stubburn flywheel

well guys trying to get fltwheel off to put different tranny gears in,flywheel puller tore up threads in the flywheel,tried heat,but dont want to use alot,affraid of missing up the crank,we tried welding puller to the outside of the flywheel,but its a different type of metal and wont hold,tried hitting with hammer"the puller" and it just pulls out,and tried a 3 jaw puller and still wont budge,never seen one so stubburn,I have a new wiseco 4mil long rod crank and I dont want to tear it up'flywheel is already trashed,so I'll find a good used one somewhere,I just need to get this thing off and trying not to mess up the stator to. So does anybody ever have this problem and have a solution to it,would really aperciate any info, Thanksbanghead.gif

well guys trying to get fltwheel off to put different tranny gears in,flywheel puller tore up threads in the flywheel,tried heat,but dont want to use alot,affraid of missing up the crank,we tried welding puller to the outside of the flywheel,but its a different type of metal and wont hold,tried hitting with hammer"the puller" and it just pulls out,and tried a 3 jaw puller and still wont budge,never seen one so stubburn,I have a new wiseco 4mil long rod crank and I dont want to tear it up'flywheel is already trashed,so I'll find a good used one somewhere,I just need to get this thing off and trying not to mess up the stator to. So does anybody ever have this problem and have a solution to it,would really aperciate any info, Thanksbanghead.gif

just went through the same thing. get a two jaw puller and get an air pressure impact and impact it on and it has to come off. coat it with the penetrating lube first and let it set for a while to ease it off. hope this helps, they are a pain!

A bud just went thru the same thing, ruined his crank finally after welding a puller to the flywheel and using a grade 8 bolt in the puller. It bent over the end of the crank and the bolt rather than come off. His key and flywheel wobbled a new groove slightly and was sort of turning in the groove and holding it solid. If it were me i'd cut the flywheel off if i had to before ruining the crank. My guess on his was his flywheel wasnt on quite right.

try to retap the threads and give it another try. Cutting those off is no fun task. usually damages the stator too. Also try an impact gun and drive it in a hair. But be carefull not to go to tight and damge the crank threads. This is also hard on bearings. The problem is the damn woodruff key gets mauled up and gets jammed in the crank groove. Good luck!

I have heard of people using an air hammer on the center of the crank snout. the vibrations break the flywheel free. I would also soak it with some PB Blaster for a few hours. (I have heated the part up and sprayed the penetrating lube on while hot to seep in. I heard candle wax will do the same.

Good luck.

I have heard of people using an air hammer on the center of the crank snout. the vibrations break the flywheel free. I would also soak it with some PB Blaster for a few hours. (I have heated the part up and sprayed the penetrating lube on while hot to seep in. I heard candle wax will do the same.

Good luck.

Hey guys,thanks for all the advice,we took a thick washer,that had the same inside diameter as the puller was and out side diameter was big enough to hit all the steal rivets and welded all of them,and used an impact,but it just broke the welds,lol So then we grinded all the rivets down,beat them through the plate to free the magneto from the collar/plate so we could get a three jawed puller inbetween the magneto and the plate and used and 1/2 impact on it and it finaly came off and sounded like a shot gun blast,the flywheel is wasted,but I saved the stator and the crank end,so I'm happy,next time I'll put a little anti-sieze on it,the key wasnt messed up it was brand new and so is the crank,I'm thinking the wiseco crank has a little bigger tapper on it and thats why it was so tight,I've had that flywheel off a dozen times and never had a problem and that was on a stock hot rod crank,but this wiseco was something else,man what a freaky ordeal,well like I said'thanks for the Ideals again guys and when all else fail,grind the rivets and do what I did,you'll save everything but the flywheel,but if your that far in it,it's wasted already.beer.gif

What puller did you have? I have welded the puller several times to flywheels without a problem with mig

I had the banshee flywheel puller that threads into the flywheel,this was one stubburn flywheel,lol it would just pull it self away from the crank,tried two different styles of banshee flywheel puller,it would rip out the threads and break the welds,never seen one so hard to get off,it had a hell of a bang when she decided to come free.

I had the banshee flywheel puller that threads into the flywheel,this was one stubburn flywheel,lol it would just pull it self away from the crank,tried two different styles of banshee flywheel puller,it would rip out the threads and break the welds,never seen one so hard to get off,it had a hell of a bang when she decided to come free.

What i mean was why didnt the welding thing work?

What i mean was why didnt the welding thing work?

welds keep pulling the metal from the outside plate,like its was some kind of pot metal,so we tried the thick washer welded to the puller and then to the steel rivits,but they would break lose but the weld connecting to the puller to the washer held,the weld to the rivits didnt hold.so when tightening the puller up,it would bend the the washer,then break the welds on the rivits.

I had the same thing happen to mine too I used a 3 jaw puller and it pulled flywheel damn near inside out. I ended up just splitting the cases with the flywheel and stator still on the crank. I ended up buying another crank and luckily my friend had a spare flywheel and stator laying around. Think I might go down there and break it loose now thinking of it. Probally be good to bust it loose every so often so it wont happen again. Ive had 1983 3 wheeler that sat outside forever and road hard thru salt water and they were never this hard to take off.

anti-seize is a bad idea. you'll likely end up cleaning the mess it makes off after it comes loose, to and installing it dry, and probably repairing some damage, after getting towed back from the short ride. just install it dry. next time, crank up the heat, and the gas when you weld it on, and weld the flywheel, letting the puddle just pull into the puller. sap it off asap. the trick is to try to have the flywheel hot, with the crank as cold as possible. sometimes some shock is needed to make it pop, but usually heat will make it go. an oxy torch would be best, since it will make the flywheel hot the quickest, but the heat from welding will also do real good.

Same thing happened to me. Tried heat, puller, everything on the flywheel, wouldn't budge. Finally split the cases and took the crank stator and flywheel out. Carefully cut the flywheel in a half to remove it. In the process of pushing and pulling the flywheel I twisted off the threaded end of a brand new crank. Chucked the crank in a lathe with a live center and bored into it and tapped threads for the threads of a hardened bolt. Green lock tight on the bolt and I had my new crank ready for install. Only ruined the flywheel. Sometimes they can be a real pain in the ass. I think they get fussed to the crank from an electrical charge. I am gonna try blue locktight between the crank and the flywheel to insulate it next time. Anybody have any other ideas?

SP