step son).

Step son is lazy when it comes to stuff like that... none of us have ever lost everything.

Not sure what your case is...all I can tell you is my experiences.