PVL

sandman81

J-madd mentioned it on the "Lightened Flywheel" topic, so instead of jacking the thread i just started a new one.

Would like to get all the info i can on the PVL. Ive heard that they really don't make that big a difference since the power band die down before 9000 rpms or tops out at 9000 rpms. I would assume that that might be true for some setups, so what setups would benefit from a PVL?

What else did you want? You asked what setups benefit from it. The only answer is "Drag Motor". Notice how no one else chimed in, thats because there are no other answers for your question.

Well i did put would like to get all the info i can on the PVL, since members always give added info on all kinds of shit plus repeat the samething that other memers have posted, someone would of given me info.

I'm guessing not to many members have knowledge on the subject.

ive never heard of anyone running them unless its a full on drag bike. most guys i know with drag motors still have stock style ignition.

Thats the same thing i have seen. Thats what gets me, some of these drag bikes i have seen still run stock style, makes me wonder if there is any gain with the PVL.

• 3 months later...

While I don't have any experience with the PVL personally I have seen it come up in conversation a lot in the vintage (especially 2 stroke) road racing circuit. Usually with positive opinions.

IIRK it is a total loss system meaning no charging system. On a drag bike that could mean dumping the charging components and using a small battery. If you want to find out more check out www.USA2Strokers.com or www.2StrokeWorld.com. These sites deal mostly with the older air cooled RD350/400 bikes. IMO their info would be relevant since the Banshee motor was devoloped from these motors.

While I don't have any experience with the PVL personally I have seen it come up in conversation a lot in the vintage (especially 2 stroke) road racing circuit. Usually with positive opinions.

IIRK it is a total loss system meaning no charging system. On a drag bike that could mean dumping the charging components and using a small battery. If you want to find out more check out www.USA2Strokers.com or www.2StrokeWorld.com. These sites deal mostly with the older air cooled RD350/400 bikes. IMO their info would be relevant since the Banshee motor was devoloped from these motors.

News flash--OUr Banshees have NO CHARGING COMPONENTS... But a PVL won't run lights, so there is no output for that...

I had a PVL system on my TRX330ESR. It made it harder to start. It was already hard to start. I don't know what else you need to know, but if you don't know that you need it, you probably don't...

a pvl is basically a mag with a linear timing curve.

wont run any lights

all it does it fire when the points touch like off a crank sensor or whatever.

it has a light flywheel for fast reving

been talk that for trails or lugging around a heavy wheel is recommend so motor can lug down in the rpms

so like the others said its great for dragging or duning without lights and wanting quick revving up.

4 months later, damn. haha.

See that the thing i dont know if i really would need one. Since i plan to make my 4mill to a full drag bike, well when i get a duner first, so i'm a lil unsure of getting a PVL.

Ive heard they dont give you any real performance gains, but yet ive heard guys that swear by them. So i dont really see the point in switching over.

Didn't really want to bring this up but any body have any dyno number comparing stock vs PVL.

Thanks guys.

How much do you weigh? With a pvl you dont have a heavy spining fly wheel so launching will take a lot practice to get it right. It would bog real easy. The guy above who said they were used on on road street bikes with positive resuls is probably true. But on road racing doesnt involve launching from a dead stop like drag racing. Once you up and running you on the pipe until the race is over. Most of a drag race, especially in sand, is the launch.

How much do you weigh? With a pvl you dont have a heavy spining fly wheel so launching will take a lot practice to get it right. It would bog real easy. The guy above who said they were used on on road street bikes with positive resuls is probably true. But on road racing doesnt involve launching from a dead stop like drag racing. Once you up and running you on the pipe until the race is over. Most of a drag race, especially in sand, is the launch.

I weigh 250 and didnt like a shaved flywheel. I coudlnt imagine how much I would hate a PVL. I ended up trading my shaved flywheel straight across for non cut one. I know jeff at fast doesnt recomend shaving a flywheel unless you just want a fast sounding engine (reving in neutral).