Big problem! Busted by cops in NYC. Need advice!

All of the things you mentioned would be after the fact and thus pointless.

Actually you are wrong. A ticket for insurance is less if you get insurance by the time you get to court. Same goes for registration. Here in AZ the fine for both reg and ins, is 400.00 if you don't get it and 50.00 if you do. You can contact the court or an attorney. Been there, done that.

Edited by sandtazam

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually you are wrong. A ticket for insurance is less if you get insurance by the time you get to court. Same goes for registration. Here in AZ the fine for both reg and ins, is 400.00 if you don't get it and 50.00 if you do. You can contact the court or an attorney. Been there, done that.

Does that apply in Staten Island?

Also found a link for atv rules and regs. in NY

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c29.htm

I don't want to piss on your parade, but do you honestly think a judge is going to just throw them all out because he didn't pull you over? You admitted to the officer that you were riding the bike, and that you hit the vehicle. What halfway sane judge wouldn't take that as an admission of guilt? We nail hit-n-run suspects all the time, at their home, days later. There is nothing here that is any different. Whether you showed back up and were a man about it, the fact of the matter is, you initially lied to the officer about it. You're lucky that charge didn't get thrown on there as well. For $450 bucks, I would save yourself the embarrassment in court, and just pay the fines and move on. Again... not trying to be an ass, but I don't see how you could possibly believe that you're not guilty? Based on a technicality? If you wanted to take it to trial, I suppose you might get ONE juror who is on your side, but when it's you, the cop, and the judge, you will never win. The cop is going to say "yeah, I questioned him at his house, his quad was sitting right there, he lied to me, and then showed up 15 minutes later admitting he did it".

You are correct that hearsay is not admissible in court, however an admission to an LEO is admissible in court. You're not going to win a hit and run case. That's a felony around here. I wouldn't run the risk of the judge upping the fines in that courtroom, and just pay the $450 and be done with it...

Yes absolutely. I think a judge is going to throw out the no reg, no lic, and no insurance tickets which ill have with me present. A cop cant just walk up to someone without pulling him over, or asking for theses things and jsut deciding to throw tickets around like they where party invitations. SORRY!!!! This is a case easily won. As i have won others inthe past.. On that occasion a cop wrote me out a ticket on a registration i gave hi for a mitsubishi galant, when i was really drving a Honda. The look on the cop when the jjuudge threw it out........ PRICELESSS!!!!!!

Ahh... that piece of information would have been helpful with my first post. If you have all the right documents, like registration, insurance and a drivers license, i would defiantly go to court and fight the tickets. In this instance, it's like someone said earlier, it's probably just so that there is a police report on record.

Oh im going . I think i have a good to 100% chace here. You cant just throw tickets at someone without asking to se those items you ticketing him for (which i have all three and will be bringing them in).. Ill keep u guys informed!!

Thanks again, Al

exactly, the bike was on your property, you can do what ever you want on your property, even ride naked, they should give a shit, they dont have proof that you actually rode that bike on the street. I mean words mean nothing, tell em i want to see some vids or pictures proving i was on the street with this quad or something

hahah ya that is total bullshit them tickets so i have proby a dumb qustion u know how u have to have insurance on your car now idk if is just for were i live or the untited states but up here u have to have car insurance and proof of it

now do u have to on a quad or is it just if u want to???? not ot jack the thread

and elka im 16 lol going to be 17

Yes absolutely. I think a judge is going to throw out the no reg, no lic, and no insurance tickets which ill have with me present. A cop cant just walk up to someone without pulling him over, or asking for theses things and jsut deciding to throw tickets around like they where party invitations. SORRY!!!! This is a case easily won. As i have won others inthe past.. On that occasion a cop wrote me out a ticket on a registration i gave hi for a mitsubishi galant, when i was really drving a Honda. The look on the cop when the jjuudge threw it out........ PRICELESSS!!!!!!

Oh im going . I think i have a good to 100% chace here. You cant just throw tickets at someone without asking to se those items you ticketing him for (which i have all three and will be bringing them in).. Ill keep u guys informed!!

Thanks again, Al

You stated that you own the ATV = proof of ownership Stating you were iding it and crashed = operation of ATv which = issuance of tickets........

The car is parked ona roadway.,.,..proving your ATV was on the roadway......operating a Motor vehicle on a roadway requires lic, reg and insurance.....

Admit you made a poor decision and got caught......just another reason for people to be mad at ATV riders if u ask me

Yes absolutely. I think a judge is going to throw out the no reg, no lic, and no insurance tickets which ill have with me present.

Oh, well if you have street legal registration, insurance, and a valid driver's license, why didn't you advise the officer of that at the time he was writing the tickets?

A cop cant just walk up to someone without pulling him over, or asking for theses things and jsut deciding to throw tickets around like they where party invitations. SORRY!!!!

You're forgetting your own story... YOU walked up to HIM, after you lied to him. After which, you proceeded to admit to everything.

This is a case easily won. As i have won others inthe past.. On that occasion a cop wrote me out a ticket on a registration i gave hi for a mitsubishi galant, when i was really drving a Honda. The look on the cop when the jjuudge threw it out........ PRICELESSS!!!!!!

You really went to court over a $10 fix-it ticket? If you showed up with valid registration, you're not winning the case; You're complying with the law... LOL. I also find it hard to believe that the officer was shocked. I'd hardly blink over a registration ticket. :rotflmao:

So you're saying the officer never asked you for your identification? I think what you're failing to realize, is he did not write the ticket for no OFF ROAD registration. It was because you were operating a vehicle on a public road, with no valid motor vehicle registration. Also, if you had insurance on the ATV at the time, why wouldn't you give that information to the person who's truck you hit? You do know that if you show up to court, and show proof of insurance at the time of the incident, the judge will question the fact that you never informed anyone you had insurance on the ATV.

Just take this as a learning experience. And next time your thinking of doing wheelies down the road remember this and go somewhere else to play. I know that I've a quad a very long time and it still pisses me off to see some dumb ass flying up the road. I'll admit to being guilty of riding mine on the street in my hood to get to the woods, but I putt down the road and pull over and stop when a car approaches. You have to remember your not allowed to be there by law so why push it.

I live in long island a very similar community,my quad has seen dirt once,I ride on the street daily !These cops out here are looking to fuck us every chance they get.They have tried ti hit,knock us off machines in the past when stopping for them.Its no lie I hate cops,not all cops because i have family on the job but the ones that have become copified assholes due to there job!!!I dont know why I chimed in I think its cause I just hate nyc cops and feel for ya

since the cops are involved, i wouldnt pay the guy $1900 unless you just wana keep a neighbor happy cause im sure he has full coverage insurance and his deductable is probably $500, so he will be making money out of the deal. and even though you didnt have the insurance and registration on you when you talked to the pigs doesnt mean they can give u a ticket for it, they dont know if you had it while riding or not and even if they can prove you didnt have it on you when riding when you go to court and present it they usually lower the fines.

Edited by rideSAND

Oh your gonna pay like it or not. At first I felt a little sorry for you, But the more you argue the less sorry I feel. Bottom line is you hit the mans shit and split, You owe him for that and the judge will make sure you pay for it. And to all the people that says fuck the dude let his ins. take care of it. How the fuck would you feel if someone hit your shit and split, You all would be crying like little bitches and wanting to kill the fucker that did it. Would you just put that shit on your insurance or get the dumb fuck that did it. And if the culprit came and admitted it, do you think I would say well at least you admitted it so I'll pay for your mistake, FUCK NO. The only thing your going to get by fighting this is a big fat fine and maybe some points. If the cops find a dead body and you say you killed the dude I guess since the cops didnt see it they cant do shit what are you fucking crazy that is called a confession and you my friend confessed so you already admitted guilt in this case.

i feel for the car owner and i would have been hunting the neighborhood before the cops even got there, i only said not to pay the full 1900 cause i figured that he will probably turn it into insurance becuase i dont know about the car owner but i wouldnt have $1900 layin around to cover it until i got all the payments, so i was guessing he would turn it into insurance and in that case pay the deductable and some extra $ for the hassle. now if the car owner can cover it, im all for him payin that way and keepin the insurance out of it, its what i would want. also i would have thought the cops would write tickets like wreckless driving, failing to report, leaving the scene not a no insurance, no registration and no liscense as those are hard to prove since they didnt pull him over on the banshee and he has those things. but im not a cop, lawyer or judge and i wasnt there so i dont really know. but this is a good reminder to keep it on the dirt or areas with no cars.

Edited by rideSAND

i feel for the car owner and i would have been hunting the neighborhood before the cops even got there, i only said not to pay the full 1900 cause i figured that he will probably turn it into insurance becuase i dont know about the car owner but i wouldnt have $1900 layin around to cover it until i got all the payments, so i was guessing he would turn it into insurance and in that case pay the deductable and some extra $ for the hassle. now if the car owner can cover it, im all for him payin that way and keepin the insurance out of it, its what i would want. also i would have thought the cops would write tickets like wreckless driving, failing to report, leaving the scene not a no insurance, no registration and no liscense as those are hard to prove since they didnt pull him over on the banshee and he has those things. but im not a cop, lawyer or judge and i wasnt there so i dont really know. but this is a good reminder to keep it on the dirt or areas with no cars.

:huh:

I'm having trouble trying to translate what you said into decipherable English. Maybe someone can help?