My suspension setup...In detail.

locogato11283

OK, here is what I am running.

Front end: +2/+1 Quicksand standard travel a-arms, Elka dual rates with compression adjustable

Rear end: +8 Stellar Machine and Performance arched ladder swingarm, Elka dual rate with compression adjustable

I want to say that there is no replacement for a good suspension setup. I see people running around with 90hp motors and stock shocks and arms. That's pointless. These people have no idea how much faster they could be going with the proper suspension.

Saturday was the first day I have had my bike out with my new rear end and motor. My bike is pretty long and I thought I would lose some handling abilities going 2" longer this year. WRONG. The addition of the Elka in the rear for this year made all the difference in the world.

Saturday morning I was messing around by the hillclimb practice hill over in Troy. The practice hill has a couple doubles. I lined up and took off pretty hard in 2nd and before I got to the first double, I realized that the jump had been built up a lot steeper than when I rode it a few weeks ago. It was too late to back out so I laid on the throttle and made sure I was going to keep the front end up. I was probably 6-8 feet in the air and jumped a good 50 feet out. While in the air I remember thinking damn, this is going to hurt.. The bike came down and STUCK, like a gymnast landing off the uneven bars. I was amazed. I went from thinking that eating shit was in my near future to realizing that my suspension saved my ass.

Later in the day I started running the hill. We redesigned the hill with some BIG jumps. The hill is faster now. After I got the hang of the bike on the hill, I started really laying into it. I was amazed at how the bike keeps planted and puts the power down.

To make a long story not quite as long, there is NO replacement for a proper suspension setup. I am not talking about some +2 arms with YFZ450 shocks or a complete YFZ450 front end. I am not talking about revalving junk rear stock banshee shocks. I am talking about GOOD QUALITY suspension setups built for the Banshee.

The moral of the story is, do it right the first time. If you don't have the money for a good setup, save up until you do. You will thank yourself in the long run and you won't have to bother with stuff that just doesn't work.

For those of you that have not seen the video from Saturday, here it is..The videos don't do anything in it justice. The hill is better, my bike sounds better and is smoother than the video makes it look. But you can get an idea of what I am talking about..

19/40 gearing and 22" cut STI Dirt Trax. 2nd gear launches.

What rear shock where you running before the elka.

I know people that have had tons of problems with elka, one of my buddy spent a lot of money on elkas

The rear he sent back 2 times, It practically throws him off the bike it so bouncy.

I do agree with you 100%, and there are 100's of ways to go when it comes to suspension.

There are a lot of company's out there building some insane shocks.

I think for you its curcial because if your rear shock isnt setup properly you will have alot of tire spin and wont hook and launch like you need to.

I would say that almost anything is going to be better than stock

I cant comment much because I have near tried anything other than a stock rear shock, But i had originally had my rear shock re-worked by WORKS for my +2 and it had to be the best thing i had done to my suspension. I was perfect, bike launched real hard, landings where smooth and painless.

Just had another shock done for a +4 setup, I hope i am as happy with this one as the first time around.

What's your beef with the stock rear shock???

why do you not recommend a reshocked revalved rear shock???

i have seen people dumb $200-$400 in them and then they still arent right. i just feel like there are far better options than upgrading the stock junk. aftermarket shocks can be built to your exact weight and a-arm or swingarm length. as far as im concerned, thats the best way to go.

What rear shock where you running before the elka.

I know people that have had tons of problems with elka, one of my buddy spent a lot of money on elkas

The rear he sent back 2 times, It practically throws him off the bike it so bouncy.

stock shock with an eibach spring. ive never had an issue with mine. it sounds like the spring rate or valving is not right. i would def not give up on an elka though. did he buy it new from elka or get it used?

I do agree with you 100%, and there are 100's of ways to go when it comes to suspension.

There are a lot of company's out there building some insane shocks.

I think for you its curcial because if your rear shock isnt setup properly you will have alot of tire spin and wont hook and launch like you need to.

I would say that almost anything is going to be better than stock

sure, there are tons of shocks out there. fox, axis, ohlins and elka. any of them will be a much better choice than stock or going to a yfz450 shock especially when its setup for your weight and arm length.

I cant comment much because I have near tried anything other than a stock rear shock, But i had originally had my rear shock re-worked by WORKS for my +2 and it had to be the best thing i had done to my suspension. I was perfect, bike launched real hard, landings where smooth and painless.

Just had another shock done for a +4 setup, I hope i am as happy with this one as the first time around.

What's your beef with the stock rear shock???

i just think they are junk. i know several people that have dumped several hundred dollars in stock rear shocks and they still dont perform like my elka. i paid $400 for my rear elka used and bought $100 worth of the right springs directly from elka. so for $500, i have a badass basically brand new elka. why spend $150+ on stock when for a few more hundred you can go aftermarket?

He had bought his fronts and rear brand new.

He has given up with them and is just dealing with the rear as is.

No comparison to ride and feel of my rear shock. I have yet to try the new one that was just done, but i guess i have to let the HQ know how It feels.

I understand your thoughts, especially on the yfz front end on a banshee

it was built and designed for a 450, should prob stay on a 450

But my rear shock, was built for my weight, swinger, swinger length and riding style.

Works gets all the springs from eibach.

After what they call a heart transplant, the shock is brand new.

New piston, shaft, seals, spring etc

Is it the actual stock rear shock you dont care for or works?

I honestly couldnt even imagine riding my bike with stock suspension.

Anyone with a bike thats making some power, would enjoy there shee 20x better if they upgraded there suspension.

Hahah, well Locogoto is probably referring to my train wreck of a bike... I've tried about 5 different shock/arm combos over the last three years and none of them have turned out as good as I'd hoped... I sent my rear shock out to get rebuilt about a year ago. I had the guy put Race Tech gold valving in it as well as a Race Tech spring. Its better, but not any where near the $400 bucks I spent on it. I'm currently running the yfz shocks on a +2+1 Wicked front end and like the way it works. I will however be investing into a set of Elkas all the way around my bike as soon as my motor is done. Tyler is right when he says that Elkas are the way to go. banghead.gif

Upgrading a stock or installing a YFZ 450 shock can give some advantages on handling , but cant be compared with any brand of customized to riders weight shock with compression and rebound adjustments.

You can fine tune your driving handling acording to the track’s needs.

I have Elka’s and they handle great, and to be honest I don’t know if any other suspension manufacturer has ever developed a special Long travel rear setup for the Banshee.

I second what loco says GOOD QUALITY suspension setups built for the Banshee

Suspension is the most important part of the bike for sure. What's the point of having a ton of power if you can't get it to the ground or control it. As far as elka suspension it def is a awsome set up better then a stock reworked shock but not by far. loco not taking it away from u saying that elka is great but sounds like a little bit of luck u didn't eat shit on that jump. I have elka stage 3 on my raptor and they are awsome but I have all works on my banshee and soon going to test it out. If I were to get a great deal on elkas I would jump on it in a second.

Upgrading a stock or installing a YFZ 450 shock can give some advantages on handling , but cant be compared with any brand of customized to riders weight shock with compression and rebound adjustments.

You can fine tune your driving handling acording to the track’s needs.

I have Elka’s and they handle great, and to be honest I don’t know if any other suspension manufacturer has ever developed a special Long travel rear setup for the Banshee.

I second what loco says GOOD QUALITY suspension setups built for the Banshee

i agree.

Suspension is the most important part of the bike for sure. What's the point of having a ton of power if you can't get it to the ground or control it. As far as elka suspension it def is a awsome set up better then a stock reworked shock but not by far. loco not taking it away from u saying that elka is great but sounds like a little bit of luck u didn't eat shit on that jump. I have elka stage 3 on my raptor and they are awsome but I have all works on my banshee and soon going to test it out. If I were to get a great deal on elkas I would jump on it in a second.

i dont think it was luck at all. i rode on my old stocker with the eibach spring for over 4 years and i know for a fact that if it were on there, i would have eaten shit. part of the reason i was like "oh shit" is because i had forgot about the elka on the back considering it was really my first ride with the new setup. i dont think luck has anything to do with it because as the day went on and i got more comfortable on the bike, i got faster and faster. it just works that good.

i do agree that suspension is every bit as important or even more so than motor when it comes to going fast. if you cant put the power down, its useless.

i agree with loco 100%... suspension is the most overlooked part of ANY build... its pointless to have a fast built bike if you cant use it to its FULL potential without it kicking your ass in 45 minutes, i personally have works tripple rates with rezzies valved for me and my riding style, and a P.E.P rear shock dual rate comp, and rebound adjustable and love it.. i found that once i got my suspension dialed in it made riding so much more enjoyable, i wouldnt be wore out in 45 minutes of riding...suspension is KEY t

i wish i could afford a rear shock for my set up but i am broke. i got front shocks but not a rear. anyone know the cheapest A/M rear shock I could get?

i would watch ebay for something used. i actually found my rear shock on atvdragracers.com. they are out there. you just have to find them.

I got a question. I got a killer deal on works shocks about a year ago. Fronts are triple rate with remote reservoirs and the rear has a remote resi. Now my question is would it be better to sell those and get a higher grade shock or send those and get them set up for me? I completely agree with making sure the suspension is right i just want to know if i should get better suspension. I don't want to drop some insane amount of money though. This would just be for duning btw.