SPILTING CASES PROBLEMS!

lt1maro

hows it going im trying to spilt the cases on my motor and i cant get them apart i have the whole right and left side off and all the bolts on the top out and all the nuts on the bottom out. i didnt not take them out in sequence because i didnt know about that until afterward but could that really hold them together is my question. also i know there is silicone between the two but i have been beating on the damn thing with a deadblow and getting no where besides a 1/16 of and inch gap in the front. if anyone could give me any advice of what im doing wrong or anything like that it would be greatly appreicated.

Hard to read your post with the lack of punctuation and I am not going to read again to cipher through it. If you haven't pulled the flywheel and stator plate then do so because the stator plate is connected to both upper and lower case halves. Also phelps (I think) mentioned the bearing retainer behind the clutch basket also bolted to both halves. I don't install the since the bearing has a keeper and is trapped in position so I don't have to disassemble the clutch assembly to split the cases.

Not removing the bolts in order has absolutely nothing to do with them coming apart. That is simply for reassembly.

Careful with a hammer, dead blow or not. I have seen many case damaged from beating on them.

SP

hows it going I'm trying to spilt the cases on my motor and i cant get them apart i have the whole right and left side off and all the bolts on the top out and all the nuts on the bottom out. i didn't not take them out in sequence because i didn't know about that until afterward but could that really hold them together is my question. also i know there is silicone between the two but i have been beating on the damn thing with a dead blow and getting no where besides a 1/16 of and inch gap in the front. if anyone could give me any advice of what I'm doing wrong or anything like that it would be greatly appreciated.

you must remove the plate cover behind the clutch it holds the cases and bearing together. it will snap in half if you don't.

Hard to read your post with the lack of punctuation and I am not going to read again to cipher through it. If you haven't pulled the flywheel and stator plate then do so because the stator plate is connected to both upper and lower case halves. Also phelps (I think) mentioned the bearing retainer behind the clutch basket also bolted to both halves. I don't install the since the bearing has a keeper and is trapped in position so I don't have to disassemble the clutch assembly to split the cases.

Not removing the bolts in order has absolutely nothing to do with them coming apart. That is simply for reassembly.

Careful with a hammer, dead blow or not. I have seen many case damaged from beating on them.

SP

So you don't install the bearing retainer behind the clutch that connects the top and bottom cases together? You have had no problems this way? That definately would save some time when splitting the cases. Thanks for the idea.

Whatever you do don't pry at the mating surface. It's not silicon , it's Yamabond ,threebond or simular, silicon is a no-no . Double check that ALL bolts and nuts are off , brg retainer on clutch side ,stator is off. Try holding by mount and smak clutchshaft and output. They can be a PIA , just keep at it. Seems to me ther was one spot I pried and smaked at same time. Your results may vary ,jmo.

So you don't install the bearing retainer behind the clutch that connects the top and bottom cases together? You have had no problems this way? That definately would save some time when splitting the cases. Thanks for the idea.

No I don't use this clip and neither do several of my buddies. The bearing has a clip around it and cannot move. You can pry carefully at the back of the case and at the front. The back surface is very wide and there are two sealing surfaces at the front. But you have to be very careful not to mark the surface. I usually run around the entire perimeter with a sharp utility knife to break the bond.

Hitting it with a hammer is dangerous because all of the places with good access are also good places for the case to break.

SP

I would definetely NOT leave out the plates behind the clutch basket. One of them is designed with a cavity in it to collect and direct oil onto one of the tranny bearingsand the gears under the clutch cover. It needs to be in there to get maximum life from your bearings and gears.

I would definetely NOT leave out the plates behind the clutch basket. One of them is designed with a cavity in it to collect and direct oil onto one of the tranny bearingsand the gears under the clutch cover. It needs to be in there to get maximum life from your bearings and gears.

Absolutely don't leave that out. But that is attached only to the upper half. We are talking about the bearing retainer only.

SP

Absolutely don't leave that out. But that is attached only to the upper half. We are talking about the bearing retainer only.

SP

bearing retainer for the trans pimary shaft is connected to the upper and lower case halves and the oil catch is only connected to the upper half,you dont have to remove the oil catch,if you try to split the case without removing the bearing retainer,you'll break the retainer and thier about 7 dollars from yamaha.

bearing retainer for the trans pimary shaft is connected to the upper and lower case halves and the oil catch is only connected to the upper half,you dont have to remove the oil catch,if you try to split the case without removing the bearing retainer,you'll break the retainer and thier about 7 dollars from yamaha.

I bet the cast cases will break before the stamped steel bearing retainer.

I bet the cast cases will break before the stamped steel bearing retainer.

No. The case are stronger do to the mass in that area. The first time I forgot about this retainer I broke it with no damage to the cases. The retainer is only about 3mm wide in the middle. Nobody around here uses it. Never been an issue.

SP

don't need bearing retainer i'll bet you missed a bolt somewhere maybe behind the rear motor mount