What Voids the Factory Waranty?

Doddy

So I was out riding this weekend when all the sudden my throttle got stuck wide open. I killed the bike took a look at my carb and to my surprise I was missing a Pod Filter. So I towed it back to camp and took the carb off and cleaned it up. The next day I went out and bought a new filter and rode pretty much all day, but I think the damage was done because that night all the sudden my bike stopped running and I couldn't get it started again. I literally wore a hole in my shoe trying.

My Bike is still covered under the factory warranty however I'm pretty sure some of the mods I have on there would void the warranty. Can some one please let me know which of the below mods will void the warranty so I can put my stock shit back on before I take my bike into the dealer.

TORS Eliminator carb tops - ????

Adjustable timing plate - Putting back to stock

Pod filters - ????

V-Force 2 Reeds - ????

Exhaust - doesn't void waranty

Thanks,

Alex

I thought I was out of Gas. I kicked it over a couple times and then it Popped and backfired and I couldn't get it to kick over.

I changed the spark plugs out thinking maybe I just fouled a plug, but it's not even trying to turn over. I'm going to do a compression test on it tonight and see what the deal is. After that I'm going to tear the head off and see if the piston is all scarred up.

It doesnt matter. They are probably going to deny you. When they tear the engine down and find dirt and sand what do you think they are going to say? It is stuff like this that causes companys to deny legitimate claims. Do you think they were born yesterday? :shootself:

Yamaha's warrenty is only 6 months. Unless you bought the extend warrenty.

I realize how long the warranty is I was there when I bought the bike. I did buy the extended warranty however unfortunately I did take the POS TORS off and cut the wire going into the throttle.

And do you think that you can get sand into your motor even if you have all the stock shit on? You could tear a hole in your intake boot. If you have the lid off your stock air box and the filter falls off you can get dirt and sand in it that way too.

And do you think that you can get sand into your motor even if you have all the stock shit on? You could tear a hole in your intake boot. If you have the lid off your stock air box and the filter falls off you can get dirt and sand in it that way too.

And that would also not be covered by a warrenty, because it is neglect. If you just dump regular gas with no oil in the tank and burn the engine down would that be covered under warrenty?

Yamha wouldnt cover the 01 Raptors that had bad transmission design. They claimed rider error, but mysteriously the design changed in 02.

Keep us informed on how it works out for you.

According to what I was told by my stealership when my 89 was new, ANY modification to the bike voids the warranty. They said if I brought it in with paddle tires on it, the warranty was void, however some dealerships will work with you and not mention certain things to Yamaha. If they are slow and needing work, warranty work paid by Yamaha is better than no work. If the warranty is extended and some kind of "claims ASSisant" is going to look at it you will be screwed if it is not all stock.

I am not sure if they would be covered under the magnuson ferguson act, but if they are, a dealer can not simply void a warranty becasue they want to or feel like it. They must prove that a specific part installed casued the issue. And even then they can not void your whole warranty. Only the parts that would be effected by the aftermarket item. But I have no idea if offroad vehicles are covered under this.

All they have to say is the part caused the engine to make more power than it was designed for or it caused more stress than the bike was designed to handle. Some of the reasons I have heard are-riding 2 people on it put to much load on the frame, suspension or engine, running paddle tires puts too much load on the crankshaft and causes it to spread, any aftermarket air filter allows to much dirt to pass OR to much air to pass and damages the engine.

Well It's not completely blown, but it has pretty low compression in both cylinders (around 110-115). What happened was when I let the gas get down to low there was some moisture in the gas and that mixed with some sand that got sucked up in the carb was causing the issue. I got it to fire out of one cylinder last night, but couldn't get gas to the cylinder on the other side. I'm just tearing the carbs down, soaking then and cleaning them up and should be good to go for awhile. There is definitely a top end rebuild coming in the near future.