confusion on a 4 mil setup

Josh Z

The plates have nothing to do with the rod length.. The plates are to accomadate the stroke. a 4mil with 110 rods will use a 513 piston and you can either use a plate.. OR.. have it ported AND use special cut domes for the added stroke.

The pistons (795 and 573) are for the rods.. The 573 are used in big bore long rod applications..

OK! the 795 does have to do with the rod lenth. it gets the port timing as close as possible by moving the center pin up 5-7mm(Icant remember the exact distance). Also I understand what the plate does. It is the correct space needed for the stroke to match port timing. without it you port the cylinders to get the correct port timing. I'm running (rebuilding) a 4 mil with blaster pistons. That is most of my knowledge. Also many people that I have delt with say the 795 has the same pin location as the blaster(i know the domes are different) but is the piston ports the same? I'm under the impression they are. I have no knowledge of the 513 pistons. I assume they are a 2 or 4 mm offset pin is all.

OK! the 795 does have to do with the rod lenth. it gets the port timing as close as possible by moving the center pin up 5-7mm(Icant remember the exact distance). Also I understand what the plate does. It is the correct space needed for the stroke to match port timing. without it you port the cylinders to get the correct port timing. I'm running (rebuilding) a 4 mil with blaster pistons. That is most of my knowledge. Also many people that I have delt with say the 795 has the same pin location as the blaster(i know the domes are different) but is the piston ports the same? I'm under the impression they are. I have no knowledge of the 513 pistons. I assume they are a 2 or 4 mm offset pin is all.

yes.. windows in the piston are about the same. a 513 is standard wiseco banshee piston..

The plates have nothing to do with making the port timing correct for a 4mil,they are for head clearance. using a spacer will raise your ports,but the main part pf porting for a 4mil is to lower the ports so when your piston is bdc the transfers floors are with the top of the piston.

And you dont have to have your head rechamberd if you use banshee pistons with a spacer.

The pistons have nothing to do with making the port timing correct for a 4mil,they are for head clearance. using a spacer will raise your ports,but the main part pf porting for a 4mil is to lower the ports so when your piston is bdc the transfers floors are with the top of the piston.

And you dont have to have your head rechamberd if you use banshee pistons with a spacer.

Burt.. I think you had a typo bud.. I fixed it for ya. I had to read it a few times. lol I was sittin here scratching my head. then I realized what you were gettin at..

The plates have nothing to do with making the port timing correct for a 4mil,they are for head clearance. using a spacer will raise your ports,but the main part pf porting for a 4mil is to lower the ports so when your piston is bdc the transfers floors are with the top of the piston.

actually the plate is for port timing and head clearance. Head clearance is a free bee while port timing is the critical item to getting a 4 mil to run correctly. Its pretty obvious you would need head clearance when adding over a 1/4(7mm) inch to the top of your piston with a longrod 4 mil.

The same goes for the 795 or blaster piston. its for port timing and head clearance, not just head clearance.

Then again I think this is apples and oranges.

I also agree that when running a plate no head work is required. I may have said that in a previous post but it is not required with the plate and stock pistons however is required if having cylinders ported and not running a plate or going with a blaster piston. I highly do not reccomend a motor with a stroker plate at all.

Edited by Roccdeezy

The guy earlier said that the spacer was to fix port timing when using a stroker. I stated that the spacer plate raises the port roofs and floors,but it doesnt do all thats necesary.

When people say "it needs ported for a 4mm crank" The main idea is to lower the port floors,because the floors need to be the same height as the piston edge at bdc.

BTW i dont like spacer plate motors either,You can get a noss head w/ custom stroker domes for under 200

i agree with you,i just didnt want the first guy thinking that a spacer plate does all the port timing thats needed

oohh, geez...........you are reading too far in to some things and pulling this info out of your ass....... i think you need to become acquainted with the search feature for a bit.....oh, and don't really listen to much bs you are gonna see with slorider. anyway......with a long rod, you run long rod pistons, and the assembled height is exactly the same as a standard rod with standard pistons..plain and simple. now, the stroker of coarse moves the pin out 2mm, so you have that much more travel in all directions. now the spacer plate, is, in fact, solely intended to give you 1.5mm(+extra base gasket thickness)more head clearance. nothing else. just a way for the average broke joe to run a stroker without all the work. moving all ports up is strictly a byproduct of this. on a side note- the plate is only about $30, not 100..... anyways, with the increased stroke, the problem with porting is more than just blockage, but a short-circuited blow-down, to say the least. well, i'm about to be late for work....gotta go

if a piston falls below the tranfers at BDC what will that do ?

does it have to fall in line with the tranfers to run correctly ?

i installed a 10mil in vito cylinders awhile back and the pistons went (about) 4mm below the tranfer windows.......and they were 10mil cylinders according to vito.

if a piston falls below the tranfers at BDC what will that do ?

does it have to fall in line with the tranfers to run correctly ?

i installed a 10mil in vito cylinders awhile back and the pistons went (about) 4mm below the tranfer windows.......and they were 10mil cylinders according to vito.

Its probably fine since vito's designed it. There is probably room for porting on those cylinders. I'm not a big expert on transfers. But if you're dropping below them then your probably getting more fuel up top because of the extra up and down time of the piston. If they where blocking them then it would be an issue.

Deja Vu. Been a while since one of these threads has popped up. This ones a little different. What effect does rod length have on port duration?

You would get slightly increased durations with a long rod since the piston would move away slower from tdc and bdc (increased dwell time). But it wouldn't be anything significant.

I was off of the HQ for a while, and once I came back I noticed there was a lot of new names I hadnt seen before, this isnt a bad thing, but I noticed along with it there has been a lot of BS since Ive came back to the site.... As far as the 4mil. thing, instead of trying to sort through the BS, just call Brandon at Wildcard, Jeff at F.A.S.T. or Kevin at Herr Juggs and ask them what you need to know.