Need Help Chooseing Carburetor Set Up!

Thack82

Guy's I need help choosing the right carburetor set up for my banshee. I want to do away with my stock carbs, I'm beginning to think there beyond fixing. My Banshee runs great but I'm tired of the stock carbs leaking gas I've put new rebuild kits in both of them and I still have one missing. I opened the leaking carb up and noticed there was a brass tube missing. I cut a Carb cleaner straw and put it in there where the brass tube was missing and it still leaks.

That being said I want to go ahead and get a new set of performance Carburetors my brother put a 38mm Kiehin PWK Air Striker on his 1989 TRX -250R and it made a tremendous difference on his bike. I thought about going with a PWK Air Striker set up on my Banshee but the smallest size they make is a 34mm and I don't want to go that big. So I'm leaning towards a 28mm Mikuni TM Flat Slide Carburetor set up. I've been talking to Paul at PJ Motorsports about my different options. He suggested I post a Topic on HQ and get you input before deciding.

So here it is what Carburetor setup do you guy suggest for my set up and riding style. I mostly trail ride, Endurance Race/Hare Scrambles, and 300ft sand drags at the near by county fairs. Just like everyone else I want the best throttle response, power, and over all reliability that I can get at the best price. I built my Banshee from stock so I know every mod that is in it. I am going to copy and past my build sheet bellow so you guys know what I've got so I can get them matched for my build and riding style.

By the way even though I trail ride and race Hare Scrambles I don't want a 2 to 1 Carburetor set up.

----------------Engine-------------

Bore: . .020<br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 0, 0);"> Crank: Hotrods Forged Replacment<br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 0, 0);"> Pistons: Wiseco Forged Pro-Lite<br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 0, 0);"> Port Work: None as of now Aggressive Trail Port Is planned for a later time<br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 0, 0);"> Plugs: NGKR BREADSIX Iridium Spark Plugs

Reeds: Boyesen Power Reeds in Chariot Billet Cages, with .5 inch Billet Reed Spacers <br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 0, 0);"> Boost Bottle: Magnum Billet Boost Bottle

Carburetors: OEM 26mm Mikuni with Vito's Stage III Jet Kit (320 main jets and #30 Pilots)<br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 0, 0);"> Exhaust: Paul Turner Mids and Fat Boy II Silencers<br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 0, 0);"> Air Intake: Ready High Flow Filter In OEM Air Box with Outerwear's High Flow Lid, and Snorkel Booty <br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 0, 0);"> Head: Trinity Stage IV Cool Head with polished combustion Chambers and 20cc Domes

Cooling Modifications: 30% Bigger Aluminum Radiator, Mod Quad Billet Water Pump Housing and Impeller, Dual Mod Quad 2" Inline Coolers, CV-4 High Pressure Radiator Cap

Lubricants Used:

(Ounces/Gallon)

Klotz Super TechnoPlate Full Synthetic 20% Caster 2 Stroke Oil (32/1)

Klotz Octane Booster (1/1)

Marel's Mystery Oil (2/1) 50oz Red-Line Super ATV Coolant, 12oz Prestone Dex-Cool, 12oz Red-Line Water Wetter, 16oz AMS Dominator Coolant Boost

Keihin pwk 33's, you will lose a little on the bottom but top end will be wild.There's a set on ebay going pretty cheap.

With the wide variety of riding he does, im willing to bet the loss of some low end power is a no go.

Thack, I think your looking in the right direction w the 28mm PWK's. They're great carbs, easy to tune, and quite responsive once you've got em dialed in.... AND you dont have to change your intakes and or air filter set-up.

i have ridden both 28s and 33s on same bike,i noticed almost no diffrence on bottom but mid to top is very noticable,if you plan on an aggressive trail port you wont besorry.Im just sayin its pennies diffrence between the two,go bigger rite away, the 33 pwk is a great carb for low end but can support whatever move you make

Thank you guys very much for all your input, Paul "one of the BHQ Sponsors" said I would be crazy not to get your guys opinion before deciding, and I agree your input has helped me out. Sleeper06 I agree that a one time fix would be the smartest way to go, but I'm afraid they might me a little big for my set up. I estimated my Horse Power around 60-65 one time and some of the HQ members said I was way off. I would be doing good to be pushing 50. I'm afraid 33mm Carbs might be to big form my set up. If I was going to go with 33mm Keihin Carbs wouldn't I be better off to jump 1mm and buy the Keihin 34mm PWK Air Strikers?

I have a fellow HQ Member thats offering to sell me a set of Keihin 28mm Flat slides for $150.00 right now I think thats my best bet, what do you guys think? I've also had people tell me that the Banshee motor was designed to run Mikuni's and it will put out more power if I stick to Mikuni's Flat Slide set up. Is there any truth to that? I've narrowed it down to these choices.

28mm Keihin Flat Slide's

34mm Keihin Air Strikers (Only if you guys think they wont be to big for my set up)

28mm Mikuni Flat Slide's (Only if you guys agree that the Banshee is set up to run Mikuni Carb's and they will benefit my set up more than Keihin Carbs)

Heres my Mod list again, its hard to read in my first post:

.020 bore, Hot Rod's Crank, Wiseco Pro-Lite Pistons, Trinity Stage IV Cool Head/20cc Domes, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, Dynatec Ignition Coil, High Output Ricky Stator, Paul Turner Mids/Fat Boy Silencers, Chariot Billet Reed Cages/Boyesen Power Reeds/Chariot Billet Reed Cage Spacers, Magnum Boost Bottle, Ready High Flow Filter, Outerwears High Flow Lid/Snorkel Booty, RMStator Adjustable Timing Plate (+4°), Oversized Aluminum Radiator/CV-4 Cap/Mod-Quad Billet H20 Impeller/ Mod-Quad Billet Inline Coolers. I'm sure theres a few things I'm forgetting but you get the point. You should be able to estimate the increased power from what I've listed. I have built the motor for Maximum low end Power so far. I don't know if this will be useful in any way but I'm running a Drive-Line Heavy Duty Trail and Track Clutch/Streamline Hydraulic Lever and slave cylinder, 15/42 Gearing, and the suspension has all been upgraded.

Thanks agian guys,

Jim Thacker

:notworthy:

absolutely hands down buy 32/34 or 36/36mm HV lectrons.

NO jets/ extremely easy to get parts for and JETTING is a breeze. the larger lectrons will make more bottom end AND still rev like larger carbs on top.

call PACKARD and ask him about them.

i dont care what these other guys say...

the 32 34 will fit stock boots.

• 3 years later...

Here's his mod list from his profile.

04 Banshee, Polished Serval, Hotrods Crank, Trinity Pistons and IV Cool Head/21cc Domes, R2 Pipes, Pro-Design Intakes, Outerwears Air Box Lid, Pro-Design Intakes/Boost Bottle, Boyesen Power Reeds/Billet Reed Cages/Spacers, 32mm Mikuni TM Carbs INTEL-A-JET Fuel Induction System, Driveline Clutch, Full Dyna-Tek Ignition, Upgraded Suspension and Cooling System and so much more!!!