4mil stock cyl's or 421 Cub?

Alright, I've been debating for a while. I want to either set up a 421 cub or a 4 mil w/ ported stock cylinders. I can't decide which I want. I can't do it right away because I just don't have the funds to do it right now. I do all kinds of riding; trails, duning (kinda), and hillclimbing are the top three. I'm kind of steering more towards a 4 mil stocker set-up...

My question's are....

1. If I decide to do a 4 mil with a port job (dune/hillshoot) what all would I need to prepare to send in....other than the cylinders? (I'm thinking HJR FYI)

2. I also plan on ordering a 4 mil crank (hotrod), lock-up clutch and cover, direct drive, pipes (shearers possibly), cool head, and timing plate. Is there anything else that i'm leaving out?

3. with a 4 mil will i need different carbs (currently running stockers)?

sorry for all the questions, just want to get some knowledge about it before I go toying around and eff'n things up. If I left anything out or want to buy something that sounds ridiculous....let me know!!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your planning on running a lockout, you need to also run a duneable override transmission. You will need to send the builder your cylinders and trans. You will also need:

4mil crank with max load bearings

35mm pwks, intakes and filters

pancake bearing

billet basket

FAST clutch if you don't end up running an override

cool head and domes cut for 4mil stroke

Pipes, Rockets or CPIs work awesome on Jeffs 4mil dune ported motors

I would also recomend that you have your cases port matched

Thats all the major componets needed, however you have to factor in gaskets, bearings, seals etc..

jeez...i didn't realize it was necessary to have a duneable override for a lock-out.

Glad I asked out this stuff hahaa.

If your planning on running a lockout, you need to also run a duneable override transmission. You will need to send the builder your cylinders and trans. You will also need:

4mil crank with max load bearings

35mm pwks, intakes and filters

pancake bearing

billet basket

FAST clutch if you don't end up running an override

cool head and domes cut for 4mil stroke

Pipes, Rockets or CPIs work awesome on Jeffs 4mil dune ported motors

I would also recomend that you have your cases port matched

Thats all the major componets needed, however you have to factor in gaskets, bearings, seals etc..

If your planning on a cub ,better bump the carbs to 39's or you'll be leaving 7 hp out of the picture. TZ drive bearing as well instead of maxload ....Jim

Edited by PassionRE

Run a stock cylinder 4mil setup. I have had both, and ive gotta say i like my K&T stock cylinder 4 mil better then my 421cub I had.

Id go with 35mm carbs (means you need intakes). You dont HAVE to run a duneable or an overide tranny with either setup, just makes shitfing it a hell of a lot easier. I have a duneable in my stock cylinder bike, but had a stock tranny in my 421 both worked, just takes a little more effort to shift the stock tranny.

Run a stock cylinder 4mil setup. I have had both, and ive gotta say i like my K&T stock cylinder 4 mil better then my 421cub I had.

Id go with 35mm carbs (means you need intakes). You dont HAVE to run a duneable or an overide tranny with either setup, just makes shitfing it a hell of a lot easier. I have a duneable in my stock cylinder bike, but had a stock tranny in my 421 both worked, just takes a little more effort to shift the stock tranny.

looking to build a 421 later this year ,so glad this stuff was asked! why do you like the 421 stock cylinder set up better than 421 cub motor?

sorry for jumping on your post!

pete

looking to build a 421 later this year ,so glad this stuff was asked! why do you like the 421 stock cylinder set up better than 421 cub motor?

sorry for jumping on your post!

pete

it wouldn't be a 421 w/ stock cylinders...but a 4 mil w/ ported stocks compared to a 421 cub (maybe you meant to say that)

it's no problem bro...

if you ask these questions that means i don't have to...it's all good!

it wouldn't be a 421 w/ stock cylinders...but a 4 mil w/ ported stocks compared to a 421 cub (maybe you meant to say that)

it's no problem bro...

if you ask these questions that means i don't have to...it's all good!

IMO, you'd be much better served sticking with stock, ported cylinders, going 4mil, and using the money saved over a cub to get a nice set of 29/30mm PWKs (Keihin or the OKO knock-offs), a set of VForce III reeds, a decent exhaust system (T5 or similar), and a good clutch... You're asking your bike to do a lot of different things. While a Shee with a Cub/Dunable/Lockup CAN do a lot of those things, it would still be more focused on Hillshooting and less so on trail riding or duning. A dunable OR is more "back loading safe" than a non-dunable, but still not as durable in that sense as a good stocker...

If you are ever going to run the trails, you want to stick w/a stock cyl IMO. The power delivery of a cub is no good for traction and a stock banshee has trouble grabbing traction on packed dirt.

Cub cylinders are for drag racing pretty much cut and dry. You can dune them and I wouldn't hesitate to put them on a dune/dragger setup. But never on a trail bike.

if u go with lockup.. look into the slingshot... just mod your stock side cover, then u dont have to spend acouple of billz on a new side cover.

also , wcr came out with a new overide that is suppose to be safe bein backloaded... think it has a 1 yr warrenty