wheeling with rear strut

drag+6blaster

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go with a 15/16 front. make the strut long enough so that the swingarm is about level, but slightly below level to be precise. (i can get into the technical explanation about why if needed.) get smaller tires in the front (smaller than 18" if possible) and try to get the chassis to sit only slightly angled towards the front end if you dont have a bar as well when sitting on the bike. try to get some shocks on the front that have as little amount of travel as possible, as this will help to keep the front end from climbing as well, yet will make it forgiving when going down the track.

go with a 15/16 front. make the strut long enough so that the swingarm is about level, but slightly below level to be precise. (i can get into the technical explanation about why if needed.) get smaller tires in the front (smaller than 18" if possible) and try to get the chassis to sit only slightly angled towards the front end if you dont have a bar as well when sitting on the bike. try to get some shocks on the front that have as little amount of travel as possible, as this will help to keep the front end from climbing as well, yet will make it forgiving when going down the track.

Sure explain.. any info is going to be a big help. not trying to get a longer swinger because then at the track people want you to spot them and let them break (break is leaving the line first.) Not looking at having a 6 sec bike. just trying to break into the high 7's . I'm running low 8's now 8.3 - 8.5. 1/8 mile track

Generally, if you are not running a bar and running on a shorter swingarm, you want the bike to rake towards the rear, not the front. Having the bike rake towards the front generally allows for greater weight transfer to the rear tires, making it hook harder, making the front end lift. Swingarm angle does play a roll in power transfer to the tires, but not as much when struted compared to a suspended bike. You definitely want to keep playing with ride height both front and rear. But I recommend starting with the front end slightly higher than the rear. Im not at all doubting or challenging slowerthanyou's input. I have read many posts from him on this topic and with the amount of seat time/passes they have made, im sure he is a great source for info.

When you do decide to get a new swingarm and maybe some custom struts made, be sure to hit me up for some pricing. I can set you up with a wheelie bar, bracket to mount to the subframe, etc. or whatever you may need.

I have been doing alot of tuning(not motor) and alot of passes,I still cant get my mph up like you tho,but im getting there.I have also been hitting 300ft

MPH is hard to get when you pass the 1/8 mile mark. We are pretty sure it has something to do with a quad not being very aerodynamic. How we get our mph, I'm not totally sure. I have an idea and I think it there are 2 items that play a major factor.

Thanks for the kind words, AZCUSTOMQUADS!

Dragblaster, you have a lot of work ahead of you and more items you need to tune. The combination of all parts have to work together or make compromises between the parts. The 1st thing I would do with your set-up. Is get a little bit of wheel speed (little spin) off the line. Most fast drag clutch set-ups will have it and NHRA Pro Stock cars use are the perfect example. There are numerous ways to compromise to get it. Now you just need to do a little research to figure it out. I will point you in the right direction, but I will not do the work for you.

BK

Thanks for the kind words, AZCUSTOMQUADS!

Dragblaster, you have a lot of work ahead of you and more items you need to tune. The combination of all parts have to work together or make compromises between the parts. The 1st thing I would do with your set-up. Is get a little bit of wheel speed (little spin) off the line. Most fast drag clutch set-ups will have it and NHRA Pro Stock cars use are the perfect example. There are numerous ways to compromise to get it. Now you just need to do a little research to figure it out. I will point you in the right direction, but I will not do the work for you.

BK

wheel speed ? I tried to over rev it dump the clutch .but it's not spinning the wheels. tried too much rear air pressure but it still hooks. its a suspension issue .to much weight over the rear wheels, i think,,

wheel speed ? I tried to over rev it dump the clutch .but it's not spinning the wheels. tried too much rear air pressure but it still hooks. its a suspension issue .to much weight over the rear wheels, i think,,

THIS IS SOME CRAP!!! thunder and lighting caused the track to be canceled Yesterday. got to wait till next Friday. I hate playing the waiting game. i raced a stock Honda 700 and killed him on the road. i gave him a bikes lead and picked it up plus about 5 more bikes..The new clutches working good.. and are grabbing hard changed springs to heavy duty

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last night was alot better night at the track. Bike was very consistent launching and time wise( 8.4best )( 8.5 like 10 passes ) (8.6 once i didn't have it reved enough and the Pro tree caught me sleeping so it bogged ) i very happy with the suspension. New problem , the front sprocket (17teeth) is stretching my gears to long ,didn't hit 6th gear...i'm going back to the 13 front (back to stock gearing).. will probly order sprocket (15teeth) this week , i think from 13 to 17 was to big of a jump. I guy at the track has a set of out of frame drag pipes thats for sale. I;m going to check them out and get a price on them, he also has a set of alky carbs , i will be asking about them to. I will go back for some more testing when new parts (15 sprocket) and maybe pipes (if they're in good condition) come in . thanks again for all the advice..