first mods on a stock banshee

So; I´ve got my Banshee for a few weeks already; I bought it fully stock as 2003 but came to be a 2004/2005 (2004 according to the numbers printed in the chassis and motor and 2005 according to the Yamaha model color history web¿?).

It´s my first quad and I am very happy and impressed of how it rides but as most off you I´ve come to the point where I will like to upgrade a few things without spending much or modifying too much the bike. I have seached for topics like "best upgrades for the money" or a suggestion on an order to follow when modifying a banshe but i haven´t had any luck.

I will like your help to know if I´m going the right way.

First I am planning on changing the pipes/exhaust first; I have bought a set of FMF Fattys (used); next step could be getting some Boyesen reeds that are not that expensive as a set of vforce reed/cages, could this be a way to go? maybe air filter instead of reeds?

I´m hoping to get some power in the low-mid ranges, will this mods do the work or should I start or continue with something else?

What carb jets and setting will you reccomend with the new exhaust. I live in the coast and mainly ride from sea level up to 3000ft of elevation. Temperature range is between 60 to 80 during all the year. I will like to maintain the air lid also.

Thanks in advance for your help

If you want the motor to live very long, ditch the junk stock filter setup first. If you plan on keeping the airbox, get one of the aftermarket flanges that bolt in the airbox, and then put a K&N, or some other foam filter on it, preferably with an Outerwear over the filter, or ditch the airbox altogether, and use pods with Outerwear's on them. Other than that, you are on the right track mod wise.

timing plate for sure. ditch the air box and throw on a k&n or go to pods. def get some reeds which you already mentioned. a coolhead with 21cc domes to stay on pump gas would def be worth the $$ too.

here is a good article everyone should read before attempting to start jetting. it even has some recommendations for certain mods you do. its a good place to start.

http://www.dfn.com/benkaren/jetfaq.html

that is the basic bolt on stuff before jumping up to getting your jugs ported. also very much worth the $$.

The mods in my sig turned my shee a full 360 from the stock setup! And thanks to Ebay and the sell forums on here I spent about half of what all that would have cost from a dealer or new. Good Luck man, and welcome to the heroin-like addiction of the Banshee!

EDIT: DO NOT buy ricky stator anything!! Bad personal experience, and most guys on here are not fans of that junk either!

Edited by overrevtricky

thanks everybody for the help, I´ve been into mtb downhill for year and I thought that sport was expensive! guess I found another adiction :headbang:

I´m glad to know I was on the right direction. I will start looking for the air filter and the reeds, together with the exhaust set and the jetting will be it for a while until I get a good amount of hours in the shee.

What´s a good online source of parts for our banshees? if you can suggest me some it will be higly appreciated. :notworthy:

thanks everybody for the help, I´ve been into mtb downhill for year and I thought that sport was expensive! guess I found another adiction :headbang:

I´m glad to know I was on the right direction. I will start looking for the air filter and the reeds, together with the exhaust set and the jetting will be it for a while until I get a good amount of hours in the shee.

What´s a good online source of parts for our banshees? if you can suggest me some it will be higly appreciated. :notworthy:

Addiction is a perfect word!!

For my parts, its Ebay all the way, you just gotta be cautious and you'll be good. Lots of dealers that sell on there. That and the yamaha shop locally, they can get alot of stuff for not a huge amount of cash. Check the sell forums on here as well!

So; I´ve got my Banshee for a few weeks already; I bought it fully stock as 2003 but came to be a 2004/2005 (2004 according to the numbers printed in the chassis and motor and 2005 according to the Yamaha model color history web¿?).

It´s my first quad and I am very happy and impressed of how it rides but as most off you I´ve come to the point where I will like to upgrade a few things without spending much or modifying too much the bike. I have seached for topics like "best upgrades for the money" or a suggestion on an order to follow when modifying a banshe but i haven´t had any luck.

I will like your help to know if I´m going the right way.

First I am planning on changing the pipes/exhaust first; I have bought a set of FMF Fattys (used); next step could be getting some Boyesen reeds that are not that expensive as a set of vforce reed/cages, could this be a way to go? maybe air filter instead of reeds?

I´m hoping to get some power in the low-mid ranges, will this mods do the work or should I start or continue with something else?

What carb jets and setting will you reccomend with the new exhaust. I live in the coast and mainly ride from sea level up to 3000ft of elevation. Temperature range is between 60 to 80 during all the year. I will like to maintain the air lid also.

Thanks in advance for your help

you should get a pipe kit it coms with evary thinyou need pipes air box filer jets and some kit even come with reeds well there u go u do with as u please

If you want the motor to live very long, ditch the junk stock filter setup first. If you plan on keeping the airbox, get one of the aftermarket flanges that bolt in the airbox, and then put a K&N, or some other foam filter on it, preferably with an Outerwear over the filter, or ditch the airbox altogether, and use pods with Outerwear's on them. Other than that, you are on the right track mod wise.

hey fastbanshee8, i was looking into the pods for my shee but a lil hesitant cuz i sometimes have to go thro some water and decent amounts of mud where i typically seem to ride. what are your feeling on k+n pods in those situations???

thanks Gurnzz

Sounds like you no what you want to do. your on the right track. I can hook u up with the air filter kit, coolhead,carbs and all. Hit me up when your ready to start building. Ill help get you going and make you some great deals. If your on a budget not a problem. We'll figure out a plan and what would be a good starting point and get you going. shoot me a pm anytime bud. welcome to your new addiction :headbang: