yfz conversion fix

Darthwall

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

i THINK i WANT TO CHIME IN HEAR.. most of the people on this forum are not pro level rider so. fuck your high end suspension.. I have the yfz shit, (ya it has some major bump steer and inst right) but the money I saved I bought my boy a kx 65 to race HS on, and even with my cobbled front end I will make 98% of everyone I see at any riding area look just stupid if they try to keep up ,, why cause I can ride, why cause I practice . that's why I don't have 10,000 post.... I love seeing the guys with there 10,000 quads sitting and watching and kicking there tires... I rode a quad from the time I was 7 until I was 11 and it didn't even have shocks.... but seriously if you think you to have a set of custom lt axis shocks done up by Matt to be fast or enjoy to sport you dont.. I have a sick 265 R with all the after market shit and shocks done my Mark Baldwin ( don't get much better then that) and Im just as fast through the woods on my shee... so that being said unless your bombing your quad 80ft plus or hitting whoops 5th pinned the yfz set up is good.. it does however take a little more than the info posted to make it as good as it can get..

p.s. Matt you might do good work, but you r very unprofessional.. sorry.. but true.. I read where you even called a guy a fucking retard, and he was a customer of yours.. wow...

Ii

I am the one Matt called a fucking retard, and I expect that kind of comment from a sponsor with money invested in me. :headbang:

You said "fuck your high end suspension." What is that all about? There is so much negativity there. Did you just have a bad day? Its not like a pair of standard travel a-arms and aftermarket shocks cost $10,000. For what yfz a-arms, tie rods and shocks cost, you could have bought a used set of aftermarket a-arms and shocks. Its your own fault that you spent your money on the yfz front end, and not GOOD suspension. Dont "be hatin" on the rest of us.

You are correct that most members of this forum are not pro level riders, well I am close. I have raced nationals on a banshee with a stock yfz front end, and in 3 weeks I will be racing a national on an aftermarket standard travel front end. The difference is unbelieveable.

It makes absolutely NO SENSE to spend money on a yfz front end when that money can be spent on aftermarket front banshee shocks, especially since the camber isnt adjustable on yfz a-arms.

How much do stock yfz shock cost? $175-$250

Stock yfz a-arms $150-$200

Forget tie rods which will have to be made (40) and spindles/brakes.

That is enough money to buy aftermarket banshee a-arms and aftermarket used shocks. It will still cost you a little bit to get them set up for your weight, but the difference is outstanding.

Im not putting down your yfz front end, I raced on one for years and I was one of the first members of this site to try it, but with the deals I see on shocks and a-arms on this forum, it just makes sense to stay away from a yfz front end.

I don't hate on anyone... its people haveing e anyone that can ride with out high end Shit I have 300 bones in mine and its all brand new... and if you want to compete on a pro level you might want ditch the banshee. Races r won in the corners at that level and the banshee just can't get out of them like a four stroke.. and Matt didn't even know it was you while he was cursing you.. must be a tight rider sponser relationship you guys have. Good luck...

Haha, I just saw the updates in this thread.

Obvious sarcasm is obvious... to most of us... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

LONGROD, Are you saying that YFZ suspension is equal to, or better than aftermarket suspension? Because if so, you are TERRIBLY mistaken.

I'll just state the basics of why the YFZ shocks are inferior to even the bottom of the line Works Performance shocks.

First off, I'm a fan of static valving, which the YFZ use... HOWEVER, they use a TIIINNNNYYYYY (powder pressed) piston that flows horribly. When you have the opportunity to work on a set or 30, let me know what you find when you mic the valving plates on the low speed compression side. Yamaha has stacked about 8 +1 plates on the LSC side of the piston... In my opinion, it's because they had to over compensate for loose tolerances in the compression adjuster.

Just a few weeks ago, I dyno'd a YFZ shock, and came to the conclusion that they are actually decent shocks... for a YFZ. The rebound and compression adjusters do almost nothing... compression side changed roughly 9%, and the rebound side changed 14% (not bad, but not great). That was click to click. Compression set full hard ---> full soft. 9%, that's terrible. Pointless in my opinion.

Banshee's are so incredibly front heavy, that in order for them to work RIGHT, they would need to be valved even stiffer than they are now. Nearly impossible as the +1 is already stacked about 8 high.

In conclusion, as stated in the other 450 threads about this topic: If you can get YFZ shocks for <$100, I'd say sure, go for it temporarily. But spending $250-300 on YFZ shocks is a terrible idea.

LONGROD, I'm glad you're happy with your bike and the way it rides, however, it's not the best handling bike out there. No one has suggested spending thousands of dollars on suspension. In fact, everyone who emails me, calls me, or PM's me, the FIRST thing I tell them, is "don't spend money if you don't need to". Hell, I give away almost as much stuff as I sell. It's obvious that I'm not telling people to buy aftermarket suspension just to waste money. I don't even sell shocks... why would it matter to me what brand of shock people buy? If I were after nothing but money, I'd tell everyone to buy YFZ shocks, because they need about $300-$400 in them, to make them comparable to a set of Works.

[/rant]

i THINK i WANT TO CHIME IN HEAR.. most of the people on this forum are not pro level rider so. fuck your high end suspension.. I have the yfz shit, (ya it has some major bump steer and inst right) but the money I saved I bought my boy a kx 65 to race HS on, and even with my cobbled front end I will make 98% of everyone I see at any riding area look just stupid if they try to keep up ,, why cause I can ride, why cause I practice . that's why I don't have 10,000 post.... I love seeing the guys with there 10,000 quads sitting and watching and kicking there tires... I rode a quad from the time I was 7 until I was 11 and it didn't even have shocks.... but seriously if you think you to have a set of custom lt axis shocks done up by Matt to be fast or enjoy to sport you dont.. I have a sick 265 R with all the after market shit and shocks done my Mark Baldwin ( don't get much better then that) and Im just as fast through the woods on my shee... so that being said unless your bombing your quad 80ft plus or hitting whoops 5th pinned the yfz set up is good.. it does however take a little more than the info posted to make it as good as it can get..

p.s. Matt you might do good work, but you r very unprofessional.. sorry.. but true.. I read where you even called a guy a fucking retard, and he was a customer of yours.. wow...

Haha, you're probably a C class rider with cobbled up machines like I see around here. For the price I have in my ENTIRE suspension (about $1500 not $10000) I am pretty confident that I could run ten laps faster than you can. Why? I'm not going to get into a pissing match about who's a better rider, but I'm capable of pushing my machines limits and I'm willing to bet that my suspension (purchased used +2+1 arms, new swinger,PEPS shocks worked by Matt, YFZ brakes) will allow me to be more consistent and less fatigued toward the end of the race. Even if you have me in the first couple of laps, that bump steer and soft front end (probably soft stock rear shock?) banging on the ground is going to beat the shit out of you. It is then you start to stuggle and in mid air I am side by side smiling as I land comfortably and you brace yourself for the landing....

And if you think riding ATVs when you were young makes you quick and experienced, what do I get for riding an ATC 110 with NO suspension and rear only brakes keeping up with friends with 200-250cc 4 wheelers when I was a kid?

Okay, done with the pissing match. Three things are obvious here...

1. You've never ridden a properly set up banshee and you are jealous of this (your loyalty to your suspension and anger show it)

2. You haven't quite grasped the concept of sarcasm

3. You really don't know Matt. He's very professional when it comes to his work and he is so cheap I question whether he makes much of a profit on any of it. So some of his posts are fuckin around, at least he's not asking where to get air filters....

nope i would not waste my money building a banshee to race, jealous no. but I have a couple R's that I would laugh at you if you challenged me on your banshee.. and i run 2009 shocks off the R model and they r not soft at all at least with the yfz a arms, was dirt cheap so I got it.. yep the caster is all wrong so bump steer sucks. so I will get a set of fire ball racing long travel arms this summer maybe .. and rear is stock shock set up by mark Baldwin... come on man everyone serious about the game knows the rear shock is most important... and please read my post again if you think I said a good after market set up is not better,, so please don't make ignorant comments .... and I said 10,000 quad not suspension.. not even possible on a quad , maybe mx bike back in the day of factory bikes, ( that does not mean stock for all u newbies)if memory serves me correct in 1993 when mcgrath raced for peak anti-freeze Honda his front forks alone cost $20,000. and as far as 4 strokes I would never have one on a quad, bike yes, its a must to keep up on the mx track.. I to like the idea of being the only two stroke on the line and people constantly asking wow what the hell is that. as for the sarcasm sorry but its how you came off to someone that doesn't know you... just letting ya know man.. and gotta-gofast did any quad or trike that size when we where kids have front brakes,, my yfm moto 4 80 sure didn't.. so just to let you all know Im one of the nicest guys you could ever meet and give credit where it is deserved and respected on other forums and well know around my area.. and yes I am lazy when it comes to my computer so yes I ask stupid questions on where to get shit I have never ordered before so get over it plus it gives something for most on here to bitch about. and ever seance i came back to this forum all I see is people being rude, I guess most banshee owners r a special breed. so the only time you will see me on here now is to talk some shit when I feel the need.. so say what ever to flex your tuff guy only can talk shit online probably get your teeth kicked in the real world cause your a pussy muscles I wont respond to this tread again.. there that should add a few more replies to this tread...lol

'98 Banshee

421 Serval with hotrods crank, prodesign 22cc head, VF3, chariot intake, 35mm PWKs with K&Ns, straight cut gears behind magnum basket and DD lock up clutch/cover, R2 pipes, Dyna curve 3. +2+1 arms, +2 chromoly roundhouse swinger, PEPS triple with ressie worked by socalsuspension and stock raptor shock with new spring and valving also by Matt. Many more parts to enhance the riding experience!

your going to be 10 laps faster then me on a track on this quad.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: I would not even break out my R for that, just my wallet for placing bets and my cobbled up banshee and c class skills.... sounds like a good dunner though...

Edited by LONGROD

nope i would not waste my money building a banshee to race, jealous no. but I have a couple R's that I would laugh at you if you challenged me on your banshee.. and i run 2009 shocks off the R model and they r not soft at all at least with the yfz a arms, was dirt cheap so I got it.. yep the caster is all wrong so bump steer sucks. so I will get a set of fire ball racing long travel arms this summer maybe .. and rear is stock shock set up by mark Baldwin... come on man everyone serious about the game knows the rear shock is most important... and please read my post again if you think I said a good after market set up is not better,, so please don't make ignorant comments .... and I said 10,000 quad not suspension.. not even possible on a quad , maybe mx bike back in the day of factory bikes, ( that does not mean stock for all u newbies)if memory serves me correct in 1993 when mcgrath raced for peak anti-freeze Honda his front forks alone cost $20,000. and as far as 4 strokes I would never have one on a quad, bike yes, its a must to keep up on the mx track.. I to like the idea of being the only two stroke on the line and people constantly asking wow what the hell is that. as for the sarcasm sorry but its how you came off to someone that doesn't know you... just letting ya know man.. and gotta-gofast did any quad or trike that size when we where kids have front brakes,, my yfm moto 4 80 sure didn't.. so just to let you all know Im one of the nicest guys you could ever meet and give credit where it is deserved and respected on other forums and well know around my area.. and yes I am lazy when it comes to my computer so yes I ask stupid questions on where to get shit I have never ordered before so get over it plus it gives something for most on here to bitch about. and ever seance i came back to this forum all I see is people being rude, I guess most banshee owners r a special breed. so the only time you will see me on here now is to talk some shit when I feel the need.. so say what ever to flex your tuff guy only can talk shit online probably get your teeth kicked in the real world cause your a pussy muscles I wont respond to this tread again.. there that should add a few more replies to this tread...lol

'98 Banshee

421 Serval with hotrods crank, prodesign 22cc head, VF3, chariot intake, 35mm PWKs with K&Ns, straight cut gears behind magnum basket and DD lock up clutch/cover, R2 pipes, Dyna curve 3. +2+1 arms, +2 chromoly roundhouse swinger, PEPS triple with ressie worked by socalsuspension and stock raptor shock with new spring and valving also by Matt. Many more parts to enhance the riding experience!

your going to be 10 laps faster then me on a track on this quad.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: I would not even break out my R for that, just my wallet for placing bets and my cobbled up banshee and c class skills.... sounds like a good dunner though...

So you know suspension, AND how to properly setup one of the newest cylinders out for the banshee? Better change your name to LONGGOD. :nohomo:

Edited by okbeast

I spent 200.00 for the yfz shocks, arms, tierods, spindles, breaks, ... If somebody wants to sell me a competitive race suspension setup for that I'm in. Until then my yfz will safice. It suits me just fine for the type of riding I do. I haven't heard one negative comment about it from anybody around here. People who can spend money on a quality aftermarket suspension are the minority. I'd have one if I could afford it, but I can't. People who can are without a doubt the minority. I've seen a shit load of banshee's in my area and only seen one other Sport quad period with an aftermarket suspension in my area.

No matter which way you look at it we're all enthusiasts of the sport. There's to many people right now trying to limit where we ride and when we ride. Those areas in which we can ride dwindle everyday. Put your petty differences aside and support each other.

i did the swap to my banshee because i had everything for free laying aroung from my yfz. I first used it on my drag bike with banshee shocks to make it set WAY low worked great but it went in stright line only lol... then i put it on my duner with yfz shocks spindles arms and some tierods. Man did it work great for what i did with it. it worked so much better than the stock banshee set up. but in my case i maybe had 20 bucks in ti due to the tie rods i made :headbang: but now i have a LSR long travel set up on it just because i wanted more a arm travel. i love this site but some times i wish people would stop bashing so much some 1 is allways going to have something better than the someone else.. i am on alot of other sites and the moderators erase stuff like this but hey.

So guys can't post their opinion? If someone wants to come on here and pretend their mismatched suspension is just as good I would like to offer my EXPERIENCE to others who are contemplating doing the swap. As said before, unless you can get YFZ stuff for super cheap, its much better to run parts made for our machine. To someone who doesn't know any better, $250 sounds great for used YFZ shocks compared to new Elkas.... but if you're going to buy a used shock then my suggestion is you look for a USED ELKA set (which can be found for around $300-$350) made specifically for your machine. I beat up on YFZs at the local tracks (and then beat them at the dirt drag sitting right next to the MX track) with my setup and I laugh because I still have less money in everything I've done than they owe their yamaha dealer...

As for longrod, a 250r is apples to oranges. Should I suggest an open country race where my 80+hp quad can actually stretch its legs against your R? See, not fair. But Banshee vs. Banshee a B class rider on MY banshee will keep pace with an A class rider on yours.

You REALLY don't know much about the new serval motor, do you? This engine has such a broad powerband that allows me to lug it (so I'm not hunting gears all the time) and wind it out and its happy. It allows me to run a +2 swinger because (as I found out earlier this month) I can powerslide very predictably with the power and tire combo. But out of the hole, that extra 2 inches gives me a huge advantage against 4 strokes that make half the power I do.

My point is, I think its unfair to fill someone's head with the false belief that they can have the same performance of a race suspension with take off parts from another ATV. Will it be better than stock? Of course. But for a little more money and some patience, you can find +2 arms and performance shocks used for $500-$700.

You think we are rude? If you browse around usually the individuals with a shitty attitude will recieve a shitty response from the rest of us. There are a lot of talented and knowledgeable banshee owners here that, when asked a question, will give an honest response.

My point is, I think its unfair to fill someone's head with the false belief that they can have the same performance of a race suspension with take off parts from another ATV. Will it be better than stock? Of course.

Well said. :cheers:

The fact is, YFZ shocks are built for a YFZ. Will they work on a Banshee, absolutely. Will they be better than stock, you betcha! Will they be better than a bottom of the line set of Works Performance shocks? Not a chance.

They cost WAY more money to repair than any aftermarket brand. Parts are harder to get. They are a progressive spring, rather than a true dual rate spring. In order to get YFZ shocks TRUE dual rate, bank on spending another $250 bucks on the spring kit from GT Thunder. Now you're into them for $500. You could have bought dual rate Elka's used for that much. And when they blow out, you're only out $174 bucks for the Elka's out the door, rather than $290 on the YFZ's for a straight up rebuild. Seems like a no-brainer to me. :confused:

i have always liked the simple works steelers for most all riders and weekend warriors they work great.

serious MX riders dont get on a banshee. they get smart and buy a suzuki. OR if they really want to kill themselves a outlaw banshee with a 80+hp serval..

i raced for a long time mx (1998-2001) i wasnt an A class rider but even with a very well built MX banshee after riding a BZONE stock suzuki 450r i was convinced that it was a much more supior machine for MX racing. MUCH more comfort and the egro was so much better. i could slide it through corners full power and NOT hit any part of my body on anything even the front fenders are far enough forward to clear its just crazy... of course thats my opinion. NOW being that said. i DO prefer my outlaw banshee for a rider just cause i am a banshee nut at heart.. adn now its just a hobby and i am a fat ass Ha

So guys can't post their opinion? If someone wants to come on here and pretend their mismatched suspension is just as good I would like to offer my EXPERIENCE to others who are contemplating doing the swap. As said before, unless you can get YFZ stuff for super cheap, its much better to run parts made for our machine. To someone who doesn't know any better, $250 sounds great for used YFZ shocks compared to new Elkas.... but if you're going to buy a used shock then my suggestion is you look for a USED ELKA set (which can be found for around $300-$350) made specifically for your machine. I beat up on YFZs at the local tracks (and then beat them at the dirt drag sitting right next to the MX track) with my setup and I laugh because I still have less money in everything I've done than they owe their yamaha dealer...

As for longrod, a 250r is apples to oranges. Should I suggest an open country race where my 80+hp quad can actually stretch its legs against your R? See, not fair. But Banshee vs. Banshee a B class rider on MY banshee will keep pace with an A class rider on yours.

You REALLY don't know much about the new serval motor, do you? This engine has such a broad powerband that allows me to lug it (so I'm not hunting gears all the time) and wind it out and its happy. It allows me to run a +2 swinger because (as I found out earlier this month) I can powerslide very predictably with the power and tire combo. But out of the hole, that extra 2 inches gives me a huge advantage against 4 strokes that make half the power I do.

My point is, I think its unfair to fill someone's head with the false belief that they can have the same performance of a race suspension with take off parts from another ATV. Will it be better than stock? Of course. But for a little more money and some patience, you can find +2 arms and performance shocks used for $500-$700.

You think we are rude? If you browse around usually the individuals with a shitty attitude will recieve a shitty response from the rest of us. There are a lot of talented and knowledgeable banshee owners here that, when asked a question, will give an honest response.

I could care less about your motor..80 HP is to much for mx. Ecspecialy on a 2 stroke that had a hard time finding traction. And if you can't back it around a corner with even a negative 1 or 2 your techniques wrong. Ecspecialy with that kind of power.. and a xc built 4 mill 330 r on race gas ported by nate mccoy might just catch you and your shee off guard.. and who runs r's on an mx banshee.