BOWHUNTING.. Post up!

SheezFast02

Ruko, killer buck! That is a big bodied deer right there.

Madjimmax, that big bear you posted. I think I remember that being posted on Archerytalk. Are you a member there? I spend alot of time on that site.

Yea it was probably the same bear and no I'm not a member of AT. Come to find out the bear was basicly someones pet this guy leroy has been hand feeding this bear since he was a cub. The hunter found out that the bear was hooked on twinkies and diet soda; I know right but yes twinkies and diet coke. One of the hunters was supposed to be diabetic and just happen to have some twinkies and diet coke sitting out when the bear was shot. The fools also chased this poor bear around and shot the thing 8 or 9 times before it expired. Its guys like that who makes honest hunters look like shit. Link of story .

Bushkill man 'devastated' by death of bear he'd fed for years

Text Size: A | A | A icon_print1.gifPrint this Article icon_email1.gifEmail this Article

icon_cellphone.pngSign up for text alerts

icon_newsletter.pngSign up for e-mail headlines

sm-share-en.gif Photo 1 of 2 | Zoom Photo + Leroy Lewis spends some quality time near his home with the bear he named Bozo. This photo was taken two or three years ago. The bear was killed Monday on the first day of archery season, by which time it had grown to 875 pounds, the largest recorded bear in Pennsylvania.contributed photoBy DAVID KIDWELLPocono Record Visual EditorNovember 20, 2010 Leroy Lewis stood in the doorway of his tiny mobile home in Bushkill on Monday evening and wept as a Pennsylvania Game Commission officer told him his beloved bear, Bozo, had been shot by a hunter.

Seventeen years of memories filled Lewis' mind as he digested the news that Bozo was dead. In those years, Lewis watched this wild animal-turned-pet grow as he hand-fed it table scraps and store-bought pies and other sweets.

Related Stories

When Bozo was shot by a hunter Monday, he weighed nearly 900 pounds. That made Bozo the largest black bear ever killed in Pennsylvania.

A trophy for David Price, the hunter, the kill was a heartbreak for Lewis.

"I'm devastated. I'm just devastated," he said Friday. "I mean I feel like I lost a friend. He used to come knock on the door when he was hungry."

Price shot the bear with a crossbow on the opening day of Pennsylvania's new archery season for bear hunting. The game commission says Price followed the law when he bagged the giant bear.

Price killed the bear near Lewis' trailer, which sits between Fernwood Resort and the border of the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. Lewis said he started feeding the bear when it was maybe 2 years old.

"He was just so friendly that I felt like feeding him," he said. "I never felt like I did anything wrong."

The game commission, in fact, thought Lewis was doing wrong by feeding the bear. It cited him in October for feeding wildlife.

On Friday, Lewis flipped through stacks of photos, some featuring him posing with the bear and even draped over the bear.

"I fed him for 17 years and I raised him from a cub," Lewis recalled. "He loved doughnuts and anything sweet. I was never scared of him."

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ahh yes, now I remember the story. And you're right, it's these guys who ruin it for the rest of us. It's a shame that this happened. On another note, this is a great example of why people need to be properly educated on the negatives of feeding wildlife. It teaches wild animals to drop their natural defenses and then this happens. It might seem like they're (the tree hugger) doing the deer or bear a nice deed by feeding it daily, but, it's just training the animal to walk right into trouble. I have nothing against feeding for hunting purposes, but non-hunters need to realize they're not helping the wildlife by feeding them on a routine.

I agree totally people need to leave well enough alone. I was working on a house last week and the home owner was bitching about the deer eating her trees and plants. But when I walked out back I noticed a pile of corn at the edge of the woods. When I asked the homeowner about it she said she put it there to keep the deer off of her trees and plants. Some people are just too stupid.

• 5 months later...

It's almost that time of year again :headbang: Bow season starts here on Sept 1st this year.... yee haa... Here are some pics of last years weird ass white tail after I got it back from the taxi. He was only a 3x3 but still scored 135 1/8... never seen a 3x3 like that before :cheers:

2011-07-15_15-09-31_256.jpg

2011-07-15_15-09-53_389.jpg

2011-07-15_15-10-15_801.jpg

Here ya go... day 3 of archery season and I have my first archery buck on the ground... he is also my first velvet buck. He isn't the biggest buck out there but I was happy to take him. Probably only about 125-130... haha not even sure how to measure them when they are in velvet still. I have never had a chance at a velvet buck before, but this year the season started earlier than usual so I couldn't wait to try for one. I saw him last night but he winded me and headed right back into the bush... I never got a shot. Then tonight I went to a different stand, farther down the same trail, and out he came... he walked right under me... I took the shot at about 10 yards. I though he was going to smell me again and take off, so I didn't hesitate. What a great night.... now for a moose... that opens next week. :headbang:

2011-09-03_20-39-19_208.jpg

2011-09-03_20-40-07_116.jpg

nice buck Ruko! where did you put your shot i don't see any exit or entry on the passenger side?

It was not a pass through... Shot him from about 12 yards out of a 17' treestand but it was a little forward... entered in the top of his left shoulder, passed through his chest, clipping both lungs, and out the right side at his arm pit, through the bottom of his right shoulder and stopped at the hide. Found the broadhead and a couple inches of the shaft in his right shoulder. The broadhead made just a little poke in the hide but stopped without going through. If the shot was back behind the shoulder where it should have been it would have been a pass through but in the end it didn't matter. It still got the job done. :headbang: