coated my R2s

burhead

Well this coating is as durable or better than powder coating. How do I know? I had to strip one of the pipes down. When I baked it, it bubbled up. I thought "no bid deal, nothing a little sandblasing cant handle". Wrong. After 2 hours and only about half of the pipe done, I went to air craft stripper followed up with 60 grit sand paper. Still have to hit all the welds with the sand blaster and recoat. The "grill paint" that came on these pipes was completely stripped from the pipe in about 20 minutes.

They were still wet in the picture. After I baked them they dulled down a bit. They look more like raw aluminum now. The product is available from tech line coatings. It is spray on. I bead blasted the pipes then applied the coating using a 15 dollar harbor freight detail gun. They look much better than black IMHO especially since my bike has a silver frame. There are several colors available, this one is "aluminum". I was going to go with the titanium finish and will probably try that on the next pipe I do.

Finally got to get some seat time over the last couple of days. Just went out and played on some gravel roads because we still have alot of snow covering everything else. I am very happy with these pipes and the coating as well. After a long ride down the road, I can touch the pipe and not get burned. These pipes perform just as the other reviewers said. They hit hard in the mid range and just keep pulling. I am coming from fattys and while I think they are a great pipe, especially for trails, they fall off too soon for my liking. The fattys did have a little more in the low mid range and I found the power on the R2's seem to kick in a little later. I'm happy for now but I will have to see how they do in the trails. I am also running the same jetting as my fattys and will have to play around a bit and see what works best.

Finally got to get some seat time over the last couple of days. Just went out and played on some gravel roads because we still have alot of snow covering everything else. I am very happy with these pipes and the coating as well. After a long ride down the road, I can touch the pipe and not get burned. These pipes perform just as the other reviewers said. They hit hard in the mid range and just keep pulling. I am coming from fattys and while I think they are a great pipe, especially for trails, they fall off too soon for my liking. The fattys did have a little more in the low mid range and I found the power on the R2's seem to kick in a little later. I'm happy for now but I will have to see how they do in the trails. I am also running the same jetting as my fattys and will have to play around a bit and see what works best.

Good to hear, I've been hearing good things about the R2's. Wow so that stuff must really keep them cool huh?

Those pipes sure sit pretty high up, that would take some getting used too.