Run Carbs Dry When Done Riding?

Driggs

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wondering what most do when they are done riding....do you turn the gas off and run the bike till it quits or just park it, turn it off, and turn the gas off?

i've always heard that its not good to run a 2-stroke outta gas constantly....been told it gets hard on the engine cause your runnin it out of the lubrication in the fuel. I do know on the stock carbs there is a drain screw on the bowls right next to the drain tubes. if you want you could drain them that way....but i see no real need to do that.

i've always heard that its not good to run a 2-stroke outta gas constantly....been told it gets hard on the engine cause your runnin it out of the lubrication in the fuel. I do know on the stock carbs there is a drain screw on the bowls right next to the drain tubes. if you want you could drain them that way....but i see no real need to do that.

I second this! I am no carb guy and would like to know where the drain screws are? can any one show pics? i dont want to start wrenching on the adjustment screw thinking its the drain screw, also when the bike sits for over 3 months should you drain it than, or use fuel stabilizer and what kind do you guys use? some people tell me to go the fuel stabilizer way because draining it is bad for seals and boots! others tell me to run it outta gas and drain the bowles if it sits for longer than 2 months! but than again none 2 stroke owners, thanks Matt

I shut off the fuel and ride it for a bit to get the level in the carbs low, but not really run dry. I do it to make sure I don't leak fuel on the floor of the trailer. There is no need to run it dry ever, if your putting it up for a extended amount of time, you need to drain the bowls. Just running them dry isn't really draining them. It will leave enough fuel in there to gum up and cause you problems latter.

I just turn mine gas off when i park it, if your floats are set right it should not be running fuel onto the ground...

i wouldn't worry to much about emptying the floats either or putting stabilizer in the fuel, just run the tank to about empty or what ever, i don't even run my banshee from sep to feb, i pulled it out a week ago filled the tank with fresh fuel, kicked it a few times and it's rockin. if you are storing it for a for a year + or if it lives outside you might look more into emptying it when you park it...

I second this! I am no carb guy and would like to know where the drain screws are? can any one show pics? i dont want to start wrenching on the adjustment screw thinking its the drain screw, also when the bike sits for over 3 months should you drain it than, or use fuel stabilizer and what kind do you guys use? some people tell me to go the fuel stabilizer way because draining it is bad for seals and boots! others tell me to run it outta gas and drain the bowles if it sits for longer than 2 months! but than again none 2 stroke owners, thanks Matt

if you look at the left side of the stock carbs (left side of bike) you will see a orange/yellow fuel drain hose that runs to the swingarm and drips it to the ground. next to the drain hose on the carb float bowl (the dish lookin thing on the botton of the carb below where your air-filters connect) there is a phillips screw recessed in a hole. if you losen this screw you will see fuel drain out the tube and onto the floor (put a pan under it to catch the fuel) The carb adjustment screws are all flat head screws. so don't go messin with flat heads if your unsure of tuning your carbs...