Keeps getting hung in 3rd or 4th gear!

My bike will get hung 3rd or 4th gear if i leave hard. But if i take it easy off the line then it will shift fine.I have a full 6speed override. I can not figure what is doing it.The shift forks are fine. I don't have a modded shift star.What could be causing this. Sometimes it will get hung in 2nd or sometimes 3rd.Or it might do fine.It is not consistent.

Its a slipping clutch.. Need to add weight to the lockup

yes.. 2nd that

either that or the eccentric bolt for the shift shaft is loose

Edited by _Hex*

School us less knowledgable on how a slipping clutch would cause hard shifting? Especially because it's not a consistant problem. Plus with an override isn't he not even using the clutch to shift?

A slipping clutch doesn't cause hard shifting.. It just causes it to hang up. when the clutch is slipping while under power it creates a tension/bind on the trans and wont release. Using the clutch lever to shift has nothing to do with the holding ability of the clutch. Its not consistant because he's not launching consistantly or shifting at the exact same rpm. Alot of variables so some passes are putting more torque on on the clutch then others. Being on asphault is going to put even more load on the clutch.

There is some other things that could be causing this problem too. I just mentioned the most common cause.. I'd definetly inspect the clutch pack and components also. Adding weight to a fried clutch is defeating the purpose..

I'm actually having the EXACT same problem right now on my big motor..

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same prob.....

????? Where is the eccentric bolt??? What should it be torqued to?

According to clymer manual 22 ft-lb. send my your email address and I will send you pic of it. If you have a cylmers manual. page 144 shows the bolt and page 148 has the torque specs Eccentric bolt is located next to the shift star. It is used to adjust the shift drum pins with the shift shaft.