exhaust leak

:shootself: I was cleanin the shee the other day and noticed residue built up under my left exhaust port...it looked like pencil lead and

syrup..( I run 100 L).been building up.. i belive I need a new Gasket for the left exhaust.. I can apply pressure and see it's not as tite as could be.

(FmF fattys..).. is this a simple fix as ordering a new gasket and new springs???

:shootself: I was cleanin the shee the other day and noticed residue built up under my left exhaust port...it looked like pencil lead and

syrup..( I run 100 L).been building up.. i belive I need a new Gasket for the left exhaust.. I can apply pressure and see it's not as tite as could be.

(FmF fattys..).. is this a simple fix as ordering a new gasket and new springs???

Yes, thats all u need to fix that.

Yes, thats all u need to fix that.

:rolleyes:

Thanks.. I don't know thAT MUCH about engines.. just what ive learned from eXperience... The 2 strokes get a bad wrap

but the shee has never done me wrong!!!!sounds like an easy fix!!!!!..........how do I know when it's time for new rings?? whats this cost if

this is done by an engine SAVANT ??????

:rolleyes:

Thanks.. I don't know thAT MUCH about engines.. just what ive learned from eXperience... The 2 strokes get a bad wrap

but the shee has never done me wrong!!!!sounds like an easy fix!!!!!..........how do I know when it's time for new rings?? whats this cost if

this is done by an engine SAVANT ??????

If anyone has any input on this subject that would be great!!! :dance:

I just replace my rings once every season just to stay safe but that's not necessary. You can always run a compression check and see for sure if it's needed but for the most part if you break it in right and the ports are chamfered then the rings will last almost as long as the current bore they're on. New rings for mine are like 80 bucks and the only place I can find em is Vito's and I don't know what you mean by an engine savant but you can do that all yourself in under an hour.

On your exhaust, if your springs are all there and not broke or stretched, you should be good.... and on the exhaust gasket, it is actually an oring that you will need to replace... Once you remove the pipe, you will see the o/ring on the inside lip of the pipe..... And, like what was said on the rings, just do an annual compressin check, will let you know how good your rings are...............

:shootself:

On your exhaust, if your springs are all there and not broke or stretched, you should be good.... and on the exhaust gasket, it is actually an oring that you will need to replace... Once you remove the pipe, you will see the o/ring on the inside lip of the pipe..... And, like what was said on the rings, just do an annual compressin check, will let you know how good your rings are...............

:shootself: How is a compresion check performed???..It starts on the second or third kick when cold...also bought used.. how do I

know what size????

If you're referring to the size of the rings, you have to take the piston and either read the top of it if it's Wiseco it will say like "006450" or something which means 64.5mm bore so you would get rings for that size piston. If it doesn't say or if it has too much carbon on top then you would take the piston to a machine shop that does boring/honing and they will measure it for you. And as for doing a compression test, I don't get fancy with it, I just give it a good hard kick and judge by how much it resists, but to do a real test you buy a compression tester from an auto part store and you screw it into your head where the spark plugs go and kick it until it doesn't read any higher.

If you're referring to the size of the rings, you have to take the piston and either read the top of it if it's Wiseco it will say like "006450" or something which means 64.5mm bore so you would get rings for that size piston. If it doesn't say or if it has too much carbon on top then you would take the piston to a machine shop that does boring/honing and they will measure it for you. And as for doing a compression test, I don't get fancy with it, I just give it a good hard kick and judge by how much it resists, but to do a real test you buy a compression tester from an auto part store and you screw it into your head where the spark plugs go and kick it until it doesn't read any higher.

I treat this bitch like my Second born... 2nd or third kick when cold!!! (Florida.. 50degreez!)) is it worth even taking apart???

I mean shit.. runs great but could run better??? Ionly ride about 25 hrs a year!! gets too hot here in FL !!! banghead

It sounds like it's probably fine then if it starts that quick cold it must have plenty of compression. Mine starts within the first 5 or so cold and I just put fresh rings in like a few months ago.

My idea of easy is,, unbolt the cool head... take off old rings.. slide on new ones..

never cracked an engine before !!

:shrugani:

My idea of easy is,, unbolt the cool head... take off old rings.. slide on new ones..

never cracked an engine before !!

:shrugani:

Its really not that difficult to do a set of pistons and rings. I just finished doing mine for the first time (im a carpenter, not a mechanic), and it was pretty simple, as long as you have everything there. Rebuild kits are available on ebay for like $200, and theyll usually set you up with everything you need.

Do yourself a favour and buy the Clymers manual for the banshee, its like $20, its the "bible" for your bike, and bring it with you when you ride just in case. I bring mine just so I know if my day is gonna be cut short due to a $5 part or if whats happening is more involved. Itll give you all the info you need from changing the bulb to rebuilding a bottom end, mine came with one, but money well spent.

The last time I put new rings on my Shee it took me like 45 minutes for both of em including the time spent draining coolant and all that. It's super easy. For the cylinder base nuts I like to have a 6 point box wrench so it doesn't strip the nuts and they come off super fast.