Cutting out right cylinder at WOT

speciald215

I'm sure that this topic has been covered but I have been unsuccessful in finding information that helps me. I finally got the midrange bog out of my shee and noticed that when I really open it up the right cylinder cuts out, it will kick back in when the rpms come down to about the mid-range. I have torn the carbs apart time after time chasing this problem with no results. I began to think that it may be the crank seals but I am not getting the excessive smoke that is associated with burning oil. I have also tried switching the coil wires and it remains the same. Any suggestions will help.

Edited by speciald215

Almost sounds like a stator issue to me. What brand is it and have you testing it yet and everything else electrical also?

Check the reeds for cracks chips or sitting off the cages?

Do a pressure test yet?

Slides in the proper side of the carbs?

Just throwing some ideas out there.

I'm sure that the stator is fine because the problem stayed on the right side even after switching the coil wires. As far as leak-down, I have not tried one yet but that may be my best bet as the plug always is much blacker that the left cylinder, which is running fine. But if I had bad crank seals wouldn't I be getting more smoke out of the one side. I will go ahead and take the resistences on my stator anyway because that won't take much time.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure that the stator is fine because the problem stayed on the right side even after switching the coil wires. As far as leak-down, I have not tried one yet but that may be my best bet as the plug always is much blacker that the left cylinder, which is running fine. But if I had bad crank seals wouldn't I be getting more smoke out of the one side. I will go ahead and take the resistences on my stator anyway because that won't take much time.

sounds like a fuel or electrical problem. Either reeds or carbs on the fuel side as long as the motor has good compression and n leaks. On the electrical side it could be the pickup coil clearance is wrong or one of the magneto tits is scarred. I've seen cdi's fail at really high rpm but thats usually on fully built banshee's.

• 4 months later...