Kickstart stuck ALL THE TIME!....help?

Ok so this is a stupid question, but it drives me crazy. Im riding mostly in deserts (both hard pack and dunes) and my kickstart will not twist out, pretty much every time (once im riding). My buddy has a Banshee and has the problem too but not as bad as mine. Everytime I want to twist it out so I can kick it, i have to pour a little water to get it out. I have taken it off and cleaned it, tried spraying chain lube on it (makes it worse), tried keepin it lubed with wd-40, and nothing works! Now i try to leave it halfway twisted out the whole time i ride!

any suggestions?

thanks

Another post from a loooong time ago...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Holyman kicker fix.

Here's what you do...

You go to the hardware store {Sears, Ace etc.} and buy...

1- .25" steel ball bearing

1- M6x40 allen head screw {I'll give instructions on how to find the right one later}

1- #8 spring

1- #2 spring and

1- #86 spring

A- Take the kicker off the bike and clamp it in the vice.

B- Remove the kicker lever. If the screw is stripped, drill a 3/16 hole into the OTHER end of the screw not into the head of the screw. You should be able to use a screw driver or a chisel and work the screw loose now.

C- Be careful to save the stock spring that is behind the ball. {if it's still there}

D- Use a Dremel tool to open up the hole in the post big enough to fit the .25" ball into it. DO NOT use force to fit the ball into the hole, you'll NEVER get it out.

E- smear some grease into the hole and then put in the original spring {or one of the springs listed above. You will need to cut it down if you use one of the hardware store springs}

F- smear more grease onto the post that the lever slips on to.

G- Take the cone shaped spring and cut it in half and put it on top of the post with the small end facing up. Make sure the spring isn't so wide that it is wider than the post. If it is, cut it down some more or bend in the part that sticks out.

H- Slide the kick lever onto the post and screw in the allen screw to hold it on.

******** Here's where you need to know how to get the right allen screw. ***********

When you go to the hardware store, take the kicker with you. You want to buy an allen screw that has a shank {the unthreaded part} that is long enough so that NO threads are in the groove area of the post. To find this out, thread in the screw into the kick lever all the way. Then look into the hole in the bottom of the lever and see if there are any threads visible in the hole. If not, then you have the right one.

I- After the kicker is completely assembled, make sure it rotates smoothly. Then cut off the rest of the allen bolt that's sticking out and re-install the kicker.

It should last a lifetime. Some guys will re-install an O ring.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There are kits available now, try Fast, M&M, or even eBay.

Another post from a loooong time ago...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You don't need all that crap... open it up, grease the check ball, and the hole the spring goes down in, and put a 1/8" o-ring ontop of the check ball before you reassemble it. Done and done...

Mine did the same when I first got my bike. I live in the desert, so there is very little water. More dirt and sand for me. I didn't have to deal with a possible rust issue inside the kicker like prolly most of ya. I used to live in Michigan. To Damn cold for me!

All I did to my kicker was rotate to the down position while on the bike and poured some Royal Purple 5/30 in it. Did this a couple different times. Not had an issue with it sticking again. Mine still rattles but I can live with that for now.

Now that you guys posted how to fix it, I'll be able to if it ever locks back up on me. Thanks for posting the fix M8's!

Edited by Spidy

Matt, I have rebuilt lots of these things going with the 1/4" ball and spring route....Way better, and the way I do mine = no more rattles.

Mike

I'm sure there are other ways of doing it. I did my buddies with the o-ring in mid 2004, and his still hasn't stuck, or rattled since. Took about 10 minutes start to finish.

You don't need all that crap... open it up, grease the check ball, and the hole the spring goes down in, and put a 1/8" o-ring ontop of the check ball before you reassemble it. Done and done...

exactly

i like to find a nice thick oring to replace the factory one to stop the rattle and keep the grease in and then pack it full of grease. no reason to fix what isnt broke when all it needs is a little grease.