Turbo Banshee

johstoncounty banshee

that was with the motor already tac'd up though, try it from a stop like what cam was saying. the plenum/air box what ever you want to call it will give the air somewhere to compress to till the motor can take it in and it will give your motor something to pull from for a second till the turbo spools up.

it wasnt already tacd up that was running in 4th rolling at idle

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

those pics of the track bike look like an a+s or similar turbo set up. its using a PLENUM and the NOS is to ge the bike out of the hole so the turbo will spool. its such an old outdated turbo design/ set up. if someone actually used the modern snomobile tech on one they would be insane. ( if it would stay together)...

you really have to know how to run one of those turbo set up's like that they are very very picky.. but dang they will acclerate something fierce when it does work.. the biggest issue is getting it to boost at the line and stay in tune...

A&S setup may be outdated compared to other stuff, but it downright works. you cant argue when with it when the bike continues to set records at every track it arrives at

your boost problems are exhaust related. You either do not have enough volume trying to spin the exhaust wheel (wrong turbo for the application), your tune up may be way too fat. The engine needs to be in a fine state of tune to have the exhaust gases expanded to their full potential. There is a common misconception that turbos need backpressure. Backpressure is a necessary evil with the turbo setup. When setup correctly there will be some. Too much and you will hit a wall where you cannot shove any more air into the engine because the exhaust is all backed up. Turbos also do not like feeling the 'pulses' from the engine. The pipes need to be merged before the turbo collector and is why you always see turbo setups with the dyno port two into one pipe. The fuel injection is going to solve a lot of the tuning issues associated with the blow through setup commonly used. as for the nitrous that is a trick that has been used since the 80's for a turbo that is too big for the application where they were unable to make boost sitting still at the starting line. It was usually used for the first 60' to get things moving. Some people running gas would run the nitrous all the way down the track and use it as sort of an intercooler.

your boost problems are exhaust related. You either do not have enough volume trying to spin the exhaust wheel (wrong turbo for the application), your tune up may be way too fat. The engine needs to be in a fine state of tune to have the exhaust gases expanded to their full potential. There is a common misconception that turbos need backpressure. Backpressure is a necessary evil with the turbo setup. When setup correctly there will be some. Too much and you will hit a wall where you cannot shove any more air into the engine because the exhaust is all backed up. Turbos also do not like feeling the 'pulses' from the engine. The pipes need to be merged before the turbo collector and is why you always see turbo setups with the dyno port two into one pipe. The fuel injection is going to solve a lot of the tuning issues associated with the blow through setup commonly used. as for the nitrous that is a trick that has been used since the 80's for a turbo that is too big for the application where they were unable to make boost sitting still at the starting line. It was usually used for the first 60' to get things moving. Some people running gas would run the nitrous all the way down the track and use it as sort of an intercooler.

Thank you thats what i was kinda thinking.So you really dont think the dual pipes will work or just make it a lil harder to build boost.

you have a problem building boost, and the pipes are contributing to the situation, along with the other things mentioned above. Could be the turbo is wrong for the application. It might be as simple as changing the exhaust housing ot the exhaust wheel, or you might have to buy a new turbo. Even without the fuel injection there is alot of things that you have to get right.

you have a problem building boost, and the pipes are contributing to the situation, along with the other things mentioned above. Could be the turbo is wrong for the application. It might be as simple as changing the exhaust housing ot the exhaust wheel, or you might have to buy a new turbo. Even without the fuel injection there is alot of things that you have to get right.

what size turbos does everybody usually use on the banshee?

• 4 weeks later...

This is an awsome project. I know there have been alot of people who have tried but havn't succeeded. I know theres got to be some guys on here that have put turbos on other small engine vehicles such as a snowmachine or Raptor 700. If we can get some of them to chime in, and some guys that even deal with turbos on their car or truck to chime in like camatv did, it could help alot. You off to a good start man!

i know ppl that have done shee turboes and stuff for 450's and 700's with very good success. a stock yfz pulled 40hp on the dyno he tested with and a turbo model, smae stock motor pulled 106hp at about 8-10psi. it was a kit, and not homemade, but if you play with it enough im sure you can get it to work great

the nitrous cuts out all the lag and reduces the intake temp tremenoudsly.

i have 1 suggestion, in all my drag builds where a turbo was used i had much more success

by dumping the wastgate into the atmosphere, that reduced back pressure and let the turbo spool up much quicker

which helps stop lag.it dosnt sound to good but it works. on a car i would run it out the side of the nose cone and if it had to be

streetable i would run it through a crotch rocket can (muffler), but you wont have to worry about that. most turbos have the exh and wastegate

machined in witheach other but you can find them made seperate. check ebay. ive made a splitter but only once, much cleaner buying the right turbo.

also a plenum would help in the cooling also, it would give the air a trap and even though it wont be in there long,

every little bit of time helps when it comes to cooling the air temp.

as far as the motor needing all these high $ upgrades, whats the difference in running a 50 shot of nitrous to what your doing?

your doing a fine job, if i thought i could tackle it and had the money i would try it. but for now, ill wait for someone like you to get it right,

then a company will buy it from ya and it will be all over ebay with the kinks worked out and then ill get one..lol..

my hats off to you!!

btw...more pics please??

the nitrous cuts out all the lag and reduces the intake temp tremenoudsly.

i have 1 suggestion, in all my drag builds where a turbo was used i had much more success

by dumping the wastgate into the atmosphere, that reduced back pressure and let the turbo spool up much quicker

which helps stop lag.it dosnt sound to good but it works. on a car i would run it out the side of the nose cone and if it had to be

streetable i would run it through a crotch rocket can (muffler), but you wont have to worry about that. most turbos have the exh and wastegate

machined in witheach other but you can find them made seperate. check ebay. ive made a splitter but only once, much cleaner buying the right turbo.

also a plenum would help in the cooling also, it would give the air a trap and even though it wont be in there long,

every little bit of time helps when it comes to cooling the air temp.

as far as the motor needing all these high $ upgrades, whats the difference in running a 50 shot of nitrous to what your doing?

your doing a fine job, if i thought i could tackle it and had the money i would try it. but for now, ill wait for someone like you to get it right,

then a company will buy it from ya and it will be all over ebay with the kinks worked out and then ill get one..lol..

my hats off to you!!

btw...more pics please??

Maybe he gave up? No updates for awhile. The two strokes have problems with the losing the charge out of the exhaust which is going to make it hard to tune. The turbo also has to be matched to the application or it will never work, no matter how hard you try. The two strokes work better with a positive displacement blower like the 'roots'style, but they don't like to pull a lot of RPM. I have seen plenty of people try to turbo a banshee and when it gets down to the end like this, you hear very little about it. I will be building a turbo shee here shortly and will be trying some things that have not been tried before. If it works out I am sure you will hear about it, and if it doesn't then you probably won't. lol