Banshee how much rev is too much?

papasmurf

Whats a good indication of a safe RPM to be at when shifting? I've just been basing it on sound and trying to ride out the powerband a bit in each gear. I was just racing a couple 4 strokes and I kept missing shifts and revving a lot higher than i normally would.

Mainly what I'm worried about is the kind of engine damage that can occur when you overrev a 2stroke? I've been reading on some other forums and people are saying that no damage will be done to 2 strokes when you overrev them, it simply won't make anymore power. Any truth to this?

I run motul 800 so I'm hoping that does a good job of protecting my engine :)

Whats a good indication of a safe RPM to be at when shifting? I've just been basing it on sound and trying to ride out the powerband a bit in each gear. I was just racing a couple 4 strokes and I kept missing shifts and revving a lot higher than i normally would.

Mainly what I'm worried about is the kind of engine damage that can occur when you overrev a 2stroke? I've been reading on some other forums and people are saying that no damage will be done to 2 strokes when you overrev them, it simply won't make anymore power. Any truth to this?

I run motul 800 so I'm hoping that does a good job of protecting my engine :)

motul 800 is good shit.

dunno man, i feel that its not pulling anymore so i change gear, but if im on a climb and i need to stay in that gear, ill keep it pinned till im up that hill, or if im flat out il keep 6th pinned for ages. ( i do think, "dont blow up" )haha.

you can usually just feel and hear it.

i feel the exact same. i havent been on the site for a while but as far as i remember, your pipes determine where your power is and basically how high the engine will rev. wen i feel it stop pulling i shift also.

i do the 6th gear prayer to sometimes. lol

X3 on the 6th gear prayer, i think works :notworthy:

What could happen in 6th gear pinned?

Also what do you guys do when you're racing a guy on the street? Do you guys start in 2nd? seems like i run out of gearing in first too quickly for it to be effective and my front end is up in the air.

I always start in 2nd gear when i race. But it's always on sand/dirt. I dont hold it WOT in 6th all that much, but when im racing or hauling ass ill do it...and i always silently think to myself "dont blow up, dont blow up, dont blow up" :headbang:

you guys all go with the "pin it to win it" routine in 6th huh?

shit i can't stand to hold mine wide open like that.....when i do get it up to the top of 6th i always religiously blip the shit outta the throttle.....the last thing i want is for it to lock up while im runnin it that hard..

Remember, evey time you lift off the gas....that just leans the motor down. Bliping on and off the gas at that speed is just cutting the amount of fuel you are sending in 1/2. WOT is dumping max fuel. If your jetted right it's fine. We have a guy in our group with a mild motor. (4 mill crank, vito's pistons, stock carbs and no port work with a set of Pro Circits his bike makes 45HP on our dyno...but the thing revs to 11,000! When he lifts, you get a hard lean POP. But he's had 40 HARD hour this year since spring and other than a flywheel comming loose....no problems. B) Ride it hard. That's how they like it! :headbang:

hey just wondering i have a 04 banshee and have some guy at work with a lt500 with a little over stock bore and basic bolt ons my bike is stock bore but ported and polishe and head is milled and timing is advanced jetted and piped what will it take to beat this guy

You'll beat him......

Like a drum :clap:

Remember, evey time you lift off the gas....that just leans the motor down. Bliping on and off the gas at that speed is just cutting the amount of fuel you are sending in 1/2. WOT is dumping max fuel. If your jetted right it's fine. We have a guy in our group with a mild motor. (4 mill crank, vito's pistons, stock carbs and no port work with a set of Pro Circits his bike makes 45HP on our dyno...but the thing revs to 11,000! When he lifts, you get a hard lean POP. But he's had 40 HARD hour this year since spring and other than a flywheel comming loose....no problems. B) Ride it hard. That's how they like it! :headbang:

i can see how that could happen....its natural habbit that causes me to do it......comin from riding sleds hard. sleds being held wide open = hole burn through your pistons because the oil injection systems cant keep up to the high R's. but seein as how we're mixin and not oil injecting.....i can see how a blip of the throttle could cause a quick lean sensantion to the 2-strokes.

i can see how that could happen....its natural habbit that causes me to do it......comin from riding sleds hard. sleds being held wide open = hole burn through your pistons because the oil injection systems cant keep up to the high R's. but seein as how we're mixin and not oil injecting.....i can see how a blip of the throttle could cause a quick lean sensantion to the 2-strokes.

well i thought i heard someone on here say if your going wot and if u keep pumping the gas it keeps the gas flowing other then just letting off the gas cause then its goes really lean i just want to know whats right cause i ride alot of wide open roads and stuff like taht when im flying

well i thought i heard someone on here say if your going wot and if u keep pumping the gas it keeps the gas flowing other then just letting off the gas cause then its goes really lean i just want to know whats right cause i ride alot of wide open roads and stuff like taht when im flying

Nope, that stops the fuel from being sucked into the airflow of the carb. It also takes a second for the flow to begin again.(Now what they should have really said was, once you let off on a high speed pass...pull in the clutch.) Whoever said that doesn't understand HOW a carb works. It might make sense if the fuel kept flowing and you were just cutting off air.....but there is this little thing called a needle attached to the slide....(yeah you can see where I'm going with this I'm sure) ...but for those who don't know, when the slide drops, it also drops that needle into the main jet and stops fuel flow.

So long debate short....NASCAR motors run WOT for the better part of 3 to 4+ hours. Your banshee, when jetted for it can run WOT for a damn long time too. (If you think it can't because it's a two stroke...then explain the Evinrude outboard boat motors. They are well know for running at WOT for a LONG time.)

So just jet for the conditions. (In your case a high speed run at WOT in whatever weather conditions you have.) Make your high speed runs and when you get it good and hot, with the bike in high gear and pulling hard, hit the kill switch and pull in the clutch and coast to a stop. Then pull your plugs and get a reading of what the motors doing at that RPM. Then jet for it. Think bout it this way...most Banshee owners start out with a machine that they ride in tight areas with changing speeds and it runs fine. Problem is...the first time you run across a turf farm - fire road - open field your motor burns down and they think it is because they were at WOT for so long. Nope. It's becasue they weren't jetted right in the first place. (Same with sleds. You don't burn holes in the center of pistons due to lack of oil. That's high speed detonation. Lack of oil takes out rings and scores cylinder walls)

Jetting can be a pain in the ass. (that's why everybody gets rid of the factory carbs as soon as they can, because aftermarket carbs are ALOT easier to work on.) But once you know how to read your plugs and jet correctly, you'll really see big improvements in your machine. (We've seen a 1 HP increase in a 1/2 turn airscrew adjustment!)

Edited by WINDYCITYJOHN400

Factory carbs arent that bad to work on. I and all the locals never had a problem.

I used to overrev the hell out of my bike. Usually missing a shift. Never hurt a thing. I used to also keep my bike held WOT for a long time. Worked fine till the day she blew.