Is something bent?

rocz

I went to put my new front shocks on my 88 the other day and i noticed that the left one as your sitting on it went right in with out having to unbolt anything, but the right wouldn't go in without unbolting the upper arm. I looked everything over when it was all apart i didn't notice anything bent. Any ideas on what might be wrong?? :confused:

I had it all taken apart, cleaned up everything, made new bushings for the j arms and a arms. It did have a bent shock on the right side when i got it, but the ball joints feel real nice and i just don't see anything that is bent. You guys see anything im missing? How do the shocks go in on, do they go in easy with everything bolted up or do you have to unbolt the j arms?

12-28-10-1.jpg

12-28-10-10.jpg

12-28-10-11.jpg

12-28-10-6.jpg

12-28-10-4.jpg

Edited by rocz

I think you should just start pulling measurements. Take the wheels off and find a good referance point (I like to use the foot pegs because it is unlikely they are bent) and measure from that point to the center of the spindal. Write your measurements down and do both sides. You need to do this from several points and to all the questionable mounting points of the suspension components. Basically what you are doing is triangulating these points and comparing from one side of the bike to the other which should pin point the problem. Hope this helps.

Run your finger over the back side of the J arm just outside the reinforcing gusset. (about 3" out from the bushing) If you feel ripples in the tube, the J arm is bent. It's unlikely that the frame is bent. I've seen some pretty mangled J arms, and the frame was fine. In the 4th pic, it kind of looks like what I'm talking about. In the top left corner of the pic, you see 2 shiny spots with a dark spot in between on the J arm.

Edited by Starwriter

The angle of your arms in the pic taken from the front looks really steep. Are you sure your shocks are the correct length? They might be an inch or two too long and its throwing off the alignment of everything. The paint chipping off around the j-arm mounts on the frame also makes me think your whole frame might be tweaked from a rollover. Given its a J-Arm frame, its been around for over 20 years now. Chances are its been rolled or crashed in those 20 years. Maybe its time to just invest in a new frame if stuff isn't lining up or appears crooked.

What the length of your shocks eye to eye? Maybe I'm just used to seeing our banshees with the +2 and +3 a-arms and I've forgotton how steep the stock a-arms sit, but yours look odd to me for some reason.

Run your finger over the back side of the J arm just outside the reinforcing gusset. (about 3" out from the bushing) If you feel ripples in the tube, the J arm is bent. It's unlikely that the frame is bent. I've seen some pretty mangled J arms, and the frame was fine. In the 4th pic, it kind of looks like what I'm talking about. In the top left corner of the pic, you see 2 shiny spots with a dark spot in between on the J arm.

good eyes it does have some ripples back their, and looking down it, it just doesn't look like it has the same bend as the other side.

The angle of your arms in the pic taken from the front looks really steep. Are you sure your shocks are the correct length? They might be an inch or two too long and its throwing off the alignment of everything. The paint chipping off around the j-arm mounts on the frame also makes me think your whole frame might be tweaked from a rollover. Given its a J-Arm frame, its been around for over 20 years now. Chances are its been rolled or crashed in those 20 years. Maybe its time to just invest in a new frame if stuff isn't lining up or appears crooked.

What the length of your shocks eye to eye? Maybe I'm just used to seeing our banshees with the +2 and +3 a-arms and I've forgotton how steep the stock a-arms sit, but yours look odd to me for some reason.

the shocks are the same length as the stock ones i checked that when i put them on. I looked over the frame today, i don't see anything or feel anything wrong with the frame. I'm going to start taking some measurements of stuff to make sure the frame is good. I think the problem is in that j arm like Starwriter said it even looks like that tire is cambered in and the spring comes real close to the j arm.

J arms are getting stupidly expensive. People want $50 on ebay for arms that are bent worse than yours. I was shocked to see that new retail is $274 each. Here's a nice pair of D arms for cheap at this point, but keep in mind that if you whack something really hard with these babies, you will probably bend your frame.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&item=110630322930

J arms are getting stupidly expensive. People want $50 on ebay for arms that are bent worse than yours. I was shocked to see that new retail is $274 each. Here's a nice pair of D arms for cheap at this point, but keep in mind that if you whack something really hard with these babies, you will probably bend your frame.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=110630322930

Thanks for the link ill be keeping a eye on them, its crazy what people want a bent J ive looked at some on their that do look way worse i cant believe they even try to sell them

ever think of converting to a arms? Nice shee by the way

Thanks. I thought about doing a swap, I just don't want to spend the money on a different frame if mine is still good tho.