goes in neutral then pops out

putzer

i finnaly got my carbs clean and new carbon reeds in and both cylinders running kept fouling out the plug but now i got it all tuned up.

so to the other problem we were out riding and came back to the grage to check the color of the plugs and we couldnt get it into neutral we could find the half click but as soon as we went to move it it would click into second.

the guy we bought it from said there was a race clutch in it the clutch goes hard and when its fully engaged the wheeles dont move easy but that seems ok though to get a nice shift and all the other gears work fine and you can start it up with the clutch it just moves alittle.

so does anyone know why it wont stay in neutral thanks

post-38532-12933952292028_thumb.jpg

you need to start by pulling the clutch cover and seeing what is going on. it is possible the drum retainer (plate that slides in behind the star) is loose, which will throw the forks out of allignent, but most likely there is a bent, or really worn fork. if the drum is in all the way, and it's hitting the neutral tenant on one of the star peaks, then the gears aren't staying where they should. that's in the fork system. btw, you have to split the cases to find, and fix that problem. there are worse things that can happen with bad forks, like locking it in 2 gears at once, and popping out. both of which can destroy the whole trans cluster.

wille i had the clutch cover off it was shifting into neutral fine and i didnt see any thing to tighten i didnt pull the clutch off though any ways i put the cover back on and sometimes it stays in neutral somtimes it pops out there is a little bit of play side to side with it i think thats normal though

Do you have a clymers manual? It will help immensly with the wording that we are all using. It will be easier to look at the open case, and refer back and forth to the thread, and manual, and know the way that the forks and drum are supposed to look and operate.

I had the exact same problem with my GSXR, it was the shift fork, due to me using the gearing to slow down the bike in second gear, or backloading the tranny.

Do you have a clymers manual? It will help immensly with the wording that we are all using. It will be easier to look at the open case, and refer back and forth to the thread, and manual, and know the way that the forks and drum are supposed to look and operate.

I had the exact same problem with my GSXR, it was the shift fork, due to me using the gearing to slow down the bike in second gear, or backloading the tranny.

ok thanks ya i was thinking about getting one

well, the shift star is screwed to the drum, so you check to se if that can be moved in/out. it will be stiff so, you have to use a prybar of sorts. actually, you can bacload a stock trans as much as you want. the forks get bent by forcing it in gear, or missing gears. if you have ever heard it grind going in, that is when it can happen. of coarse, there is also simply wear, i wnich case the gear can move freely on the fork to a limit. the detent/star sets where the gears will be and there is no adjustment for that. however, there is an eccentric screw, which is the slotted stud between the shift arm, that you can adjust to center the shifter. now, the clutch cover is actually what keeps the shift shaft from moving in/out. if it's pretty worn and the shifter moves in/out a good amount with the cover on, you can ditch the gasket and use blue rtv on there to tighten it up

well, the shift star is screwed to the drum, so you check to se if that can be moved in/out. it will be stiff so, you have to use a prybar of sorts. actually, you can bacload a stock trans as much as you want. the forks get bent by forcing it in gear, or missing gears. if you have ever heard it grind going in, that is when it can happen. of coarse, there is also simply wear, i wnich case the gear can move freely on the fork to a limit. the detent/star sets where the gears will be and there is no adjustment for that. however, there is an eccentric screw, which is the slotted stud between the shift arm, that you can adjust to center the shifter. now, the clutch cover is actually what keeps the shift shaft from moving in/out. if it's pretty worn and the shifter moves in/out a good amount with the cover on, you can ditch the gasket and use blue rtv on there to tighten it up

so tomaro ill check it out again and see if i can adjust the ecentric scew. to get to the shift star and drum retainer i have to remove the clutch? and it nothings loose ill have to split the case and probly find a bent fork. it just seems like somthings loose because sometimes it stay and somthimes it dosnt and it never did it befor well ill see thanks for your help

soo im pretty shure its a bent fork i was adjusting that shift shaft screw and watch the shift star as i was shifting it, it would click half way in then you move it and it would click in the rest of the way and the more i adsuted it it would do it in differnt gear so it seems like the fork is bent.

so i will have to pull the motor and split the case yay! : (

and the drum retainer was tight

Edited by putzer