Alky Conversion Problem

I recently switched from 34mm PJ gassers to 34 PJ alky carbs. The bike ran flawlessly on the gas carbs, right down to the hour that I pulled them off. I made all the necessary changes, plugs, gas cap, etc. I start the bike up and it just revs to the sky, pull the kill switch and it still goes to the verge of blowing up!! My first thought is detonation from an air leak, but it was perfect before I switched the carbs. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

-Mike

I recently switched from 34mm PJ gassers to 34 PJ alky carbs. The bike ran flawlessly on the gas carbs, right down to the hour that I pulled them off. I made all the necessary changes, plugs, gas cap, etc. I start the bike up and it just revs to the sky, pull the kill switch and it still goes to the verge of blowing up!! My first thought is detonation from an air leak, but it was perfect before I switched the carbs. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

-Mike

Its lean. Could be a number of different things. What jetting did you start with?

Carbs are setup as follows.... .118 Mains, .118 dumps, EGL needles(I'll have to check where the clip is on the needles), 68 pilots, K&T Power Jets. I know the pilots are stupid fat, I'm going to change them but it's not something that would cause this problem.

*Air screws are 1 1/4 out

Edited by blackedout96

Yep, the slides are seating perfectly. First thing I checked was to see if one of them had hung open but it didn't. I'm going to raise the needles as far as they go, maybe drill the dumps to .120 and see if that doesn't do it. If not, it has to be an air leak. Just blows my mind that it could be that, have about 2 hours on the fresh build and it was running absolutely perfect when I pulled the gas carbs off. Stranger things have happened though I guess.

Thanks for all the advise everyone, I'll keep you updated!

Try a leak down test but it seems like a lean hang to me ! Next time it does that , Nail the throttle wide open and that should kill the motor , I know it dont sound right but thats what I was taught by a top builder! and it worked for me .

Edited by Paul M

Thanks HQ brothers for all the advice. I have it torn down for a leak down right now. If it tests good, ill be doin some hoggin on the carbs. I usually just jam it into gear to kill it when this shit happens, scares me to open the carbs when its already trying to blow its self up. Ill try it though.

Sheefreak, ill prolly see u at the dunes or wmsd. I ride with JD. Thanks for your thoughts Man!

turn the choke nobs in till they stop turning..... the pj's use the choke nob as the idle adjustment. if they are to far out the engine will lean rev like your talking. also try and get your slides down as far as you can so if it does run away all ya do is let off the throttle and it should kill the motor.

The dump tubes are too small. Trust me, I've had the same exact problem.

You need to drill the dump tubes to at least .122 even if you dont plan on running that big of a main jet.

The needle is plugging off too much of the dump with it at .118 and causing it to run away.

Drill them to .122 and it will purr like a kitten