BOWHUNTING.. Post up!

SheezFast02

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well I haven't checked this thread in quite a while here's what i have just hanging around on the computer......

To the guy who calls BS on the rage going through the skull

rageface-1.jpg

To the squirrels who like to be annoying and jump around the the branches and knocking acorns on my head this might happen to you :P

squirell.jpg

As i was walking out one day this dude looked tasty and decided not to run off as i walked within 15 yards of him

2010.jpg

This coon made it all the way up to the last rung on the ladder before he decided to scat

coonladder.jpg

biggest coyote i've ever seen

cyote.jpg

Bow kill 2008

buck2008.jpg

To the rest of the hunters here on BHQ good luck it's just getting close to prime time here in missouri :clap:

I am getting my stuff ready for fall turkey season. I loaded up 15 rounds for my Model 700 Classic chambered in .221 Remington Fireball. It's a very good round for turkeys.

I will be going to the range to get it sighted in for 100 yards, although it's already very close as I shoot that rifle year around. I will use it for rainy days watching the fields.

I am also going to take my shotgun as I picked up some new ammo for it. Winchester Supreme #5 shot. I always traditionally used #4 Winchester Supremes. My gun really liked Winchester #4's and Federal #6 shot. So I am going to take all 3, including the new ammo, to see what it likes the best.

I'll have both guns ready for turkey, and will pick up either one depending on where I am going and what situation I will be hunting in.

After the turkey is down, the bow gets picked back up for a week long archery season here for bear. If that fails, the rifle gets pulled out and we got 3 long days of driving for bears up at camp in Tioga County PA.

I'm looking forward to it. While my deer is down, I got alot of hunting to do yet.

With the rainy day today, it would be a perfect day for turkeys...

where do you hunt that you can shoot turkeys with a rifle? only shotguns and bows in missouri

He's in PA, and here in MD you can also hunt the fall turkey season with a rifle here in the western part of the state.

That's so foreign to me i've never heard of hunting turkeys with a rifle. That would be a lot of fun.

It's alot of fun in the fall. .22 caliber rifles, loaded with the right bullet, are a good choice.

I like my .221 Fireball. I've killed them with .223 Remingtons, .22-250 Remington's, .222 Remington's, .218 Bee, .220 Swift, and .22 Magnum. I truely believe the .221 Remington Fireball is the best turkey round. The velocity is key along with shot placement. It's really not easy at all. If you hit a big mature bird in the wrong spot, they run away on you and you'll never find them. Same with using a bow.

Right where the wing butt meets the body, base of the neck, or center of the spine.

With the bullets I am using out of my .221 Fireball, 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, loaded with 18.5 grains of Alliant Reloader 7, Federal 205 Match primer, seated .010" off the lands, I am getting 3045 fps.

That is a little fast for my liking but it is what shoots best from that rifle...

The bullet will fragment, and will freate damage at that velocity. So spine shots and chest shots are out if I want to eat on Thangsgiving morning.

Wing butt shots and base of the neck shots for me...

It's alot of fun though.

I only chase mature Toms in the fall... although I could shoot any sex if I wanted.

Here are a couple pictures of the bucks my dad and I shot this year with our bows. He shot his on 10/16/10 and I just got mine yesterday. Both of these bucks were shot on public land, not a 200 acre private posted and patrolled farm. Its been a good year for us. Now its turkey time!

Dads

HPIM1318.jpg

Mine

DSCN2266.jpg

Mine was a little wider, but he had me on point length. All in all not to shabby.

Persistence payed off for me. I hunted pretty much every night after work, as well as weekends, and a few weekday mornings before work.

Edited by bansheeman_05

Congrats to everyone on their success so far. TeamRealtreeHD, killer trophy room!

Finally my contribution to the thread I started. This is my first ever buck. Not much to look at but I'm still very excited. It was an amazing hunt, easily the most heart-pounding moment I've had in the stand to date. This guy fucked with me for about 5 minutes before he finally walked into a shooting lane. Double lung complete pass-thru at roughly 20 yards. Shooting ST Epic 400 tipped with G5 T3 from a Reflex Bighorn set at 29"/60#. He ran roughly 60-70 yards and piled up.

sbuck.jpg

Thanks guys. Found a good sized rub in a nice pinchpoint so I put my camera in there for a week and got a shot of a decent 8 point walking right by. Was cruising through around 2am, so he should be moving mid-day as well. No bowhunting allowed during our 2 week rifle season, but I'm gonna try to call him in my first day back.

Keep em coming guys!

Well guys yesterday was a very sad day for me. I was on the way to a stand that I haven't hunted in a little over 2 weeks because of wind conditions and as I was crossing a stream to get to my stand I stummbled across this dead deer. Which is unfucking real I've seen this deer about 6 times so far this year and even have trailcam pics of him. His gross score is 178 6/8 and netted 172 4/8 he is a main frame 10 with 2 kickers which makes him 12. Let me just say this put a damper on my day, it was like I lost a friend. Oh he was hit by a car it looked like, no holes that I could see. This pic dont even do him justice his g2s and g3s are about 14 inches long with an inside spread of 22 inches and his bases are beer bottle size, this guy was a giant probably well over 250 lbs. on hoof

07d846ba.jpg

cda1fddd.jpg

1623bfcb.jpg

d756f34c.jpg