Why are yfz450 shocks better ?

toomeysgoroom

Why are yfz450 shocks better than stock banshee i was at chapparel getting a new chain and i looked at the yfz 450 and i was looking at the fornt suspension and i was compressing it and it took alot of my weight to bring it down some and also the top of the shock its like compressed

post-38159-12918533776153_thumb.jpg

I'll try to explain this without getting too technical. LOL.

In general, reservoirs on shocks serve two purposes. One: they allow added cooling of the shock oil. Two: They have either an IFP (Internal floating piston), or a nitrogen bladder that keeps the nitrogen, and oil separate.

The fact of the matter is, ATV shocks don't displace enough oil, or generate enough heat for 99% of riders, to utilize the "cooling" effect of reservoirs.

Keeping the oil/nitrogen separate is crucial for CONSISTENT dampening. Both rebound, and compression. Keeping the nitrogen separate from the oil prevents foaming, and premature break down of the oil.

Non reservoir shocks blend the oil and nitrogen together, and after a while of riding, the oil will be all foamy, and that's where the term "fading" comes from.

The reason the coils look compressed on the top of the shock, is because it is a progressive spring. Meaning there are two different spring rates, in one spring... if that make sense. The tighter coils compress easier than the rest of the spring, acting almost like a dual rate shock (But not quite). As mentioned before, YFZ shocks also have compression and rebound adjustment, which is a huge plus. They do not work well on stock arms, but there are a few manufacturers out there who make arms that are designed to be used with these shocks. YFZ shocks are also completely rebuildable, and revalveable, and can be purchased for a fraction of the price of aftermarket shocks, with similar compression/rebound adjustments. These shocks will often be referred to as "3 way adjustable". Compression, rebound, and preload. Obviously these shocks are not going to out perform quality aftermarket shocks, but overall, they are a good option if you're on a budget, and run them with arms DESIGNED for those shocks.

Knowmesayin?

Why are yfz450 shocks better than stock banshee i was at chapparel getting a new chain and i looked at the yfz 450 and i was looking at the fornt suspension and i was compressing it and it took alot of my weight to bring it down some and also the top of the shock its like compressed

:blink: hey, I've seen those somewhere before...where did you find that picture? :ph34r:

I run them on stock A-arms... but hell, what do I know.

Edited by AssWhore

I'll try to explain this without getting too technical. LOL.

In general, reservoirs on shocks serve two purposes. One: they allow added cooling of the shock oil. Two: They have either an IFP (Internal floating piston), or a nitrogen bladder that keeps the nitrogen, and oil separate.

The fact of the matter is, ATV shocks don't displace enough oil, or generate enough heat for 99% of riders, to utilize the "cooling" effect of reservoirs.

Keeping the oil/nitrogen separate is crucial for CONSISTENT dampening. Both rebound, and compression. Keeping the nitrogen separate from the oil prevents foaming, and premature break down of the oil.

Non reservoir shocks blend the oil and nitrogen together, and after a while of riding, the oil will be all foamy, and that's where the term "fading" comes from.

The reason the coils look compressed on the top of the shock, is because it is a progressive spring. Meaning there are two different spring rates, in one spring... if that make sense. The tighter coils compress easier than the rest of the spring, acting almost like a dual rate shock (But not quite). As mentioned before, YFZ shocks also have compression and rebound adjustment, which is a huge plus. They do not work well on stock arms, but there are a few manufacturers out there who make arms that are designed to be used with these shocks. YFZ shocks are also completely rebuildable, and revalveable, and can be purchased for a fraction of the price of aftermarket shocks, with similar compression/rebound adjustments. These shocks will often be referred to as "3 way adjustable". Compression, rebound, and preload. Obviously these shocks are not going to out perform quality aftermarket shocks, but overall, they are a good option if you're on a budget, and run them with arms DESIGNED for those shocks.

Knowmesayin?

Matt, I know they make a couple different versions of the YFZ, are all the shocks the same length? Did one have additional adjustments? I saw someone say the rear shock would fit too. Is that correct?

Matt, I know they make a couple different versions of the YFZ, are all the shocks the same length? Did one have additional adjustments? I saw someone say the rear shock would fit too. Is that correct?

As far as I know, there were two different versions of the YFZ front shocks. One was a red-springed "SE" shock, but from what I remember, they are the exact same shock, just different spring lengths. I could be wrong, but I believe the red springs were a touch longer than any of the other ones. And the SE ones are also coated in some ridiculous ceramic coating that is next to impossible to strip.

The rear shock won't bolt up for two reasons. 1) It's quite a bit longer than the stock banshee rear. 2) The lower mount is the "fork type", which won't directly bolt up to the stock linkage of a banshee. I have, however, seen some people run a steel sleeve inside that fork, to use on a banshee, but I don't believe it was a YFZ shock.

As far as I know, there were two different versions of the YFZ front shocks. One was a red-springed "SE" shock, but from what I remember, they are the exact same shock, just different spring lengths. I could be wrong, but I believe the red springs were a touch longer than any of the other ones. And the SE ones are also coated in some ridiculous ceramic coating that is next to impossible to strip.

The rear shock won't bolt up for two reasons. 1) It's quite a bit longer than the stock banshee rear. 2) The lower mount is the "fork type", which won't directly bolt up to the stock linkage of a banshee. I have, however, seen some people run a steel sleeve inside that fork, to use on a banshee, but I don't believe it was a YFZ shock.

Thanks for the info. That's what I thought on the rear, but it seems to me I just saw someone post that you could, kinda confused me a little.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just playin with ya. Thats a picture of mine that I posted a couple years ago. They are 2008 yfz450se shocks I got off ebay. They're on my banshee in my sig.

Forget your sig dude, whos your friend in the avatar?

Also, Matt, whats the idea behind a "dune edition", which never seems to have an external ressie then? Does the oil and gas still mix?

Also, Matt, whats the idea behind a "dune edition", which never seems to have an external ressie then? Does the oil and gas still mix?

Well, most people call their Stage 1 shocks "Dune Editions", when in reality most of them are not. They are just stage 1's. The bottom of the line Elka's. Dune editions initially were intended to only be sold as a kit, with arms, shocks, tie rods, and brake lines. That was how it was supposed to be. But being that Elka can never make up their mind, and be consistent with marketing, they started selling shocks labeled as "dune editions". The "dune edition" shocks typically are dual rate piggyback shocks, with compression adjustment only. GENERALLY no rebound adjustment on them.

• 2 weeks later...

almost right on there but a little off.

the yfz shocks are longer than stock banshee. The se shocks are hi/lo compression adjustable while regular yfz are just hi speed compression adjustable as well as preload and rebound.. the se are a little longer but still work on stock banshee arms. yfzr shocks are long travel shocks and are an additional few inches longer. Also se comes in many colors and the springs are identical as far as i could tell. They differ in appearance from stock yfz on the ressy as they have a lip at the bottom and the stock ones are smooth.

• 4 weeks later...