Porting a Banshee witha stock exhaust

Klaus

Hi Guys!!

Something that I was wondering about, What would power gains be if you port a Banshee with a stock exh system? I know the stocker restricts the engine quite a bit. If you could squeeze a few HP out of it, and still retain the stock look, it could be a pretty nice sleeper.

What do you guys rate one could expect in gains???

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys!!

Something that I was wondering about, What would power gains be if you port a Banshee with a stock exh system? I know the stocker restricts the engine quite a bit. If you could squeeze a few HP out of it, and still retain the stock look, it could be a pretty nice sleeper.

What do you guys rate one could expect in gains???

I bet you can get 15 or more horsepower by doing a cleanup port widening the exhaust out to about 72% of bore raising it about 1mm reeds ported reed cage and shaving the stock head. Prolly 10 from just the porting.

That would be sweet. Smoking a piped banshee! He would be like what the.....

Edited by SLORYDER

I think I know what my next project will be... The Ultimate sleeper... I spoke to some friends, we sort of came to the conclusion porting a shee with stock pipes, should put you in the ballpark of an unported piped shee, maybe a bit more, who knows. Doesn't sound like many have attempted porting a shee with stock pipes.

I also though about shaving the stock head to get the comp up as much as I can and sort the squish gap too. Should have a nice linear power curve too.

I have a friend who cuts the stock pipes along all the welds and guts all the restrictive stuff out of the pipes... you should see whats in there it looks like the inside of a silencer, all perforated sheet against the walls of the pipe.

It makes a BIG difference, he has done about 6 sets now for all his buddies... I will try to get some pics for you hes half way through doing another set.

On our local dyno (low reading) a well tuned banshee with his stock cut pipes and a filter made 42hp... no shaved head, no advanced timing, nothing... same bike made 45hp with fmf fatty pipes on it...

i would love to do an ultimate sleeper as well. cut stock pipes, 4mm crank, ported, rechambered head. +6 timing, bored stock carbs and cut holes everywhere in the airbox. run it on race gas and spend alot of time tuning it. you would beat so many bikes it wouldnt be funny...

I have a friend who cuts the stock pipes along all the welds and guts all the restrictive stuff out of the pipes... you should see whats in there it looks like the inside of a silencer, all perforated sheet against the walls of the pipe.

It makes a BIG difference, he has done about 6 sets now for all his buddies... I will try to get some pics for you hes half way through doing another set.

On our local dyno (low reading) a well tuned banshee with his stock cut pipes and a filter made 42hp... no shaved head, no advanced timing, nothing... same bike made 45hp with fmf fatty pipes on it...

i would love to do an ultimate sleeper as well. cut stock pipes, 4mm crank, ported, rechambered head. +6 timing, bored stock carbs and cut holes everywhere in the airbox. run it on race gas and spend alot of time tuning it. you would beat so many bikes it wouldnt be funny...

I would second that. The stock pipes can be adapted to work rather well. My numbers show the 4mm motor would not work as good but would make some decent bottom end. For years, guys have been adding silencers to the stock pipes. You will not get drag race numbers but you will get good real world performance.

B

More info or pics would be nice, especially how he cuts them open. This is an interesting idea, didn't realize banshee pipes had crap inside them like Blaster pipe. One thing I'm baffeled about is dia of stinger vs lenght , seems to small. Have to look for old pipes tomorrow. To much junk not enough light in garage lol.

Looks like I've opened a can of worms with this post... :rolleyes:

Does anyone know hos the stuff inside the exhaust is kept there? Can it just be pulled out of is it spot-welded? Wont you be able to rip it out by sticking a wire through the exh opening?

I'm busy with exams for the next week, but after that, I'll be looking for a stocker or even one with aftermarket pipes, as long as I can get hold of stock pipes too...This could be fun!!!

• 1 month later...