10 mil CRANK

stroking

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's too bad...:)

I bought my crankworks crank used off ebay, put a TZ on it and ran it for three seasons, thousands of passes...nadda.

No issues.

I almost put another TZ on it and ran it again but I felt it deserved to retire with what I put it through.....

I've seen more billet cranks break than forged around here, and we have a lot of 10 mils.

That's too bad...:)

I bought my crankworks crank used off ebay, put a TZ on it and ran it for three seasons, thousands of passes...nadda.

No issues.

I almost put another TZ on it and ran it again but I felt it deserved to retire with what I put it through.....

I've seen more billet cranks break than forged around here, and we have a lot of 10 mils.

I hope this dont bite me in the ass, but I have a twister billet 10 mill crank that I have had for well over 6 years never been rebuilt. welds are in great shape and everything is still tight. I have it checked every year. Probably put around 300 or so 500ft pass's on it a year and some

here you go.....i didnt remove it yet but you can see whats going on here.......this is the 4TH time this year a vito 10mil has done this 3 times in a different motor and once in this one!

i was told the flywheel can cause this as well as over reving

IMG00443-20101116-1937-1.jpg

IMG00442-20101116-1937.jpg

IMG00443-20101116-1937.jpg

i guess vito's 10mil's are really no good

You know, I don't really wanna hear any bullshit about have these cranks fucking welded. Vito's claims they are trued and welded from them. I don't really think that I should have to pay $700+ for a crank just to turn around and have someone else weld on it. That's fucking BS. You can get the same forged crank from Crankworks for about the same money and I'm sure it comes fully welded or whatever. So what kind of welding is done on Vito's that is apparently not good enough?

http://www.vitosperformance.com/atv_parts/product.php?productid=11240&cat=200&page=1

The three I've seen at my bro's house were within .002.

They were true.

They were also welded sufficiently...

However, I run my shit hard and I replaced the stock bearing with a TZ...so welding it all the way around was no big deal.

Stroker has had all these cranks fail...by separating. In my opinion the factory welds on them are sufficient...and also in my opinion there is something else wrong with the motor and/or it's state of tune if it keeps happening.

Once on the same crank, maybe. More than that and on other cranks in other motors...I'm doubtful/skeptical at best.

The other cranks, in motors other than mine, are still running, running strong and trouble free. One in a twister the other in a K&T ported 10 mil cub.

Tyler, if he puts a crankworks crank in there and the same thing happens, you gonna come back here and say Vitos aren't junk?

(I already know the answer to that question...because you had them go bad on you...you're not)

My point...is the problem lies somewhere else.

Stroker, do you have an old or lightened flywheel by any chance? What kind of bearings? What kind and how old of a clutch basket?

(Please don't take any of this personal, I'm just trying to figure out the answer...I also have a Vito's crank as said...and it's fine)

Im wondering if the flywheel is bad. I run Vito's cranks for years with no problems. It just seems funny that the same thing keeps happening. Its gotta be somthing else.

When its running does the motor shake or vibrate?

This obviously isn't an uncommon problem. Seems like several people have no had issues with Vito's. The cases that the Vito's crank went in were the same ones that the Crankworks was in. The two Crankworks I had lasted 2 years a piece. The fucking Vito's lasted a week once and then a couple months the second time.

I just had a Crankworks 18mm crank in brand new Matton cases break all to shit. NO fucking time on that motor. I don't trust any crank honestly, but the Vito's seem to have quite a short life span.

You guys need to give twister cranks a try... They are more expensive, but usually in the banshee world you get what you pay for. Louie makes some very nice parts and stands behind them. Give him a try... If you have continual problems with the other ones, what do you have to lose? Just a thought. Here's my 10mil 125mm rod twister crank. Had about 2 years of dune riding and racing on it when I took these pics. Came out of a big block twister on methanol.

e0bc0e00.jpg

8d86b40d.jpg