confusion on a 4 mil setup

Josh Z

Its probably fine since vito's designed it. There is probably room for porting on those cylinders. I'm not a big expert on transfers. But if you're dropping below them then your probably getting more fuel up top because of the extra up and down time of the piston. If they where blocking them then it would be an issue.

ok ... i was thinking that theres a power difference sense most say that you have to get the tranfers lowered 2mm if you install a 4mil crank...bec ause as we know the piston will go below the tranfers if you dont

ok ... i was thinking that theres a power difference sense most say that you have to get the tranfers lowered 2mm if you install a 4mil crank...bec ause as we know the piston will go below the transfers if you don't

as i mentioned, the piston falling below the ports is not as big as getting the correct port timing. blow-down is the time between exhaust opening, and transfer opening, basically. with the increased stroke, it's significantly decreased, which is not good. about the short-rod, vs. long rod- the dwell time changes a little, and adversely all port timing, slightly, as mentioned, but what is not mentioned is the balance factor. the 110 rods also match closer to a balanced crank, since there is not enough meat in the webbing to balance a long rod, without drilling it and installing high density plugs. so, unless you spend the big bucks on a nice crank that has the plugs, then the short rod is going to rev quicker, and higher. the long rod, on the other hand, has increased dwell time, which propagates a more complete burn cycle and, subsequently more torque. speaking of torque, that is exactly what increasing stroke does- add torque. to say that you stroke to get topend, or just for drag-type buil is a strait fallacy. if you want more topend hp, you bore, if you want torque, you stroke. basic bore:stroke principal. so, you want something to lug around, you can go 10 mill, 18 mill, whatever you want to spend, but usually just 4 mill for us trail/woods kinda guys. what it all comes down to is how you want to set it up, and how much you are willin to spend. the reason you are seeing the huge strokers in the drag scene is because those guys are spending whatever they can to simply go as fast as possible, and usually have deep pockets to throw gobbs of $$$ at the motor. once you get 4mill in the trails, you really can't do much with it without spending a lot on suspension, etc, or the power just goes to waste spinning out and putting around near idle.

so, lets put this thing back to simple, if possible in this thread.......

4mill stroker= piston moves an extra 2mm in all directions. the head has to have the extra clearance to even turn over. you can do this with a spacer plate above, or blow the cylinders, or more preferably/reliable, but recessing the chambers. the plate under the cylinders will change the port timing significantly, but correct nothing about it. to make the stroker run good, you need to port the cylinders so the all match timing with each-other. one part of the porting process is to match the bottom of the ports with the piston at bdc, for better flow, but it is NOT the reason for porting. there are 2 different rod lengths you can run stock 110mm rods, which use stock pistons, and long (115mm) rod, which needs long rod pistons. coincidentally, the blaster piston has the same crown to pin distance as a long rod piston, but requires a bigger bore, and different chamber design to run...........

.........the stroker basics in a nutshell.....period.

oh, and if i was your builder, I'd smack you silly for your bs. it's pretty evident, that he explained a couple things to you and you just assumed and made up the rest to how it works in your head, now you are trying to pass it off as fact.... :flush: a little research into the subject does wonders :clap:

to make the stroker run good, you need to port the cylinders so the all match timing with each-other. one part of the porting process is to match the bottom of the ports with the piston at bdc, for better flow, but it is NOT the reason for porting. there are 2 different rod lengths you can run stock 110mm rods, which use stock pistons, and long (115mm) rod, which needs long rod pistons. coincidentally, the blaster piston has the same crown to pin distance as a long rod piston, but requires a bigger bore, and different chamber design to run...........

.........the stroker basics in a nutshell.....period.

i just mean that, althoutgh it is kind of an important part of the stroker porting, getting the timing corrected is the biggest thing...,.

Thanks for straightening this topic out Heath. I figured you or Fouledout would do it. I just got tired of seeing him contradict everything we tried to tell him. Too much on my mind laltely and not a lot of patience haha. Good to see some of the old names around though

haha, it does take a little bit of time, patience and energy sometimes, lol.........good to see you back on mike.

Haha yeah it does. Thanks, I been pretty busy for a while, but I finally got back to working on the shee and messing aroung on the HQ. In fact Ill have the 4mil completely done in the next week or two and am hoping by December Ill have all the other parts to where Ill only have some cosmetic things like plastics to paint and seat cover left to do, realistically probably more like mid january though