10 mil CRANK

stroking

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a retarded monkey weld your crank? That weld job looks like hell. I'd ditch the cases all together and buy a new set.

Your springs in the transmission have to be equalized. Head over to planetsand and talk to Titan Racing, he can explain what all has to be done to those springs to get you set up right.

EDIT: Have you considered that maybe the pin and web are slightly different metals, which is why the weld isn't holding like it should. :confused:

Edited by BigRed350x

Welds look like shit, cases are hit...flywheel post is all fucked up...

Crank aint' the problem, although it might be fubar now.

Jared, PS is down right now or I'd get you a picture of one of our friends 10 mil cranks that snapped off at the web.

And that happened to two of our friends. They put forged in and no problems since.

New cases for sure, don't send that crank back to whomever welded it...I don't care if it was Vitos or not, and get a TZ bearing as said for the PTO side.

You might as well get straight cuts with all the problems you're having. Personally, I ran my 10 mil for 3 seasons and LOTS of passes without straight cuts on my TZ. Maybe I just got lucky....but I certainly didn't have the problems you're having.

I think a crank's life goes a lot towards proper setup and checkout of everything during assembly. Some people just slap everything together and call it good. I've run both billet chromoly and forged cranks and haven't had any issues with any of them. I haven't had any crank failures yet. (knock on wood)

With all the issues you've had with that vitos crank, I would junk it or sell it and start fresh with a new crank, new cases, and a new flywheel. Do like daj suggested and get some straight-cuts and a TZ bearing on the next crank. With all the failures and re-welding and jacked up bearings and everything I wouldn't trust that crank to be in spec ever again.

well its not my bike,i just built and repair them.

my friends boss has ran these vito 10mil and it came apart on him 3 times....the crank in this bike is only a few months old...so this makes 4 vito cranks that failed this years in two different motors.

the welds are how they came from VITO.

the owner of the bike bought a TDR 10mil this time,so i guess we'll see what happens....oh and i'm also changing flywheel,and getting a TZbearing

the top case is fine but the bottom wont let the half moon key go in the groove,so im changing the bottom half.

Your springs in the transmission have to be equalized.  Head over to planetsand and talk to Titan Racing, he can explain what all has to be done to those springs to get you set up right.

:confused:

can you tell me or do you have a pic ?

i dont use those springs anymore because of those marks on the forks,tranny seems to shift just fine without them,and had i built this motor i would not have put them in there.

My strong advice is to get a matched set of cases, upper and lower...or you could be repeating the problem.

They're machined as a set....and you've had enough issues that I'd want to eliminate as much as possible before firing the motor.

I live within 45 minutes of Vitos. I had three cranks delivered to my buddies house.

none of the three crank's welds look like the one in your pictures.

They all look clean and nicely done. Are you/your buddies buying them direct from Vitos?

can you tell me or do you have a pic ?

i dont use those springs anymore because of those marks on the forks,tranny seems to shift just fine without them,and had i built this motor i would not have put them in there.

I don't know the exact steps Titan takes on them, but I know you have to equalize the pressure on the springs and there are some clearance issues you have to check, as well as the back-cut on the gears that pops them out when the next gear is engaged. You need to get a hold of Tim at Titan and have him go over it with you. I've never had transmission issues like you're having.

My strong advice is to get a matched set of cases, upper and lower...or you could be repeating the problem.

They're machined as a set....and you've had enough issues that I'd want to eliminate as much as possible before firing the motor.

I live within 45 minutes of Vitos. I had three cranks delivered to my buddies house.

none of the three crank's welds look like the one in your pictures.

They all look clean and nicely done. Are you/your buddies buying them direct from Vitos?

I totally agree here, buy a completely new, matched set of cases and have them re-trenched/bored/port-matched. If that crank with those welds really did come from vitos I am very sorry to see what they are supplying. But seeing as daj has had multiple cranks come from them that didn't look like yours, I'd wager a guess your guy got the crank used from someone else, or tried to weld it up himself and just told you it was a vitos supplied crank. TDR cranks are made by crankworks if I remember correctly.

At least if the TDR crank fails in new cases we will know its something else that's screwed up!

If you're doing the assembly its your responsibility to check over everything else in the engine and make sure it isn't something else causing the problem. Something else out of balance somewhere, both cylinders firing correctly and jetted correctly, transmission bearings, clutch basket bushings, etc etc. At 9-10k rpm it doesn't take much for a few thousands of clearance to become a massive wobble and grenade parts.

Edited by BigRed350x

TDR has a cheap and expensive 10 mil.

The cheaper one looks like the one everyone is carrying, and it's CHEAP...less than 500 for a 10 mil crank.

The other, which I think is like 800...is what looks to be a crank works crank.

Just out of curiousity what do the pistons and domes look like. I have seen a couple cranks bearings do that from massive detonation.

And I am one of the other guys with a Vitos crank that Dave speaks of. No problems whatsoever!!!!!!

i just got more info on the crank.....this crank came from vito BRANDNEW it came apart and was sent BACK to VITO ... fixed and sent back weld just like you see here...so this is the second time this crank came apart,first time was in a different motor

i doubt the cases have anything to do with it being that this has happen in different cases with different flywheels.

i took the crank to a local machine shop and he said the pin is a much hard metal than the webs and thats why the welds are not holding