wont Idle ! help please

Gurnzz

as long as ive owned my banshee i can never seem to get it to idle at all, always seems to stall out. tors have been removed,it has an idle kit,340 mains, 27.5 pilots, air/fuel at 1.75 turns out. not sure what look for for. could it be a prob with the carbs possibly, ie. dirty ? would a carb synchronizer help with this or no? any help on this topic would be appreciated!

thanks Gurnzz

as long as ive owned my banshee i can never seem to get it to idle at all, always seems to stall out. tors have been removed,it has an idle kit,340 mains, 27.5 pilots, air/fuel at 1.75 turns out. not sure what look for for. could it be a prob with the carbs possibly, ie. dirty ? would a carb synchronizer help with this or no? any help on this topic would be appreciated!

thanks Gurnzz

yeah they could be dirty if you havnt cleaned them. does it idle better with the choke on? one of your jets could be plugged

yeah they could be dirty if you havnt cleaned them. does it idle better with the choke on? one of your jets could be plugged

hey randomrider it doesnt seem to make a difference whether or not the choke is on or off. ill prolly pull the carbs apart and trying cleaning them first and rebuild if necessary, hopefully i find something. thanks for the response.

Make sure you sync them, i have never used a tool, i leave the air filters off and do it by eye, this works for me but a tool would be more exact.

thanks Firebanshee i will do def do that. thanks for the feedback!

thanks Gurnzz

i hope you have some mods done to your bike other than just a tors eliminator with that jetting. haha......what's all done to your bike and about what elevation are you at?

i know you said that you removed the tors, but did you remove the brain box? it's a little black box to the left of the coil with 3 wire plug. unplug it.

lol. Thanks AKheathen. yes i removed that. hey it doesnt hurt to ask tho. thanks

Have you tried increasing your idle speed by turning the screws in further? When the TORS eliminator kit was installed did you grind enough off of the side if the carb where it was drilled and tapped for the screws? Once you have the angle flattened out you usually need to take another1/8 of an inch off of it. The screws have to go into the angled slot in the slide to adjust idle speed by moving the slide up. I would clean your carbs, making sure you have the correct float bowls on the correct carb, the left is different from the right. Make sure your idle screws go in far enough to properly adjust the idle speed. Put the carbs together, screw in the idle screws till they just touch the ramp on the slides and then turn them 1/2 turn more. Start the bike, and adjust the idle screws EQUALLY until you achieve the desired idle speed and then tighten the locknuts. Turn the bike off and with the air filter removed, stick one finger inthe back of each carb so you can feel the slides. Open the throttle and see if the slides move at the same time. You will need to lengthen the screw on the top of the carb that is opening slow until they are opening at the same time. When the slides slam closed, you should only hear one click, not two. Make sure the cable has a little free play and you are set.

so, will it idle and die off after a bit, or does it die instantly with no throttle? have you checked your pickup gap setting? what does the plug look like when it stalls?

hey AKheathen yeah it dies instantly once i let go of the throttle.i set the pick up gap setting when i installed the timing advance plate like a year ago and it was right then. ill re-check it tho. do you know the spec for that off the top of your head? ill pull the plugs to and check those.

Thanks, Gurnzz

Have you tried increasing your idle speed by turning the screws in further? When the TORS eliminator kit was installed did you grind enough off of the side if the carb where it was drilled and tapped for the screws? Once you have the angle flattened out you usually need to take another1/8 of an inch off of it. The screws have to go into the angled slot in the slide to adjust idle speed by moving the slide up. I would clean your carbs, making sure you have the correct float bowls on the correct carb, the left is different from the right. Make sure your idle screws go in far enough to properly adjust the idle speed. Put the carbs together, screw in the idle screws till they just touch the ramp on the slides and then turn them 1/2 turn more. Start the bike, and adjust the idle screws EQUALLY until you achieve the desired idle speed and then tighten the locknuts. Turn the bike off and with the air filter removed, stick one finger inthe back of each carb so you can feel the slides. Open the throttle and see if the slides move at the same time. You will need to lengthen the screw on the top of the carb that is opening slow until they are opening at the same time. When the slides slam closed, you should only hear one click, not two. Make sure the cable has a little free play and you are set.

hey bansheesandrider, i did what you explained as far as the milling of the angle and the +1/8 in when i originally installed the idle screws like a year ago.. ill check the synch of the slides and the adjustments and if need be clean the carbs too.also i will check the floats. is there something noticable to determine which float is left or right?thanks again. Gurnzz