Big problem! Busted by cops in NYC. Need advice!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

U did the right thing I would have been pissed off if it was my truck...........but u should have waited till after cops were gone no need to donate more ATV money to the cops they get plenty!!!!!!!!!!!...................im sure atleast half the people on this forum have gotten a ticket or two on ATVs. We are treated like shit cause we ride ATVs.........cost enough money as is for this sport!!!!

Let me start by saying bravo you did the right thing. It was totally your fault and you manned up, more people should do the same thing. As far as everyone that said you should have never went back just remember karma is a bitch. I'm sure that you gained some respect from the owner of the truck. How would you of felt if it was your shit and someone hit and rolled out like that. The only reason that 5.0 even gave you a ticket is so you couldnt at a later time say it wasn't me thats all, now the owner of the truck has proof a police report was probably filed. I would at least go to court and plead for a reduction on fines explain to the judge that you was scared and as soon as you got home you went right back and admitted everything, and if you get the man paid off before hand and he'll write a letter saying that the judge will most likely give you a PBJ instead of slamming you with everything that he possibly could. And again is nice to know that some people have a little guilt for what they do. You did the right thing just remember that.

:cheers: :cheers:

Let me start by saying bravo you did the right thing. It was totally your fault and you manned up, more people should do the same thing. As far as everyone that said you should have never went back just remember karma is a bitch. I'm sure that you gained some respect from the owner of the truck. How would you of felt if it was your shit and someone hit and rolled out like that. The only reason that 5.0 even gave you a ticket is so you couldnt at a later time say it wasn't me thats all, now the owner of the truck has proof a police report was probably filed. I would at least go to court and plead for a reduction on fines explain to the judge that you was scared and as soon as you got home you went right back and admitted everything, and if you get the man paid off before hand and he'll write a letter saying that the judge will most likely give you a PBJ instead of slamming you with everything that he possibly could. And again is nice to know that some people have a little guilt for what they do. You did the right thing just remember that.

:cheers: :cheers:

Alot of people said i was an ass for going bacck, especially sice i hwas home free and had totally gotten away with it. Only problem was that i didnthae time to think about it Its like if someone steps up to u in a bar. You either lay him out, or cchicken out ad=nd tur away. Its an instinct. For me it was this intstinct that got me into trouble,

I just dont agree with the tickets and will plead not guilty. They never pulled me over on any type of veicle and just gave me ticckets on worth of mouth without evven chekcing my licence, insurance, or registration. wich i plan on presenting in court.

Wish me the best and ill keeep yoiu guys posted!.

Thanks again. Great community, Al

Alot of people said i was an ass for going bacck, especially sice i hwas home free and had totally gotten away with it. Only problem was that i didnthae time to think about it Its like if someone steps up to u in a bar. You either lay him out, or cchicken out ad=nd tur away. Its an instinct. For me it was this intstinct that got me into trouble,

I just dont agree with the tickets and will plead not guilty. They never pulled me over on any type of veicle and just gave me ticckets on worth of mouth without evven chekcing my licence, insurance, or registration. wich i plan on presenting in court.

Wish me the best and ill keeep yoiu guys posted!.

Thanks again. Great community, Al

I don't want to piss on your parade, but do you honestly think a judge is going to just throw them all out because he didn't pull you over? You admitted to the officer that you were riding the bike, and that you hit the vehicle. What halfway sane judge wouldn't take that as an admission of guilt? We nail hit-n-run suspects all the time, at their home, days later. There is nothing here that is any different. Whether you showed back up and were a man about it, the fact of the matter is, you initially lied to the officer about it. You're lucky that charge didn't get thrown on there as well. For $450 bucks, I would save yourself the embarrassment in court, and just pay the fines and move on. Again... not trying to be an ass, but I don't see how you could possibly believe that you're not guilty? Based on a technicality? If you wanted to take it to trial, I suppose you might get ONE juror who is on your side, but when it's you, the cop, and the judge, you will never win. The cop is going to say "yeah, I questioned him at his house, his quad was sitting right there, he lied to me, and then showed up 15 minutes later admitting he did it".

You are correct that hearsay is not admissible in court, however an admission to an LEO is admissible in court. You're not going to win a hit and run case. That's a felony around here. I wouldn't run the risk of the judge upping the fines in that courtroom, and just pay the $450 and be done with it...

Ahh... that piece of information would have been helpful with my first post. If you have all the right documents, like registration, insurance and a drivers license, i would defiantly go to court and fight the tickets. In this instance, it's like someone said earlier, it's probably just so that there is a police report on record.

In your case it would be a leaving the scene not hit and run, you did return right after it happened. It would of been a hit and run if you would not of went back which is as Matt said a felony. But the fact that you admitted to being the one that did it and there is damage you will be found guilty if you go in there and try to fight it. Your best bet would be to either just pay it or go to court with an attorney and plead guilty and as long as your record is clean and pay the dude off the judge is most likely going to give you a PBJ. Unless you go in there and act like an ass or piss the judge off.

In your case it would be a leaving the scene not hit and run, you did return right after it happened. It would of been a hit and run if you would not of went back which is as Matt said a felony. But the fact that you admitted to being the one that did it and there is damage you will be found guilty if you go in there and try to fight it. Your best bet would be to either just pay it or go to court with an attorney and plead guilty and as long as your record is clean and pay the dude off the judge is most likely going to give you a PBJ. Unless you go in there and act like an ass or piss the judge off.

knowing NJ law....although it was a good thing u manned up...it takes a lot....go to court....they may merge a few instead of all 4 and getting hammered....its worth a shot for the court cost...if not ur still out the same money and u feel you gave it your all

You walked up to a cop and confessed. You're probably gonna get convicted on most of those tickets if you try the case. Just go in and talk to the prosecutor and see if you can merge them all into one. You're lucky you didn't get leaving the scene and failure to report, that's 2 more you would've gotten in NJ. You did the right thing, you just should've waited a few more minutes, or stopped when you did it and made arrangements with the guy on the spot.

You can question yourself all day about how you should have done this or that but it is what it is just pay the tickets and move on, it's not worth the time and effort i.m.o The pain in your wallet will be a great reminder for a long time of what not to do. Every time i have got a bs ticket i just reflect back on times when I should have received one but did not and consider it a wash. No matter what anyone says you did the right thing by maning up and going back.

I would contact your local Insurance company and get liability insurance before court. Then contact DMV and see if you can get any kind of regestration what so ever. If you lived here in AZ you could get plates. I would plead not guilty. The officer will have to appear in court. If he doesn't, the case will probably be dropped.

I would contact your local Insurance company and get liability insurance before court. Then contact DMV and see if you can get any kind of regestration what so ever. If you lived here in AZ you could get plates. I would plead not guilty. The officer will have to appear in court. If he doesn't, the case will probably be dropped.

All of the things you mentioned would be after the fact and thus pointless.

Plead guilty because you ARE. Perhaps if you would of went tell the owner right away, the cops could of been avoided as well as the tickets. This you will never know.

You did the right thing by admitting it's your fault because it was.

It takes a real piece of walking shit to hit and run. A lot of people work DAMN hard to have vehicles and to have someone say "should of kept running" is downright pathetic. If someone does that to me, i still gotta pay my deductible which cost ME money. I already support millions of people who sit on their front porch all day drinking 40's by paying for their foodstamps and other crap from my taxes. It's hard to make ends meet sometimes and i wouldnt want some moron on a quad ruining my day unless that moron is me.

We here all hate when people steal banshees and/or bikes in general. Same goes for banshee parts. Well if you hit and run, it's just like stealing since it cost the owner money to fix it.

I dont see a judge throwing out tickets for something you did. Here we go to jail and get fined thousands for doing over 100mph on the highway. Ask me how i know. If you have to go infront of a judge, whatever his sentence is just make damn sure you understand it COULD of been worse.

Edited by RagunCajun