need a general idea for setup

mAdHaTTer2392

hey, what up everyone?

i want to know what everyone is doing with their engine for a flat track setup. should i get a big bore? or keep it stock? i realy dont know much about engines (hence the reason i am buying a banshee to rebuild it.) so any tips would be good. i have been reading around and i see that the -2 swingarm is the hot setup. but what about gearing? and i have been reading that some get an r6 shock, and blaster or 300ex shocks. but is there anyhting else thats better than this? and what about a arms? +1? +2? whats the good setup for that? the first thing i am worried about rite now is getting the motor work done. its my winter project so i got some time for everything else. i just realy need to know what pistons, cylinder head (if i need it) i just need to know what is the best thing for a full top end rebuild. (bottom end too if theres a good setup)

pretty much tell me the "dream" banshee setup and i will build it :drool:

(this guy is funny lol :bolt:

thanks a lot for all the help in advance!

HP and TQ are always good in racing. Gearing will depend on the track. You will probably want to grab a set of flat track tires like Hoosiers or American Racing. I'd go with +2 arms. Get your ride to sit lower too. A swaybar will help with body roll, but I wouldn't buy one of those unless you are serious about racing.

HP and TQ are always good in racing. Gearing will depend on the track. You will probably want to grab a set of flat track tires like Hoosiers or American Racing. I'd go with +2 arms. Get your ride to sit lower too. A swaybar will help with body roll, but I wouldn't buy one of those unless you are serious about racing.

im not too serious about it as of right now. since i race motocross i just really want to rebuild it. i just think flat track banshees are badass looking! we have a flat track here in ny and they race every saturday so id be racing there. i will get the swaybar.

i was on the trinity website and it looks like they have some insane stuff for banshees! i saw that they got a pro tt kit which looks nice and comes with everything i need for a top end rebuild. has anyone bought this? if so around how much was it?

It shuldnt take much to make your MX bike setup for flattrack.

First off find out what the limit is,Some tracks are 50" some 52, and some 48" This will tell you how wide of a-arms you want to get. Get your a-arm/ rim combo to put you right at that limit.

The problem with the banshee is most the stuff is setup for drag racing, which IMO its not a real good setup to run a drag engine for a flattrack bike. You want a mid/top end power with a ton of overrev. Well at least thats what i like. I like having a ton of overrev, That way at the end of a straight, i dont nesissarly have to shift. Just let it rev and rev some more.

As for the shocks, You would be much better off wiht a good set of PEP, or Axis shocks over 300ex or something of that sort. Those are just a cheap easy GET-R-DONE way. It works but isnt ideal. I personally have PEP tripple rates that i can adjust to any height i want.

As for gearing, I personally run 17-39 This is on a stock bore/stroke shee, dynoed at 59hp. For the engine work, Just find a good builder that can build a enigne that suits you, And follow there direction.

First, congrats on taking the step in to a new form of riding. TT/flat track may look easy, but it is more then a big motor and turning the bars. Be patient and expect to spend more time intially wrenching and dialing it in then riding to the podium.

Nos 350 knows the hot ticket, so as far as I am concerned his word on set up is gold. The high end stuff will always be better, I just switched to peps as well, but if dollars are tight, go with the blaster or 300ex shocks with the R6 rear. To pick the one you need go by your rear tire.

After my testing last season I have determined for the best hook up using an R6 / blaster or 300ex combo, you need to decide wich tire height you want. For tires about 18 inches, go with the 300ex shocks. For the 20 inchers, use the blaster shocks. Reason being, you need to keep the front quite a bit higher to get the rear to hook on that R6 (granted that is what you use).

If you need info in mounting an R6 shock, pm me and i can give you part numbers for some bushings that work instead of spending more cash machining bushings then the shock will cost ya.

Finally, FUCK TRINITY! There is a thread in the product reviews section, give it a read. Yeah they deal alot of the cp cylinders, but that would be about the only dollar you should spend there. If you are lookin for a total package look at duncan racing's national kit. When has trinity won a pikes peak? Other wise spend some time planning a motor build. Do ALOT of research, and ask lots of questions if the info you need isn't posted. People will problably answer ya with smart ass comments, but we have all started some where. Don't let some of these guys fool ya. Pm me with questions, and i will help ya or steer you in the right direction to some one who will.

:D thanks a lot nos and carbine!!! You two were awesome help :) I most likely will be asking a lot of dumb questions, and probably getting more smart ass comments to my questions. Lol

But I got plenty of time to reaserch, and ask questions. I will start building in the winter. I just want to finish my kfx first. I got about $1200 I want to dump into that and then I will start on the shee!!!

Nos that's how my kfx is with the over rev. I can hold a gear for ever without hitting the rev limiter. As for the suspension, I will prolly get the r6 shock for the rear, and then buy something aftermarket for the fronts!

I will have to do some reaserch on motor work.

Once again! Thank you so much for the help!!!!

• 1 month later...

Great thread! I'm thinking about doing the same thing (currently set up for trail/MX, but want to try TT in the near future), and want to keep the bike easily interchangeable between one form of riding and another. If I decide I like it, I might change the Banshee to full TT, and build another MX/trail bike.

Just so I make sure I understand; essentially all that needs to be done is changing out the shocks (which I assume lowers the stance) and changing out the tires? I have Fox floats on the front currently, and can be adjusted for height - would I need to get new fronts with this set up?

Well, it is a little more complex then just getting the height and tires. Need to get a swaybar, and make sure the actual motor set up works for the track by using different sprockets to put it in the right rpm range needed.

Thanks. I fully understand if I want to become competitive in races I will need to do a lot more than just adjusting the height and changing the tires, but I'm just looking to take her out on the track a few times to see if it's something I'm even interested in pursuing.

• 11 months later...

we used r6 shocks on the front and rear of our shee last year.. and i currently use r6's on the front of my blasty. bolt up with a couple washers from your local hardware store. and they are fully adjustable preload, compression and rebound. plus they are about $40-60 a piece on Ebay.. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey hope your build is coming along nicely. Whats its status as of now? Hopefully you listened to the best advice given on this website and stayed away from Trinity. Also wondering how you set it up? -2 swingarm, +2 a arm. widened rear axle, r6 rear shock, and version of a short shock ( Elka stage 1 ), and gearing, like stated all depends on how big of a track your running on, but for engine wise. Just look around till YOU find a builder that you believe is the best choice and go with them. The guy porting your engine will tell you everything you need to know, from gears to run, to fuel to use, to even what jets and exhausts to run. But as for bottom end you can stay stock. A lot of guys kick ass with stock cylinders and stock stroke but if your getting any porting done I believe that getting your crank trued and welded is a MUST. Nothing worse than going from first to last cause you have a kick ass top end but the stock crank couldnt keep up and took a shit on you. Well good luck with the build and your racing future!

hey, what up everyone?

i want to know what everyone is doing with their engine for a flat track setup. should i get a big bore? or keep it stock? i realy dont know much about engines (hence the reason i am buying a banshee to rebuild it.) so any tips would be good. i have been reading around and i see that the -2 swingarm is the hot setup. but what about gearing? and i have been reading that some get an r6 shock, and blaster or 300ex shocks. but is there anyhting else thats better than this? and what about a arms? +1? +2? whats the good setup for that? the first thing i am worried about rite now is getting the motor work done. its my winter project so i got some time for everything else. i just realy need to know what pistons, cylinder head (if i need it) i just need to know what is the best thing for a full top end rebuild. (bottom end too if theres a good setup)

pretty much tell me the "dream" banshee setup and i will build it :drool:

(this guy is funny lol :bolt:

thanks a lot for all the help in advance!